• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

[Ride Report] Pie Run VI - Medina, TX

We visited the museum Sunday morning at about 10:30 and stayed too long I'm sure and then took off in toward San Marcus. Wanted to take a dip in the river to cool off the rather warm bottoms of my jeans but caught the rain about the same time we got there so we went north to try to outrun it and ended up taking 79 east just north of Austin. That was a good albeit boring road all the way to Hearne. There we turned north thru Corsicana and then across the bottoms to home. I arrived about 10:30 dry. I mananged to dodge all but a little bit of rain in Austin and learned that 79 NE is too long and too straight and that 14 north out of Hearne is even worse. Good road but again too straight and too long.. I have got to work on the heat in the britches problem. My back held up ok and my shoulders were not as bad as rides past but I have got to find a way to get air between my seat and the other seat..

I have got to work on the heat in the britches problem. My back held up ok and my shoulders were not as bad as rides past but I have got to find a way to get air between my seat and the other seat..

Beaded seat covers like the taxi cab drivers use. They can be had for about $20

Sheepskin covers are also popular. Not sure about prices.

Airhawk seat cushions. Inflatable with channels for air flow.

Lastly, wearing mesh pants so that air can get between you and the seat really helps.

Beaded seat covers like the taxi cab drivers use. They can be had for about $20

Sheepskin covers are also popular. Not sure about prices.

Airhawk seat cushions. Inflatable with channels for air flow.

Lastly, wearing mesh pants so that air can get between you and the seat really helps.

Aluminized heat shielding on the bottom of the seat pan.. Comes in flexible sheets that can be cut to size and adheres to almost any surface

You can buy a white sheepskin at Ikea for $10-15 and figure out a mounting system. I tried it and it was nice on the stock seat but I really want to get an Alaska Leather (they run anywhere from $25 to $130 depending upon shape/size/options) or an Aerostich sheepskin. the white of the Ikea skin made the seat look like an albino beaver (my wifes description) and got dingy looking quickly, but it was comfortable.

I guess I'm not clear on what is causing the hot seat, but it would seem to me that the sheepskin would only make it hotter. The wood or maybe now days plastic beaded seat throw would allow more air in between the seat and the rider's seat or no?
:sun:

I've got the beaded seat cover from Whitehorse Press ($20) and I will not ride without now. Up and back to DC and it was a blessing in the heat. Just lets air under your butt makes all the difference in the world.

This is good to know. I'vee seen some around during the summer time and often wondered if they were hot.
Not at all. They provide warmth in the winter and cool in the summer just like the wool does on the backs of sheep. The wool fibers trap air even when your butt sits on them, providing insulation.

I just recently put the Alaska Leathers seat cover on my Harley. Saturday, I left home at 6:15 am and rode to Medina, 245 miles. After lunch, went to Vanderpool, Hunt, Kerrville and Fredricksburg before heading home on the back roads. Got home at 8:45 pm after 620 miles and about 11 hours in the saddle and felt I could have kept going. In fact, I was thinking an Iron Butt on the freeway where I could go 75 to 80 mph would be pretty easy.

I just recently put the Alaska Leathers seat cover on my Harley. Saturday, I left home at 6:15 am and rode to Medina, 245 miles. After lunch, went to Vanderpool, Hunt, Kerrville and Fredricksburg before heading home on the back roads. Got home at 8:45 pm after 620 miles and about 11 hours in the saddle and felt I could have kept going. In fact, I was thinking an Iron Butt on the freeway where I could go 75 to 80 mph would be pretty easy.

Very interesting. Here is their website http://www.alaskaleather.com/prices&sizes2.html

I would like to hear from folks who have used both to get their opinion and preference.
:sun:

Better late then never?
I headed out to the meet location that Fred (Red Brown) had set up for the ST riders and when I got there Norman (Tigernight) was already there. We were a bit early but still wondering where everyone was. At thirdy past meet time we decided Red or anyone else was not going to show so I took the lead. After a brisk ride out with little rain and passing some slowmos on 473 we arrived just in time. Up pulls Fred who did not manage to get to HIS :) start time and location but managed to almost beat us to the show. After the food, meet and greet we headed back toward Austin following Fred and his wondering GPS. I had been on many of the roads but since I was not leading I did not care to record them in my feable mind. We stopped at a low water crossing near aaaa the water and Fred and I took a quick cooling dip in the stream. It felt good to cool off and little did I know I would need it. I was last as we pulled away from the swim zone and I knew right away that my bike was not happy. As I watched the other guys fade into the distance I looked for a spot flat and cool enough to fix a flat rear tire. I carry all the needed stuff for this since I ride alone quite often. After a bit the guys came back and Red said " Try my fix a flat" He did but it was broke and spuwed gunk all over him. Hope it didnt mess anything up dude? It got enough into the tire so I quickly saw the leak and was able to do the standard snot string plug and away we went. Took another stop or two to check the air pressure in the tire and soon we were splitting apart to our respective homes. Nice day, nice ride and nice peeps. Thanks

Back