• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

riding essential: small bottle of Purell, or wipes for...

• Thread starter Deleted member 23845
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 23845

All,

Don't leave home without it: small bottle of Purell, or even better a disinfectant wipe in small bag. Why? Gas pumps when filling tank. Watch for sneaky virus vectors. Another in our neighborhood is the gate entry keypad. Stay healthy, be vigilant. Don't touch your face, wash hands obsessively, keep distance. YMMV.

I carry this in my pocket everywhere now,
6EF407DE-1CCB-4A37-9639-5F22C090ABD6.jpeg

of course I ran out of the original Contents last month so I refill it with this alcohol
9C208B0E-340B-4153-9CDA-65EEB44E6E6C.jpeg

I have always carried hand sanitizer and wet ones with me. Now I’ve added nitrile gloves for the pump.

Added gloves to my tank bag as well, the Valero near my home also has boxes of gloves for fuel mounted near each pump.

I think the general consensus is that gloves can be worse without proper handling training. Or so my nurse daughter tells me.

I just stick with hand sanitizer.

Purell, when I can find it, alcohol refills when I can't.
Single use gloves, learned proper use in first aid training, three times.
Paper towels to spray with sanitizer for multiple purposes.

Two nastiest things in most peoples' lives are money and door knobs. Treat appropriately. Anybody know how long Covid 19 lives on money and door knobs?

Seems some zookeeper passed the virus to a tiger, so now we know can infect animals, so stands to reason animals can now infect people. Sad.

I made my own Purell with a mix of isopropyl alcohol and hand cream, and with some tea tree oil thrown in, I think, to quell the alcohol smell. The online recipes all call for aloe gel, which is also in short supply right now, so a hand cream or skin cream suffices. The reason for the mix, instead of just pouring alcohol on your hands is the alcohol can evaporate too quickly to provide maximum cleaning - or so I've read.

I also carry quart baggies which can be slipped over my hand, both for pushing the pump buttons and for holding the pump handle. When I'm done filling up, I donate the baggie to the trash can.

If at all possible, I try to avoid picking up the virus by using a barrier, than having to clean my hands to kill the virus after a direct touch exposure. Barriers can be gloves or just about anything else you can improvise to prevent directly touching risky surfaces. For very occasional tasks like pumping gas, I've been using good old cotton gloves stored in a plastic bag. Studies have suggested the virus can last as long as 72hrs on some surfaces, but they also indicate it's harder to pick up the virus with/from cloth surfaces. Even if the glove becomes contaminated, unless you pump gas more often than once every 2-3 days, the virus is destroyed by the next time you use it. Besides, cotton gloves are washable and safely reusable. I'd rather reserve what nitrile gloves I have left for times I really need something disposable. Supplies are likely to remain tight for many months to come, if not longer. BTW, I was surprised to find that many of the touchscreens at store checkout counters react to a cotton gloved finger.

Safe glove handling, can and should be learned. I find it much easier than learning not to touch my face.

Safest thing to do, of course, is to combine physical barrier with hand sanitizer. We do that too.

My method is washing and sanitizing.

Makes sure what you're using meets these recs:

The way it has been described to me, the alcohol breaks the virus shell, and the water destroys and washes out the rest. That is why a 100% alcohol would not work. You need a ratio alcohol to water.

I'll leave this here:

"Some of the hand sanitizers made by the brands Purell and Germ-X rely on benzalkonium chloride instead of alcohol as the active ingredient. Such non-alcohol antiseptic products may not work as well for many types of germs, the CDC says, or may merely reduce the growth of germs rather than killing them. They may be better than nothing, experts say. But people are buying them without knowing the difference."

My sanitizers alternate between 70% isopropyl alcohol and water, Purell, Dial soap and hottest water, and original Listerine. Listerine is only 99.9% effective according to the bottle. After all, it is only 26.9% alcohol. Use twice, then wash. Dial soap is antibacterial, but follows everything else when possible. Switching through a variety of anti-virals limits my skin's reactions to any one from excessive use.

I have to go in several business a day, so cheap disposable glove on one hand, spray bottle in the other. Soap and water when the chore is done. Here's the downlow on soap: https://www.vox.com/science-and-hea...-hand-washing-sanitizer-compared-soap-is-dope Soap and water are all you really need, just so often inconvenient sometimes.

QTips are nice to have in your pocket for punching all those keypads at ***. Then you can just toss the QTip. I just leave my mc gloves on at gas stations. I'm sure they have nastier things than even CV on them ...

QTips are nice to have in your pocket for punching all those keypads at ***. Then you can just toss the QTip. I just leave my mc gloves on at gas stations. I'm sure they have nastier things than even CV on them ...

Qtips are a great idea. I have some, somewhere. Hmmmm?

I lucked in to a pocket-size spray bottle and keep refilling with 70% rubbing alcohol. Work gloves are sprayed regularly. I'll follow your idea when I get back on a bike.

I make my own wipes with folded in thirds Bounty select-a-size towels and soaked in 91% alcohol in a ziplock bag. Wipe down the cart handle and throw away. Go shopping, check out and drive cart to car without licking fingers. New towel, wipe hands again, unlock doors and load merchandise. Towel is still good, wipe hands again and drive home. Unload groceries and wash hands. I wash up after my trip to the mail box. A friend is making hers with Everclear and some skin softening ingredient. I think an internal dose of Everclear would be better! Mix with Orange Juice. rh

Filled the Guzzi yesterday, tried the plastic bag over hand trick: nope. Leather gloves off. Too slippery to hold fill handle, press lever and not have an accident. So, I just sanitized liberally with purell type: and let it dry. Getting home I washed thoroughly. Cant start Guzzi with gloves on anyway with finicky switch. Good tips here. Everyone be vigilant.

Back