• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Sam Houston NF

"That 2" of rain over the weekend caused a soggy mess resulting in the Calcasieu Ranger District closing the Claiborne Multiple Use Trail system and Loran Campground for the next 7 days, at a minimum. We will reassess next week and announce when the trail and campground are reopened. For any questions, please call the Calcasieu Ranger District office at (318)793-9427. Reminder the Sandstone Multiple Use Trail in Natchitoches Parish will be opening in 8 days (May 1)! The only OHV trail available at the current time is Hickman Trail of the Livingston Multiple Use Trail system in Grant Parish."

It's not just here!

Interestingly the trails are still open; last update was 4/17.

I do want to ride but don't want to crap anything out ;(

Trails are good. Rode 27 miles, lots of dry trails, little “mud” and a few splashy spots. I think maybe 5 or 6 spots with axel deep watering holes.

There are 3 trees down on south balloon. Two of them shortly after leaving the TH. One you have to blip over the other two have diverts.

Overall glad I rolled out.

Trails are good. Rode 27 miles, lots of dry trails, little “mud” and a few splashy spots. I think maybe 5 or 6 spots with axel deep watering holes.

There are 3 trees down on south balloon. Two of them shortly after leaving the TH. One you have to blip over the other two have diverts.

Overall glad I rolled out.
Glad you got out! Not sure when I'll be able to, 6 day work weeks don't leave much time.

Look for John with a GasGas.

Going to ride SHNF Westside tomorrow, Thursday 4-25-24.
Meeting at 208 Trailhead at 9am. Come on out if you can

Open but wet!

Screen Shot 2024-04-26 at 6.26.35 AM.png

A friend went to the Sam alone on a big KTM, not wise, still wet. He's lucky he's a beast to get that thing up.
"So went to test out the new tires and while they did great. I ended up testing myself🤣. I had to lay the bike down to stuff the hole I dug, then after I got the big girl on the dead tree I had to lay her over and drag to a position where upright was a possibility. GOOD TIMES! Oh, there is a tree down blocking the trail that ADV bikes can’t get under. Well medium to large ADV bikes that is.

Other than that NBalloon is not necessarily big bike friendly at the moment."

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1714177507633.jpg
    FB_IMG_1714177507633.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 28
  • FB_IMG_1714177501660.jpg
    FB_IMG_1714177501660.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 23
17 miles of whoops got me. Whipped. Pace wasn't great but did it nonstop. Weird conditions, summertime sand to perfect dirt, to bottomless ruts if pick wrong one. Did I mention the WHOOPS.

Attachments

• 20240428_090427.jpg
    20240428_090427.jpg
    891.6 KB · Views: 34
FM 2989 is washed out West of Falba Cemetery. There is a 30 ft drop off in the wash out that’s at least 20 ft wide.
The road is barricaded off and CLOSED.

23308DB8-438D-41AC-8730-934E0D236835.jpeg

Yoikes!! That's not a vehicle over there on the right, is it?

The last mark on our rain gauge is 5" and it hold a bit over another inch before it overflows. It overflowed. I have a big flat bed garden cart in the back yard that is about 10" deep and I emptied it yesterday before the rain started. I've not checked it since last night. I was over half full last time I looked before going to bed. So it could easily be way more than 6". Joe and Debbie Miller got a little bit of water in their house out off Bowden Rd. One of their neighbors got 18" of water in their house!! :eek2: We are high and dry, even after 22+" during Harvey we didn't have any water close to us, but the dam for the lake across the street was over topped. It got replaced a few years ago because it looked like Swiss cheese and had leaks all over the place.

Back