• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Sold - 2001 Honda XR50

Reaction score
Bought from a friend of mine a few years back. They really never rode it. I used it as a pit bike a few times....literally. Just has been sitting for 2 years. It does have stiffer springs on it for adults but I do have the stock springs as well. Easy to swap out. Tires are Michelin. They are in good shape but old. Needs grips and a carb clean. No title.

SOLD!!!!!

Eric
817-602-8167

IMG_2795-M.jpg

IMG_2797-M.jpg

IMG_2792-M.jpg

Re: 2001 Honda XR50

:tab Surely there is someone out there that needs one for their kid?! I have one of these and the kids have had a blast on it. Right now it has the Moose training wheels on it so Rachel (5) can ride it. I also have a TTR50E, which they love as well.

I do, but just not sure he is ready. He's five, already rides bike without training wheels. Are there throttle stops or something, I feel like he'd jump on it and run himself into a fence. Kind of thought 5 was too young, would like to hear your expire nice with little ones.

I do, but just not sure he is ready. He's five, already rides bike without training wheels. Are there throttle stops or something, I feel like he'd jump on it and run himself into a fence. Kind of thought 5 was too young, would like to hear your expire nice with little ones.

At these young ages, I think each kid can be very different (I've got 3 boys). My youngest is much more advanced than the other 2 were at his age. He turned 5 last week and has been riding his CRF50 since Thanksgiving. No training wheels, no throttle stop or any thing. He's too weak to shift properly, but we've already been to a few AMSA family ride days and he's done the kid's loops.

I think with patience and some work most kids can be quite capable. Post up if you want any more info or tips.

Later,
CJB

:tab When I got our XR50, it came with the training wheels. So I rode on the back steering and doing the gas for a while until the kids got used to it. Then I would let them steer while I still did the gas. Finally, I held on and prayed... Then I just turned them loose while I took pics and video. Daniel and Sarah both did great. He was five and she was seven. He is actually a little better than her, but I think that is because he has no fear and just GOES. But he does pay attention to what is going on around him and he does moderate his speed well. There is a spot on the XR50 for a throttle stop screw but ours was missing and I never put it in. For Sarah, the only time it was an issue was when she wobbled and went wide open on the gas. It would be good for keeping them from just flying off out of control. They both rode with the training wheels for maybe five or six sessions and then I removed them. Sarah wobbled a bit until I got her to keep her eyes up. Daniel TOOK OFF! They've both had a few get offs that left them a little rattled, but they wear the gear and they were fine. Rachel is now 5 and she rides the XR50 with the training wheels and me on the back. She's not yet ready to do the gas without my hand covering hers, but she does steer well. My rule is that they have to be able to ride their bikes well without training wheels before than can ride the motorcycle without training wheels. Rachel has not yet done that, but I think that is more our fault for not taking time to work with her like we did with the other two :oops:

:tab I got the TTR50E about six months after the XR50 so Sarah and Daniel could both ride at the same time. Daniel likes it because of the electric start. the XR50 is easy to kick start though and doesn't take long to warm up. Daniel REALLY likes it when I ride the XR and chase him around the yard while he's on the TTR. The TTR has a throttle stop, but it also has a remote kill switch that the previous owner installed. I think it has something like a 300 ft range. Push the button and the motor shuts off. I never used it though. I was worried that cutting the engine might make things worse if the kid were trying to correct and suddenly lost power. Only ONE time did I really wish I had a remote kill and that was when Sarah went WIDE open on the XR80R and had a pretty spectacular wipe out. It scared the pooh out of both of us, but she was unhurt, again because of the gear!

:tab The Moose training wheels are around $100 a set I think. They work really well. They mount under the foot pegs and NOT at the rear like bicycle training wheels. This makes the bike MUCH more stable in turns. I have never even seen the kids get one of the wheels up in the air on a tight turn.

:tab Grips for the bike are maybe $10. The carb is easy to clean out.

:tab Here is some pics and vid of Sarah and Daniel doing their first solo rides with the training wheels,

http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66916

and once they got the training wheels off,

http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71015

:tab I took Sarah and Daniel to do a class after they had been riding for not quite a year. Here is the report,

www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83423

:tab Then I got an offer I could not refuse, a nice XR80R,

http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84649

:tab If you read through those threads you will see where I set up cones for the kids to practice turns, swerving, and braking to a complete stop inside a box (with back brake only, front only, and then both together). I was just trying to get the basic skills in their heads. It really is a lot of fun to see them learn and have so much fun with it.

:tab We are all going to this event this coming weekend and will be taking all our bikes. If you can get the time off, it would be a good chance to come out and see the bikes, test sit one, etc,... I have the training wheels on the XR50 still, so you could take your kid for a spin and see how it goes.

Youth Trail Ride'n and camp'n Weekend March 15/16 - near Caldwell
http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92875

We are heading out Friday evening and will be there most of the day Saturday, but leaving that night.

The peg mount training wheels are better than the clamp on ones but they both work.

Mine were peg mount. Takes about ten minutes to put them on or take them off. They also do nice double duty as foot pegs for me when riding on the back with one of the kids.

My son started at 5 on an xr50 no training wheels. I tried the throttle stop but it is hard to get moving with limited input. He is now 12 and on a CRF150F , he had a TTR 90 in between. My daughter now rides the 50 and is 10 she did not start until 7 and is very conservative. She still does not like to shift. Both of mine could ride a bike without training wheels first.

Start with a small area and have them start and stop over and over until they can do it smoothly then have them turn and do some drills with cones or around trees. Scott mentioned gear a few times; this is important it gives you and the kid a level of comfort. Do you need everything from head to toe? You will have to answer but helmet leather footwear and gloves go a long way.

The kids already have helmets (2&5) and ride with me often. Actually everyday I get home from work they come flying out the garages or IDE around the neighborhood with me. ThAnks for all the advice and tips on how young your kids are. My 5 year old has been riding with out training wheels his bike for just over a year. We went the balance bike route and the kid was barley four and had it down in about 15 min. I ran behind him no more than 10 times.

I got a tax return coming in the next couple of weeks, I will definitely consider it. I wish it was closer to a birthday or Christmas, would be easier to buy as a gift ;-).

If it's still avalible I'll come see it Eric. I've bought stuff from you twice before! Maybe the third time will be the best of all.

Wish you were closer, I'd make you an offer. Just don't have the time for a drive up there.

Daughter is stoked to ride too!

:tab Got pics!? :-P

:tab How old is she? Sarah is 9 and would love another girl to ride with on occasion. She is a VERY conservative rider. She has no interest in racing. She just likes riding around. She loves going for DS rides and exploring little back roads with me on my 1200 GS!

:tab Rachel is 5 and she is riding our XR50 with the Moose training wheels on it.

:tab I am on the lookout for a good place to ride. My folk's place is good, but they are not up for having a large group of riders on their place, just the grand kids. I wish I had a similar property because it would be perfect. The trails are mowed with a big Kubota zero turn mower that cuts about a 48" swath in one pass. Also, anything it can go over in terms of terrain is not real challenging for the kids. So I have cut quite a few trails for them in the back 7 acres of the property. If it were my property, I would host a camp out weekend and have folks bring their kids up to ride. No racing though.

:tab If you find a good place, please post up!

Back