• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Specifics about changing brake pads

Kelsen

Reaction score
I've read a bunch of different topics here, and I recall someone saying something about a potential problem re-attaching ...something... - maybe a wire? Just wondering if there's anything special to know to do when changing brake pads on the Bandit.

Thanks.

RFT!!!
Dave Kelsen
--
There are only two types of people I hate; Those that are intolerant of other people's cultures, and the Dutch.

I've never had to do 'em,so I'm no help,....... but I searched "brakes" on the Maximum Suzuki board, and found this: "Changed out the front brakes today…easiest brakes I’ve ever done."

No issues when I changed mine. Easy peasy. I still have a new set of rear pads and don't have the Bandit anymore.

My DR650 was pretty easy. Remove caliper, remove pads, insert pads, install caliper. I did a braided line upgrade too which took longer.

Big tip! Break the Allen screw loose which holds the pads in before taking the bolts from the capilar. Before collapsing the pistons ( with the old pads still in ) spray a little WD40 or something to loosen up road grime on the pistons. Clean as much as possible. Then , slide the pads to one side and collapse that side, pads to the other side and collapse that side. Pull the allen head pins out, clean , put new pads in, allen head pins in. reinstall and tighten everything up. Not a bad job.

When you collapse the pistons, be aware that this action pushed fluid back up into the reservoir. Best practice is to crack the reservoir cap and watch the level (removing some fluid with a clean eye dropper) as you compress the pistons to avoid overflowing fluid all over your soon to be bubbled, painted reservoir surfaces. Ask me how I know ...

Dave

Back