• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

THE TWTex XR400 Thread.

Re: XR4 Repair/build/DS thread

Hillbilly heaven out here. I make so much extra $ off these guys running their ATV through creeks and ponds. That and flipping ATVs is kind of a cash cow for me and a buddy. Xmas time comes and ol bubba joe-john needs some extra cash, sells his 2008 can-am renegade that's never had an oil change, and is knocking for $1000. Another $1000 in parts and I turn around and sell it for $6000 around tax time to billy-bob.

I didn't do one myself this year, but my buddy had me fix a 2013 Arctic Cat MudPro he picked up for $2500 that was "running hot"

The radiator was completely packed with mud. Cleaned it out, changed the oil and filter, detailed it, and now he's trading it for a 2012 HD V-rod with 3900 miles.

That's awesome!
I've flipped a few, made out well some ok on others, and barely broke even on others. I do it more for the fun of the project, though it'd be nice to be able to turn a profit.
Problem with the houston area, you gotta live on craigslist to get the good deals.

OK, so SOME progress, but not much. Twas important though. I built a table for the rebuild, took my 18 month old to this discovery science place where kids enteract with sciency stuff. She loves it. I had a customer call me up, with a YFZ450 that wouldn't start. Problem is, he's got someone driving 10 hours through the night to buy it tomorrow morning.

Not ordinarily the question "why would someone drive that far for an ATV... THIS IS NO ORDINARY ATV. Its like a 510 stroker, with a 14.1:1 CP piston, and rod. Balanced, welded crank, Ferrea 5 angle valves mated to copper-berrilyum seats and some REALLY nice porting. Big cams, expensive titanium springs and retainers, and about 3 grand in suspension. Also... It has trail tech lights... Running off the AC electrical system... Put together with like 20 small pieces of 16ga wire hap-hazzardly spliced together, with ZERO insulation at the splices. It was obviously put there by a drunk child with ADD.

ANYWAYS, it was grounding the AC system. Everything works now, save for the bulb that blew in the fiasco.

Pics or GTFO, right?
IMG_20150219_174254653_zpsj3vpbpdx.jpg

IMG_20150219_174309370_HDR_zpsen1lqlwd.jpg

IMG_20150219_172503058_zpscsfvuwkf.jpg

IMG_20150219_172646110_zpsdiojf0av.jpg

IMG_20150219_174320017_HDR_zpsztfadicj.jpg

IMG_20150219_174334261_HDR_zpsxzdi68bb.jpg

Another update. I got up early this morning and did some things. I was really curious to see what the top ends looked like, and really just to familiarize myself with this motor. Let's just say I REALLY like how this motor is built. It just looks hearty. That being said, this thing does have some issues. I'm positive I'm the first person to see inside of this motor since it was manufactured. There is a ridge of carbon at the top of the cylinder. I can't tell if its worn into the bore, until I get the carbon cleaned off. The cylinder head had a lot of carbon buildup, but I got a lot of it off with some acetone, brass bristled brush, and minimal effort. (Phone died prior to pics) I'll probably just take it to my machine shop and have him bead blast it, and re-lap the valves, and install new stem seals. He also blasts through the exhaust ports to clear the carbon out of the exhaust plenum. He charges a VERY reasonable price, and he's the guy I used for the KLX that I just got done with.

I haven't checked piston availability for these, but I know I want to use cast pistons due to their lighter weight, and thermal stability. (Pro-x or Namura) I like the idea of running a tighter piston bore clearance. The current bore is spot-on 85mm, at to top of the bore. I'll probably go .020" over, if available. Forged pistons have their place, but a low compression xr400 isn't really it, IMHO.

Next up, is painting the frame. I used a sctoch brite pad to get all the dirt and grime off, but only after power washing it thoroughly. After a dry sctoch brite pad, I used a wet one, doused in acetone. I made sure not to get through the factory powder coat. It IS in fact the best primer if prepped correctly. After that, I applied two light coats of Bull Dog adhesion promoter. Guys, this stuff is awesome. If you prep motorcycle plastics, and get the surface evenly roughed up, you can apply this stuff, then regular 2-part (chemically hardened/ catalyst) base coat paint with a flex additive in it, and it lasts for a long time. I recommend this product to anyone.

I used Duplicolor Perfect Match aerosol enamel, in Toyota Graphite metallic. This paint is also a very good product. Flows out well, and applies really evenly, with great coverage. Also its available at every major auto parts chain store. After this I'll finish it with a product called SprayMax 2k clear. Its a catalyst clear that's impervious to gas and any other kind of chemical a xr400 can spew on it. Basically the same stuff as automotive clear. It has an internal chamber with the catalyst Gardner that you "activate" prior to use. After it is activated, the clock is ticking. In 45 minutes, it'll be hardened inside the aerosol can. The catch is, you gotta let the enamel base coat dry for a few days. Enamel paint shrinks as it dries, and really takes about 3-5 days (depending on weather) for this process to be complete. Prior to clear, I'll go over it with wet 1200 sand paper. Pics are respective to the text above
IMG_20150220_094000943_zpsoppwspy3.jpg

IMG_20150220_094007185_HDR_zpshncik4ty.jpg

IMG_20150220_094201717_zpsd0nfvew9.jpg

IMG_20150220_094231265_HDR_zpsyy6tvft0.jpg

IMG_20150220_100950543_zpscadoviws.jpg

All of this torn up metal was in the pick up screen. There was actually a little but more too.
IMG_20150220_102333838_zpsp1hugery.jpg

IMG_20150220_114151188_zpsge0konrd.jpg

IMG_20150220_114155086_zpsrnoammdq.jpg

IMG_20150220_114155086_zpsrnoammdq.jpg

IMG_20150220_114213023_zpsopmuntbj.jpg

My messy table. I've never worked from one of these before, but I love it. Normally o work off my 36" high work bench. It gets crowded quickly
IMG_20150220_120924760_HDR_zpsgj90ehki.jpg

Very carefully masked off the Vin, and manufacturers tag. It thinks these are the little touches that make the nice bikes really stand out. (I obliterated the Vin stamp. I don't like the idea of the VIN being out for the world to see)
IMG_20150220_135139_zpst7sqxhpr.jpg

Okay, so I knew it had a new stator... I didn't know whether or nownit was an aftermarket, ornfactory, and what kind of output it had. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong here, but didn't the factory unit only have like 4 poles wound??? Anyways, I PRETTY sure I've got a 200w stator here. I'm not sure, and could REALLY use some insight from those of you that have toiled with aftermarket stators. I'm not sure how exactly they had it wired, but I know there are two yellow, and two white, in addition to the pick up circuit, and the other two that have like, black tube connectors.
IMG_20150220_235520220_zpsfgpxbh4y.jpg

IMG_20150220_235559084_zps2wcwwk3j.jpg

stock had 12 poles and not all are wound, that one has a total of 17 poles, it should, with the right regulator, run lights and charge a battery.

Ricky stator, possibly electrosport, but they often use lime-green connectors, which are not present. I'm pretty stoked about not, either way

Another update in a few, for the 6 people following. Lol

I've been a productive little ***, the last few days. Y'all are lucky I'm even able to post, as the charging port on my phone is on the fritz. The only charger I can find that will do anything to charge it is some $5 *** gas station charger that I picked up in Jewett Texas.

Anyways, I was fiddling around in the shop. I was going to order my piston kit, but instead spent $100 on my "deductible" for a new replacement phone. (What a friggin scam ol Samir, and Hajda have going with that. Pay $9 a month, then $100 for your deductible on your phone insurance, then... When its all said and done, they send you a rebuilt *** some frat boy threw up on and washed off in the toilet)

Anyways, I went out, and decided to start the process in the order the parts should go back on the bike. First up was the swingarm. I need a new slider, and guides.

Next up was the triple clamps. I polished the lower, and will powder coat the upper. I'm sure some of you may be asking, "why not the same on both?" The answer is simple- because I wanna....

Actually the lower is a smooth part, with zero prep for polishing, whereas the upper is a sand cast part, and would require hours of sanding to smooth out all the millions of little dimples. Thing looks like Rosanne's *****.

Anyways, hope you all enjoy.

Also.... I'm wanting ideas on color schemes for this scooter. I'm kinda leaning towards black/white, hints or red, or some variation of the such

Also.... I gotta buy a new front rim. Where's the CHEAPEST place t get them? I wanna hear it all... From the dangerous Chinese ones, to the screaming deal on excels.

IMG_20150221_101357405_HDR_zpsjdemrgxk.jpg

IMG_20150221_124925939_HDR_zpsldddiysb.jpg

IMG_20150221_124824834_HDR_zpso9ujquzi.jpg

IMG_20150221_114808751_zpsyzlje9ct.jpg

IMG_20150221_124652933_HDR_zpsncntok5r.jpg

IMG_20150221_124652933_HDR_zpsncntok5r.jpg

IMG_20150221_124706640_zpsasgpmxxj.jpg

not a Ricky, Ricky uses pink epoxy and is 12 poles.

does the connectors look like this?
esg443_zps5977bd60.jpg

if this is it, it would be a electro sport esg443 high power 100watt + 50 watt floated.
ElectroSport designed ESG443 to have two sets of output windings: one is floated from ground and has two output leads, and the other is grounded on one side. Both windings also have different winding configurations to ensure optimum output.

Even if you don't need the extra lighting or charging output you can still use ESG443 as a straight replacement for the OEM stator and it is a very cost effective solution that way.

Next question.... How do I wire it up? I mean, I'm going to add a battery so I'll need DC power for that, correct? Which is the floated part, correct?

Here's what I got-
-factory style connector for the pick up coil.
-2 wires (one brown, one black) with black connectors that obviously plug into the factory harness. (Forget where they go)
- 2 yellow, 2 white wires...

Anyone know what the black & brown wires are for?
What about the yellow & white wires?

How would I wire up a battery to run the headlight and tail light off of it?

Never mind, I got it! Just got the PDF install instructions off their site. It says the white wires are the 100w for lights, or whatever you wanna use them for.... Their instructions say zilch about the 2 yellow wires.

They're pretty common for about $100 on fleabay. I really lime the way black rims look, so maybe I'll get both. Idk, they're pretty far down the list either way.

Cool thread especially as I've spent the weekend working on my new (to me) XR400, bought from Squeaky via TWT!

I have the Baja DS kit but needed to get a horn ($3.99 on fleabay including shipping from China, goodness know how they do it for that price) on & working for the inspection. One rat's nest of wiring later I've at least found the correct wires.

And let me say, THINK HARD before you use that Loctite - I've spent more time fixing stripped and broken heads because the thread locker has set stronger than the surrounding metal!

Anyway so far it's been the Gordon Mods, removal of the LOUD FMF pipe (stocker headed this way), sone new plastics, rear rack, chain & sprockets (14T x 45T), tracing electrical issues (ordered new 12V pack from Baja) and a whole bunch of OEM bolts to replace the mismatched and suspect ones currently installed.

Next up is wiring in some electrical for a GPS (waiting on more parts from Asia).

I think you're making yours way purdier than mine will be, I do have a PDF of the manual if you'd like a copy? Pics to follow...

Cool thread especially as I've spent the weekend working on my new (to me) XR400, bought from Squeaky via TWT!

I have the Baja DS kit but needed to get a horn ($3.99 on fleabay including shipping from China, goodness know how they do it for that price) on & working for the inspection. One rat's nest of wiring later I've at least found the correct wires.

And let me say, THINK HARD before you use that Loctite - I've spent more time fixing stripped and broken heads because the thread locker has set stronger than the surrounding metal!

Anyway so far it's been the Gordon Mods, removal of the LOUD FMF pipe (stocker headed this way), sone new plastics, rear rack, chain & sprockets (14T x 45T), tracing electrical issues (ordered new 12V pack from Baja) and a whole bunch of OEM bolts to replace the mismatched and suspect ones currently installed.

Next up is wiring in some electrical for a GPS (waiting on more parts from Asia).

I think you're making yours way purdier than mine will be, I do have a PDF of the manual if you'd like a copy? Pics to follow...

Awesome news! We can bounce ideas off each other. I HATE wiring problems, and this bike certainly had one. I got the new coil, but obviously tore the whole bike down before I could test it. Its got a procom cdi (new) also, so aside for the AC regulator, and the entire harness, everything is new.

You said new plastics... Which kind, and from where?

This bike actually looks pretty good as is, but its just not for me. The plastics on it are in good shape too, so they'll likely be for sale soon. I just haven't seen too many xr4s with anything other than one industries sticker kits, and I kinda am wanting something more simple than that anyhow

IMG_20150216_201005591_zpsjpmjmtxv.jpg

Awesome news! We can bounce ideas off each other. I HATE wiring problems, and this bike certainly had one. ...

You said new plastics... Which kind, and from where?

I just haven't seen too many xr4s with anything other than one industries sticker kits, and I kinda am wanting something more simple than that anyhow

I really don't mind wiring issues, they're just time & a multimeter (impedance checker being 90% of the game) and easier for me than the mechanicals. Mostly it's figuring out the rats nest left behind by a PO, I work super neat & then fault tracing is much easier. Shrink wrap & cable ties are your friend.

I got a new Acerbis rear fender (cheap on fleabay) as the OEM had been hacked on to accommodate the FMF pipe plus it had some pretty big cracks. As for graphics, mine runs incognito apart from the XR400 on the seat.

Apart from the general tidy up I'm probably going to put a Trail Tech panel on it and be pretty much done aside from luggage (Green Chili ADV soft racks with Wolfmans).

LMK if you'd like a copy of the manual, it's typically Honda, very comprehensive.

Now I need someone to help me set up the suspension as that's a black art to me.

Edit: did you see the XR400 thread on ADVRider? I'm working my way through it but it's packed with great info & links.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=302523

Last edited:

Thanks! I gotta wait till tomorrow when I have my new phone. No point downloading to this one. Leave it there till Tuesday morning, if you would be so kind

Back