• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Thinking of getting a Moto Guzzi V7 850

My 2012 V7 Racer was just bullet proof, and gave 18K miles trouble free riding. And I pushed the little heron-head block hard. My 2017 V7 III Special has been trouble free except for a burnt out main instrument cluster. That cost $750, the bike was about a year out of warranty, and Guzzi USA would not bend to cover it under warranty.

No quality MG dealer in Houston is a major issue, but I use an independent Guzzi expert to keep my Special tuned. She is a wonderful machine.
Mike won't be able to help you with the new gen liquid cooled units. He's limited even with the 2021 V85TT. The Euro5 software hasn't been broken yet and there's a slew of drivability complaints no one can fix.

Other than changing tires, top end adjustments and clearing the wrench on the dash, I'm not sure how viable Mike will be in the coming years. Fine for older bike needs but he's already several years out of date on the tech side.

In H-town, we need to accept that the nearest good dealer is 150 miles away from us.

Mike won't be able to help you with the new gen liquid cooled units. He's limited even with the 2021 V85TT. The Euro5 software hasn't been broken yet and there's a slew of drivability complaints no one can fix.

Other than changing tires, top end adjustments and clearing the wrench on the dash, I'm not sure how viable Mike will be in the coming years. Fine for older bike needs but he's already several years out of date on the tech side.

In H-town, we need to accept that the nearest good dealer is 150 miles away from us.
X1

I agree with your comments, but do not accept that Houston, 4th largest city in USA has a crap dealer. Same with Aprilia.

For me, I will keep my V7 III Special as long as I can get quality maintenance. Same issues with my MV Agusta.

The only Italian brand with a good Houston dealer is Ducati.

X1

I agree with your comments, but do not accept that Houston, 4th largest city in USA has a crap dealer. Same with Aprilia.

For me, I will keep my V7 III Special as long as I can get quality maintenance. Same issues with my MV Agusta.

The only Italian brand with a good Houston dealer is Ducati.
You're of a different opinion that Team Extreme is NOT a crap dealer? Or did I misunderstand? I wish we had an AF1 equivalent. That I would accept.

MPH isn't a MG dealer anymore as you know. But Mike won't be privvy to the new water cooled tech, special tools and Euro 5 electronics or computer to get into it. He's still the go-to for the stuff he sold.

You're of a different opinion that Team Extreme is NOT a crap dealer? Or did I misunderstand? I wish we had an AF1 equivalent. That I would accept.

MPH isn't a MG dealer anymore as you know. But Mike won't be privvy to the new water cooled tech, special tools and Euro 5 electronics or computer to get into it. He's still the go-to for the stuff he sold.
X1,

To clarify, Team Extreme is a poor dealer and service at best. They will never get my money.

E5 is changing the game, agree. Mike can keep my Special III running great. Just aired tires, after lunch a nice ride.

The 150 miles to Austin to AF1 just does not work for me. Otherwise I would own the Aprilia Tuono 660 by now.

I would like a MXG or Audace. However, just like several others, not having a local dealer has kept me from pulling the trigger. Have had good dealings with AF1, just don't wanna have to trailer to Austin if bike needs repair.

I would like a MXG or Audace. However, just like several others, not having a local dealer has kept me from pulling the trigger. Have had good dealings with AF1, just don't wanna have to trailer to Austin if bike needs repair.

I have complained to Piaggio-USA a couple times: no response.

I have wondered what would happen if we organized a group of Houston Moto Guzzi and Aprilia owners, and signed a petition asking for a better dealer? Would that maybe get Piaggio's attention? Customer revolt? Thoughts?

Not sure honestly. What's the true Houston interest of all things Guzzi? Seems there's a pretty good Ducati crowd. Maybe if there were a decent dealership Guzzi/Aprilia sales would pick up. With the recent launch of a couple of interesting bikes by both companies I think it would have decent shot to make it. I'd be willing to lend my small voice if some kind of petition were started.

I have complained to Piaggio-USA a couple times: no response.

I have wondered what would happen if we organized a group of Houston Moto Guzzi and Aprilia owners, and signed a petition asking for a better dealer? Would that maybe get Piaggio's attention? Customer revolt? Thoughts?
Piaggio Group is just about the worst umbrella company I've ever bumped into.
They absolutely do everything possible to ignore complaints and reports of systemic issues.
I had the MP3 500 at one time (Fuoco). I had one of the engines that had faulty pistons that would crack on a ring land and fill your airbox with oil.
Even with hundreds of owners complaining they maintained it wasn't an issue.
They also had a problem with early runs overtightened steering bearings causing them to "notch".
An expert in Great Britain found that one out.
They absolutely denied there was an issue but a short while later Piaggio issued a dealer bulletin instructing how to adjust the bearings word for word as the British guy wrote it.
I have already put in two help requests to Piaggio (Moto Guzzi) on my bike and not a peep in spite of several followups.
So - I doubt they'd give a hoot in hades about owner petitions.

@Brojon So how do you like your V7 850? Would you say all 65 HP are there? Pros? Cons?
I can honestly say I'm still pleased with it after I've put over 1,500 miles on it. It has a pleasing lumpy idle - sounds like it's cammed.
Takes a bit getting used to the right pull from the transverse engine torque - quirky but cool.
The power is definitely there. I have no problem getting speed even from lower RPMs. It's not a crotch rocket but you won't lose to a Harley either ;)
It doesn't seem to struggle even around 95mph as indicated. Wind is more of an issue than power at those speeds. One thing I love is it is stable in winds. I have to do a couple of flyovers on 183 and gusts don't budge this thing. Not once have I felt like I had a handful - a very tractable beast she is. I suspect that's a result of being "naked" without all the fairing junk. I have a café style Marlin screen on it right now which all but eliminates head bobble in head on winds but I think for longer distances at freeway speeds a larger screen is called for. The exhaust has a pleasing grumble and positively bellows when you get on it which is a surprise given the E5 rating involves noise levels as well as emissions.
I thought perhaps those massive jugs right next to my legs would be hot but I never noticed even on 95+ days.
Mine has shown no ill manners except for a reluctance to start when it got down to 60 last week. The tech at AF1 gave me a couple of tips so I'm going to try them tomorrow morning since it's supposed to be colder than that. I do need to let it idle a bit before taking off or it tries to stall unless you really feather the clutch.
In summary I'm 98% pleased with it.
{* UPDATE *) I started it no issue this morning at 49F. She must have just been feeling grumpy that day ;)
My only niggle is a small one that may get fixed with a ECU flash.
Cruising around 3200 RPM sometimes it will act like it loses power for a very brief instance - almost like the bike "pauses". Very odd and the tech says he's reported 5 instances to Moto Guzzi. I also mentioned that it seems to run a tad rough around 3800 rpm. His theory is that both items are a result of the ECU transitioning from closed loop to open loop in the ECU. That makes sense and is something they can fix in a better tune to flash the ECU with. How long that will take is big guess but it doesn't bother me sufficiently to stress over.
The bike is odd in that there seems to be a lot of vibration but it's not objectionable. My VStrom buzzed my hands to where they'd get numb. I've been on a couple of 200+ mile trips with the MG and not had any effects from the vibration. Must be in my head ;)
The seat is also very comfy but I pushed it once to 200 miles without a break and my butt wasn't happy - but nothing debilitating. The Centenario has a leather seat which is a bit firmer than most seats I've had.
Easily already in the top 10 of bikes I've owned and the first I've found nothing of importance to complain about after the honeymoon is over.

Last edited:
Easily already in the top 10 of bikes I've owned and the first I've found nothing of importance to complain about after the honeymoon is over.
That IS impressive. I'm looking at the Triumph Bonneville & the V7. I tend to lean toward the Bonneville simply due to having one
Many-Many years ago. But I have to admit the idea of a larger tank and a drive shaft ARE appealing. At 70 years of age I want to have
confidence in the longevity and reliability of the bike because the idea of having to push it is Really not what I want to think about.
Whichever I end up with I fully intend to put 60K-75K miles or more on it before I trade again.
Congrats on your V7.

Ah yes. The guzzi experience. Youll know everyone by first names at af1. They are a great shop though. My stelvio gave me carpel tunnel in the 20k i put on it. Cool though. A good reflash will fix fueling anx starting challenges. Smooth it out as well. Enjoy.

I have owned small block V7 Guzzi since 2012. My current is a V7 III Special, and I have my service done by Mike Haven here in Houston at MPH.

The bikes are just crazy fun, good at everything, easy to maintain but with quirks. The only issue with mine: instrument gauges died and replacement was expensive. Not sure why, possibly because I was charging the bike when we had a huge power spike in the neighborhood?

Dont fall for the Guzzi troll criticisms, usually made by young sport bike riders on Japanese bikes:
-- under powered
--knees hit the cylinder heads
-Guzzi going out of business since 1921
--zero dealer support.

AF1 in Austin is the only competent Guzzi dealer I know of in TX. Piaggio has just invested in a new Moto Guzzi factory in Mandello del Lario. Their best engineers are redesigning the Guzzi line. Watch reviews on the new V100: first liquid cooled, liter twin.

Besides, riding a Guzzi is cool. You can speak Italian phrases. DOCG Chianti will now be your usual wine.

My LD Guzzi troll bike Guzzi Packed in Big Bend.jpg

Guzzi on Maverick Road  Big Bend.jpg

Hey, I can out troll you anytime. Here are some pictures of my 2012 V7R, number 181. The old Heron head engine made maybe 40 hp. It had a five speed transmission that took 5000 miles to completely break in. Bought from Mike Haven at MPH in Houston when he was the dealer. Loved the V7R, but when Guzzi did a sales tour, after testing the V7 III with 50 HP, six speed, and much improved all around: traded. The V7R sold within an hour. It was designed by Michele Galuzzi...famous. The red frame with black was simply gorgeous. I put over 18,000 miles on the V7R. It was trouble free, but liked tune ups about every 3000 miles.

Attachments

• v7r_dec2914.jpg
    v7r_dec2914.jpg
    322 KB · Views: 129
  • Vtwin_group.jpg
    Vtwin_group.jpg
    193 KB · Views: 131
  • Vtwins.jpg
    Vtwins.jpg
    251.8 KB · Views: 133
Haha, at my age I'm not going to Need 100 hp between my legs. I'm sure the V7 would have enough
power to get a speeding ticket. And as for the knees hitting the cylinders idea, if your knees are hitting
the cylinders and you don't have enough sense to slide back a bit you disserve bruised knees.
And Yes, I saw something a couple weeks ago about the New Guzzi V100. Looks a little funky with the
exhaust relocated on the cylinders but what do I know... Actually I wish they would bring back the
Jackle or the EV1100 California. I really like those styles. But it's probably between the V7 & Bonneville.

Burgman 450, and a vitamin B12 injection? Nah. Try a used BMW R1200R (2007-2013, up till water cooled, about 2014). Outlasts, higher reliability, way outhandles, way safer overall, with great brakes, than any Bonne or Guzzi. $6-8k for a stellar low mile farkled bike.

Burgman 450, and a vitamin B12 injection? Nah. Try a used BMW R1200R (2007-2013, up till water cooled, about 2014). Outlasts, higher reliability, way outhandles, way safer overall, with great brakes, than any Bonne or Guzzi. $6-8k for a stellar low mile farkled bike.
But BMW's are not "perky"

Yep. After about 350k miles between 11 different bmws in the family, i should have known that! They really aren't perky until you ride an s1000rr or an xr. Or wheelie an r1200r. Maybe the newer r1250s are perkier as well but ive never ridden one.. but hey, even john wittner had trouble finding a perky guzzi.

I was into Guzzi beginning in 1974 with a V7 Sport, then a '81 SPII, then the last, a '84 Cal II. 4000 rpm smooth as butter. Never owned a brand with other owners as enthusiastic as the Guzzi riders. And you just have to love it in winter when you can put your cold gloved hand on a toasty warm cylinder head. Who could forget Russell Duke of Austin Tx at the Bonneville Salt Flats in the late 90's?

Yeah but the goose has flair, verve, pinache and iz mo fun. ;)

And you get to know the people in the dealership really well, and AF1 has nice people there. Plus as I've learned, Guzzis are perky :-) OK, I'll be honest; I love anything with two wheels and a motor that is not made in China.

Back