• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

We have a winner 🏆

Being a GenXer, I am in the nebulous region between technophobe and technophilic.

I ride with my smartphone always on an X-grip. Other than the initial set up prior to riding off, once my gloves are ON, I don't interface with it much, if ever. And unless I'm using it for GPS, the screen stays dark. It does light up when I get a call, which is rare but good for checking the number and screening the call. It's even rarer that I actually take the call while riding, but I do think the ability to do so can be invaluable.

Texting is just another form of communication. There is nothing inherently evil about it. Before my oldest left for college, quite often I actually prefer to text him, even if he is just upstairs in his own room. It's more discrete, saves me a trip up the stairs, and heck of a lot better than yelling on top of my lungs. Now that he's in college, it works even better. The flexibility of being able to mix synchronous/asynchronous actually makes communication far more efficient, if utilized appropriately.

That said, like any form of communication, there are proper etiquette. If I am in a face-to-face conversation, I do not check my phone. People that do irks me to no end. Even when my phone rings, I just click it off and check later.

Smartphone is a powerful tool. As with any powerful tool, the temptation to over-use and abuse is great. When I taught my son to drive, I told him if I ever catch him texting while driving, he can kiss his car goodbye... and he knows I wasn't kidding. Tool is just a tool. It's he who wields the tool that can be dangerous.

It's a pretty reasonable chance that texting while driving is what caused the wreck that caused me to divert my attention, thus causing my wreck.

This is the only case where I really do support autonomous cars. Like, I don't want one for myself, but if people are going to text and drive, I'd much rather have the car do the driving for them.

feeb743e6a78b427bdd8953e486feee0.jpg

Texting and driving = getting T boned by a Volvo truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Texting is just another form of communication. There is nothing inherently evil about it.

True for most anything thing. How we use it is what it is all about. I just don't like being easy to contact and people expecting instant response. That might also partly be because of my job. I am on call 24/7/365 and people get miffed if they have to wait five minutes for me to respond. I also just have a strong hermit streak where I just want to be left alone with no distractions. These two things do not play well together :-P

I also agree with those folks that claim that smart phones are addictive. I don't know why, but watch any kid that gets one and they can hardly stand to put them down... ever. It can be a REAL problem. My oldest daughter (15) has an iphone with no phone service (one of our old ones). She can text and uses it for music and a few games. We have had to take it away from her more than once because it interferes with her ability to get more important things done. She is not alone in this regard in light of what I am told by other parents. I also have the wifi cut off every night for any devices the kids have so they cannot use them after bed time.

It is not that the phones are evil. They are just a distraction that is hard to ignore for many people, even most adults.

Totally me except that I have never once tried texting while driving or riding. I hate having a cell phone. I hate that people freak out if I don't immediately respond to a text or call (which I pretty much NEVER do). I miss the days before cell phones. I do not understand this need to constantly be "connected" to other people. I really don't think it is healthy, just as the other extreme of never connecting likely isn't healthy.
This times 75!!! Thank you. I have no idea where my cell phone is. I only use it when out of town so my wife can reach me if need be. Why are folks so insecure now? Sad.

Not sure about it being an insecurity problem. At least not for me. My issue is work. During the weekend I only use my phone for music or TWT....

I like the phone camera and talking maps. Riding a M/C I like the ICE feature on cells. Of course TWT and some Youtube. The weather app I hane spots where I am and shows radar which is nice, Also like the severe weather alert. I can't hang with the selfie, it is scary :eek2:

What is a selfie??
It reverses the camera and takes picture backwards. Sometimes I push camera to take a picture of something and and its on selfie mode and it is like looking in the mirror close up at an old man. startling :).

What is a selfie??
A moment in time where the individual fells like everyone they know is interested in what they are doing and where they are at. A simple distraction of what is really going on around them. Look at ME!

Back