• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

What did you do in the garage today?

I knew I shouldn't have pulled the seal off to look.....

View attachment 295971

A slow, grindy day as the joints were a fair pain to deal with. I won the battle and moved on AFTER making grease ooze out of the new seals!

View attachment 295972

I was bugged by why is the left side so bad and not the right? It's usually the other way around. And the "patina" on those spindle plates is pretty different and no nearby fluid escapes to account for it. I got down on the driver side to start unbolting the axle and radius arm, and hey..... ah ha!

View attachment 295973

Scrapyard paint. And the bracket for the axle bushing is looking a bit newish. Oh..... One of these is not like the other.

View attachment 295974

Brackets for sway bar and the bent one is on the left side of the van. Methinks this had a big impact on the left wheel with something and scrapyard parts were used to repair. Nothing wrong with that, but geez..... a little grease next time??

I think this will be a slight improvement.

View attachment 295975

About those sway bar bushings.....

View attachment 295976

Anyway, both axle assemblies are now cozy in the garage awaiting new bushings in the morning and back on the van along with much of that gaggle of parts on the table.

View attachment 295977

On my Ranger, the axle/radius bolt comes up from bottom and a nut lets you take the spring off easily. Not this one!! Fine, stay there!
Fortunately on this one both axle bolt ends can drop right out of their mounts so separating them isn't necessary.
My Ranger has one side that has a cup of metal on the bottom so you have to separate these to get them off the vehicle.
That failed last try but right now a cold beer is not failing.
I use the MBBFH method (More Beer Bigger “Friendly” Hammer) to preswade stubborn components to bend to my will. Emphasis on the bend part. :lol2:

I knew I shouldn't have pulled the seal off to look.....

View attachment 295971

A slow, grindy day as the joints were a fair pain to deal with. I won the battle and moved on AFTER making grease ooze out of the new seals!

View attachment 295972

I was bugged by why is the left side so bad and not the right? It's usually the other way around. And the "patina" on those spindle plates is pretty different and no nearby fluid escapes to account for it. I got down on the driver side to start unbolting the axle and radius arm, and hey..... ah ha!

View attachment 295973

Scrapyard paint. And the bracket for the axle bushing is looking a bit newish. Oh..... One of these is not like the other.

View attachment 295974

Brackets for sway bar and the bent one is on the left side of the van. Methinks this had a big impact on the left wheel with something and scrapyard parts were used to repair. Nothing wrong with that, but geez..... a little grease next time??

I think this will be a slight improvement.

View attachment 295975

About those sway bar bushings.....

View attachment 295976

Anyway, both axle assemblies are now cozy in the garage awaiting new bushings in the morning and back on the van along with much of that gaggle of parts on the table.

View attachment 295977

On my Ranger, the axle/radius bolt comes up from bottom and a nut lets you take the spring off easily. Not this one!! Fine, stay there!
Fortunately on this one both axle bolt ends can drop right out of their mounts so separating them isn't necessary.
My Ranger has one side that has a cup of metal on the bottom so you have to separate these to get them off the vehicle.
That failed last try but right now a cold beer is not failing.
all that definitely deserves a couple of frosty ones.

I use the MBBFH method (More Beer Bigger “Friendly” Hammer) to preswade stubborn components to bend to my will. Emphasis on the bend part. :lol2:

It's been the little things that cause the most trouble, like getting to the nut on top of the shocks. That ended up being an old plug socket I could turn with an open end wrench, or I need to get this axle bolt out and who put the oil pan in the way?? My cages are '87 and '89 and I am fine with that!! :lol2:

Reactions: Tom
:thumb: :dude:

bulb.jpg

This just hit a major roadblock. Look at the radius arm!! I slid off the old bushings and went oh bleep.

DSCN6286.JPG

Of course that's the one from the junkyard and lookie at the receiver bracket!!

DSCN6288.JPG

I'll have the bracket tomorrow but so far the arm is not soon in coming. Screw anymore junkyard parts. Time for some lunch.

I was on the phone with Ford parts for like 15 minutes and the guy couldn't figure out what I wanted.
So I drove there and he walks me to the parking lot. "Where's the vehicle sir?"
On jack stands in my driveway and the front end is on the garage floor. :doh:
So he prints me an exploded view and I pointed and said yeah, that, looks like a huge bolt on one end, huge C on the other.:doh:
Young kid, good guy, probably a whiz with all the new model stuff that I wouldn't consider working on.
Unless Houston Ford screws up I'll have the arm tomorrow. And 100 bucks cheaper than Advance! That never happens.

I saw one of those at Lowe's the other day. What's the range? I want to get rid of a stray cat.
They will kill a fly at 5’ but don’t think they will do much to a cat due to fur. An AirSoft has a lot more “cat terrorizing” prowess though.

Good fortune doesn't always mean it will have a good outcome.
My mechanically inclined neighbor came over and I had him help me try and break the nut loose holding these two major parts together.
Heated until it was smoking, breaker bar and an EIGHT FOOT section of schedule 40 cast iron pipe as a cheater bar.
It was an amazing arc with most of my weight on it, but no budge the nut. Bleep.

Found a shop close by that said they'd try it for 80 bucks, but when I told him of the cheat bar results he said I am fairly screwed unless I want to just cut it out, and no matter what, it would be end of next week before it happened. Bleep.

Meanwhile, in the continuing stupidity of this job, I got both shocks off (bleep you to Ford designers) and lookie here!
The left one isn't right at all for the van and the shaft is bent.

DSCN6294.JPG

When the receiver bracket for the radius arm was off I saw what the big washers were doing to the frame and vice versa.

DSCN6292.JPG

DSCN6293.JPG

So back to the radius arm. Smart folks concluded as did I that if it didn't break with everything so bleeped up under there, it likely won't for some time with all the contributing factors fixed. The van is needed next week and compared to a few days ago, it'll be like new.
The radius issue can be corrected in July.

Pack them bearings!!

DSCN6295.JPG

The suspension is rehung, and the new rotor hubs and fresh brake shoes are on.
Tomorrow is the all new steering links.

DSCN6296.JPG

DSCN6298.JPG

This deserved a proper highball. And a hot shower. They went pretty well together.

DSCN6300.JPG

My hat's off to you LaserD, that looks like a major butt whippin'.

It has been, but I'm enjoying it because I'm winning the battles.
I make and drink a gallon a day of Rooibus sun tea and about 4 more liters of water with Hydralyte each day.
I feel great. Hydration over the top of normal really works.

It's back on 4 wheels!!

DSCN6310.JPG

I didn't say I was making it prettier!!
OK, what's wrong with the AC??

DSCN6307.JPG

Captain Obvious says duh!!

DSCN6308.JPG

Fan now blows harder than a politician and after charging is colder than Nancy's ice cream freezer.

Left rear door has been broken for a couple months.
Well, rocks in the locks ain't smart like a fox and break yer chocks every time.

DSCN6309.JPG

I'm burnt crispier than a bag of Chester's Cheetos in a nuclear blast. Time to finish this one tomorrow.

put new fender on XR650L... kinda a pain in the rear!! but after some time and patience... it looks a lot better than the oem... now, going to get started with new bars, risers, grips, and guards.

Attachments

• b4-2.jpg
    b4-2.jpg
    330.1 KB · Views: 79
  • after 2.jpg
    after 2.jpg
    294.6 KB · Views: 71
  • XR650L FENDER b4.jpg
    XR650L FENDER b4.jpg
    298.1 KB · Views: 75
  • xr650l after.jpg
    xr650l after.jpg