• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

15th Annual Smokey Bear Dual Sport Motorcycle Ride

Reaction score
First Name
Sander
15th Annual Smokey Bear Dual Sport Motorcycle Ride

This is an unofficial, no routes, no cost to participate ride; ride when, how, with whom and where you want.

"Its like Summer Camp for Dual Sports"

"Share the Joy of Motorcycling"

This is a mountain dual sport ride, most ride on plated (meaning street legal) dirt bikes or the most dirt oriented dual sport bikes. This is called a Dual Sport ride in that its the most convenient to ride to and from town to the trails, and to connect trails. ***NOTE - The trails can be very challenging.

At your own risk if your bike isn't plated and you ride on the street... its more beneficial to our cause to donate to the fire department rather than to pay a fine to the police department.
IMG_20230509_175922_504.jpg

There are parking areas at most motorized trailheads.​

There are adventure opportunities as well, usually an adventure group forms up. The New Mexico Backcountry Discovery Route goes through the area.

Bring your non-riding husband / wife / partner / kids / siblings also, make it a family vacation.

Ride Goals
The Smokey Bear Dual Sport Motorcycle Ride is about giving back, camaraderie, exploration, growth, and being safe; in addition to developing and renewing friendships so no one rides alone.

*Plus, escape the summer heat, ride in the cool mountain air in an alpine environment. And maybe the desert depending on the conditions or time of day.

1. The trails need more riding in, responsibly. If we don't use the trails we risk losing access.
2. More riders over a short period of time will demonstrate the positive economic impact of motorcyclists responsibly using National Forest land.
3. Although there is no cost to participate in the ride the riders make a donation to the Cloudcroft Fire / EMS on Friday morning at the pre-ride gathering to give back and further off-road motorcyclists cause as a responsible user group.

1672694586851.png

The dollar amount is whatever each rider feels is appropriate, and is made directly by the rider to the Fire Chief.
Write a check directly to the Clouldcroft EMS and get the tax deduction.

Unofficial 2023 Smokey Bear Dual Sport Motorcycle Ride calendar:

Sunday, July 23
- Prep Day
*Pre-ride dinner @ 630p Cloudcroft Brewing Company - Good time to meet & get to know each other, and plan for the week; rides, dinners / cook outs, designate group leaders, etc.
And pickup your 2023 ride sticker.

Monday, July 24 - Ride Day
Acclamation Day

Tuesday, July 25 - Ride Day
Exploration Day
*Dinner - Taco Tuesday @ 630p - Western Bar and Cafe $1.50 Tacos & $6.00 Margaritas
Wednesday, July 26 - Ride Day
Hero Day IE The Hard day

Thursday, July 27 - Ride Day
Rediscover Day

Friday, July 28 - Ride Day
Safety Day & Cloudcroft Fire / EMS donation @ the pre-ride gathering
*Dinner - Post-ride banquet @ 630p - Ski Cloudcroft *BYOB
Giveaway for a ride mug and banner.

348902876_2763627333773642_126417333472784900_n.jpg

Groups take off about 9a, on truly street legal dual sport motorcycles, with a day's worth of fuel or a full charge, ready to ride just after filming the daily video.

Willing group leaders are encouraged and appreciated.
The more group leaders there are, the smaller the groups will be which offers a better chance for similarity of bike size, ride goals, etc. You don't have to be any expert on the area to lead a group, just have an adventurous spirit and know how to read the map.​

As the ride is self-guided join a group or lead one; it is beneficial if possible to group up by:
  • Technical desire
  • Expected pace
  • Hours to ride
  • Bike size
  • Range
  • Etc.
Group sizes of 6 to 8 riders, or less seem to flow the best.
  • Similarity of daily ride goals equals more enjoyment and comfort for each rider.
  • If the group groove isn't what you expected, be prepare to split the group up further to increase enjoyment.
  • Be prepared for 80 miles or so between fuel stops.
The group I lead will take a lunch break in the woods about 1p each ride day, I usually bring a sandwich and a snack.

Group etiquette:
Daisy Chain method to avoid the dust and keep the group moving

***To keep the group moving, avoid the dust and so no one gets separated, the daisy chain method works great if everyone simply makes sure the rider directly behind them, and so on, makes the corner/turn, etc when the direction to continue isn't 100% obvious.​
Just because you see the rider behind you it doesn't mean they see you, and the proper direction to continue. Wave or make some other gesture to the ride behind before you take off, the rider behind should make an acknowledgement gesture as well, this not only confirms they see the direction to go, but that they acknowledge they will stop to wait for the next rider.​
To work though, each rider (except the sweep rider) must take responsibility for the rider directly behind them. If not its a total failure.
Also, take off from any stops in order of expected pace, and respect the spacing of the other rider(s) trying to avid the dust.
Lost
If you do get separated, stop at the last known spot the group has ridden, the group with backtrack to you.

Breaking off
If you decide to break off from the group, tell the group leader before you do.​

For your bike:
Prepare your bike properly in advance, with tires that will last 500 miles in rocky terrain, and be self prepared during the ride, you'll be in the mountains and maybe the high desert, have:
  • Plenty of fuel - be prepared for a minimum of 80 miles between fuel stops. If not be prepare to split off from the group to get fuel on your own.
  • Tools, and know how to use them.
  • Tubes, tire irons, air supply, etc.
  • Tow strap
  • Extra plugs, levers, etc.
  • Two stroke oil, if riding a two stroke
  • Be self sufficient
For you:
  • Food for lunch and a snack later
  • More water than you think you'll need
  • Rain rear
  • Money

Last edited:
Lodging notes.
The Spruce cabins have downsized their management of cabins. The upper circle is no longer being managed by them.

A new hotel is being finshed next door, I think this is it - "The Grand Cloudcroft Hotel anticipates opening in early May."

Of course there are other motels and hotels, AirBnBs / VRBOs and cabins... and camping.

This is a great ride. The trails around Cloudcroft are scenic and range from gentle forest roads to extreme technical. This should be a bucket list area for the offroad crowd. If you haven't ridden it, this is a first rate opportunity to do so with some solid riders who know the area well.

We rode Rim when I was there, parked at Trail Head 1 and rode through to Trail Head 4. Pretty sweet stuff.

I haven't ridden Apple Tree in years, I need to...

Seeing more of these this year.
IMG_20230509_175922_504.jpg

Still few rocks, in places...
IMG_20230511_182137_115.jpg

IMG_20230511_182254_689.jpg

IMG_20230511_182316_186.jpg

IMG_20230511_181939_266.jpg

IMG_20230511_182052_002.jpg

Last edited:
Apple Tree was a tough climb up, my feather weight body was bouncing all over the place with rocks the size of my head.

Also saw lots of down trees on Rim Trail TH1 - 2 and in the valley on the backside of Apple Tree.

I was looking for something else and happened upon the 9th.

One of my favorite pictures from that year. Reminds me of a starting line photo.

36246050442_bcf2cdf3f7_h.jpg

Last edited:
This looks fun.

Would a KTM690 Enduro work for these trails? Iā€™ve been to Big Bend/Terlingua Ranch once but nothing much harder than that. I did ride at GLS Ranch near Kendalia Tx this weekend, and the dry creek bed section kicked my butt.

A lot of the trails we ride a 690 would be okay but it will depend on your skill level on some of the harder more technical stuff.

A lot of the trails we ride a 690 would be okay but it will depend on your skill level on some of the harder more technical stuff.
Skill level is average.
Iā€™m definitely not interested in any of the super hard stuff like that Canyon trail or anything close to that level of difficulty.

Back