• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

15th Annual Smokey Bear Dual Sport Motorcycle Ride

I had ridden about 5 -6 miles of the Rim trail 2 years ago and Failed. Big time. Nice views but …. I soon Discovered there are numerous other nice semi - groomed Triails.
: Not a Spring Chicken😳

This looks fun.

Would a KTM690 Enduro work for these trails? I’ve been to Big Bend/Terlingua Ranch once but nothing much harder than that. I did ride at GLS Ranch near Kendalia Tx this weekend, and the dry creek bed section kicked my butt.

Most of the guys at this event have plated dirt bikes and like harder technical riding. I think it would suck for you to try and ride with them on a 690 when they hit the technical stuff, and it would suck for them if that had to ride easier stuff than they normally do so you could ride with them.

Take a look at pictures and videos from past events taking note of what size bikes most of the guys are riding.

That said, there are lots of easier trails and fun dirt roads and blacktop in the area your 690 would be really fun on, especially if you had someone that wanted to ride the easy stuff with you.

I had ridden about 5 -6 miles of the Rim trail 2 years ago and Failed. Big time. Nice views but …. I soon Discovered there are numerous other nice semi - groomed Triails.
: Not a Spring Chicken😳
Good to know. I’m 58, so also not a spring chicken. I’m interested in the nice, semi-groomed trails.

Most of the guys at this event have plated dirt bikes and like harder technical riding. I think it would suck for you to try and ride with them on a 690 when they hit the technical stuff, and it would suck for them if that had to ride easier stuff than they normally do so you could ride with them.

Take a look at pictures and videos from past events taking note of what size bikes most of the guys are riding.

That said, there are lots of easier trails and fun dirt roads and blacktop in the area your 690 would be really fun on, especially if you had someone that wanted to ride the easy stuff with you.

Yeah I don’t want to be the slow guy in the group holding everyone back. Wondering if there are any other riders going that want to ride the easier stuff?

I think most of the trails we ride would be challenging for an average rider on a 690. In the past, some guys have come to ride “adventure” style on the forest roads.

I plan to be there to ride a few days , I am going to be 69 Years Young next month.
So if you don’t find a riding buddy , I am your guy!
Not ready to give up Riding but not in a big Hurry either😁

We should be able to form up appropriate groups. Some may be on plated bikes but just want an easier day, or week.

When my wife rides we stick to forest service roads, sometimes she would met up with the group at a bypass of the stuff she didn't want to ride.

As Craig wrote, usually an adventure groups forms up as well.

Wish I was there now!
1686590091090.png

From post 1:
Groups take off about 9a, on truly street legal dual sport motorcycles, with a day's worth of fuel or a full charge, ready to ride just after filming the daily video.

Willing group leaders are encouraged and appreciated. The more group leaders there are, the smaller the groups will be which offers a better chance for similarity of bike size, ride goals, etc. You don't have to be any expert on the area to lead a group, just have an adventurous spirit and know how to read the map.

As the ride is self-guided join a group or lead one; it is beneficial if possible to group up by:
  • Technical desire
  • Expected pace
  • Hours to ride
  • Bike size
  • Range
  • Etc.
Group sizes of 6 to 8 riders, or less seem to flow the best.
Similarity of daily ride goals equals more enjoyment and comfort for each rider.
If the group groove isn't what you expected, be prepare to split the group up further to increase enjoyment.
Be prepared for 80 miles or so between fuel stops.

The NMBDR goes right through Cloudcroft, for bigger bike day routing ideas.

I can help on site with an idea to make a day loop, or loops if anyone is interested.

1686590461232.png

Last edited:
I plan to be there to ride a few days , I am going to be 69 Years Young next month.
So if you don’t find a riding buddy , I am your guy!
Not ready to give up Riding but not in a big Hurry either😁
Perfect! I don’t want to ride alone and would be great to ride with someone who knows the trails.

I’m trying to find a nice Air Bnb in Cloudcroft so I can entice my wife into coming with me, but she doesn’t ride.

I also have a Tenere 700 I could bring instead of the KTM. It’s a lot more comfortable, and I can do some decent off road on it, just not super slow and rocky stuff.

Last edited:
Perfect! I don’t want to ride alone and would be great to ride with someone who knows the trails.

I’m trying to find a nice Air Bnb in Cloudcroft so I can entice my wife into coming with me, but she doesn’t ride.

I also have a Tenere 700 I could bring that instead of the KTM. It’s a lot more comfortable, and I can do some decent off road on it, just not super slow and rocky stuff.
I plan to bring my Best girl (Wife) also. Now I can’t lay claim to knowing the trails……The ones I have ridden La Luz, Karr, west side rd,Lucas cny,Fr 64 ,Jim Lewis Canyon,etc are no worse than Big Bend River rd.The only way I would be riding the Rim Trail T105 / Heart Attack is if by severe memory loss!🙈

When booking any lodging ask about the cancellation policy if the forest does close due to fire danger.

Knock on wood we haven't missed a year due to forest closures, but it has been close. One year the forest closed and didn’t reopen until the Friday before the ride started.

The monsoon season usually kicks in early July or so but...

https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/cloudcroft/88317/daily-weather-forecast/334598

When booking any lodging ask about the cancellation policy if the forest does close due to fire danger.

Knock on wood we haven't missed a year due to forest closures, but it has been close. One year the forest closed and didn’t reopen until the Friday before the ride started.

The monsoon season usually kicks in early July or so but...

https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/cloudcroft/88317/daily-weather-forecast/334598

Good thing Cloudcroft Brewing Company has excellent beer and pizza, thinking I'll treat it as a Starbucks with better scenery if trails are closed.

This is a great ride. The trails around Cloudcroft are scenic and range from gentle forest roads to extreme technical. This should be a bucket list area for the offroad crowd. If you haven't ridden it, this is a first rate opportunity to do so with some solid riders who know the area well.
I have ridden many trails there, this is a great place to ride your Dual Sport!!

Lots of easy stuff you can ride there.
Sweet. Have a Vrbo rented. Looking forward to it.

Would it be worth bringing the T7 as well? I’d rather just bring the ktm so I can put it in the back of the truck and not have to haul a trailer 11 hours.

Sweet. Have a Vrbo rented. Looking forward to it.

Would it be worth bringing the T7 as well? I’d rather just bring the ktm so I can put it in the back of the truck and not have to haul a trailer 11 hours.
Your t7 is nice looking! Just remember, your at 10,000 feet. It gets a little tiring horsing around 500 lbs of moto at that altitude. May as well just take the Enduro since that's mostly the crowd your going to be riding with. I'll wave hello the next time I'm working in Victoria Texas👋

Your t7 is nice looking! Just remember, your at 10,000 feet. It gets a little tiring horsing around 500 lbs of moto at that altitude. May as well just take the Enduro since that's mostly the crowd your going to be riding with. I'll wave hello the next time I'm working in Victoria Texas👋
Thanks. Bought that T7 from a TWT member here. It’s so nice, I’m scared to ride it hard because I don’t want to drop it. 🤣

You work in Victoria?

This past weekend I stopped at Cloudcroft Brewing Company on my way to Ruidoso. It was great to be back in New Mexico and I'm looking forward to this ride.

cloudcroftbrewing2023.jpg

Thanks. Bought that T7 from a TWT member here. It’s so nice, I’m scared to ride it hard because I don’t want to drop it. 🤣

You work in Victoria?
If you don’t want to drop it, don’t bring it! There is lots of stuff big bikes can do here but it’s also easy to give into the temptation of “it should be ok”.

I’m up on my Africa Twin this week. I caved to the temptation on several trails. Only one drop going up a very steep hill. Wasn’t the hill that got me, was the stop on the very loose rock at the top.

One of the easier parts of Pines Trail 568. Once I got the front over, I was sitting flat on the skid plate.

60163B4B-AA89-44FA-97A1-222AD8FA0C4F.jpeg

With the brutal Texas heat and humidity, mounting up a rear tire was easy yesterday afternoon. Put the tire out in the sun for a few minutes, once hot it was nice and pliable.

Being 5 weeks out.

Lets take a look back at Day 1 last year. Remaster.

Back