• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

HILL COUNTRY 2024 Hill Country 500

Vote your preference

• Best Western $99 (single or double) +tax, hot buffet breakfast

Votes: 8 27.6%
  • America’s Best Value $69.99 (single or double ) breakfast: waffles, coffee

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Econolodge $50 single $54 double. Coffee, cold breakfast items

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • None of the above. I’ll make my own arrangements. (Camping or a different hotel)

Votes: 12 41.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I guess I wasted my time ($$) on this bike then?

Attachments

• 20221108_095132.jpg
    20221108_095132.jpg
    325.5 KB · Views: 43
Color me a maybe on this one depending on weather. Is there anything to hang a hammock from at the camping spot?
Its been a few years since I tent camped there. The tent area used to be any where along the river, no specific sites marked. There were big trees, but I am not sure you will find them close enough to set up. Best to call the office.

I've been watching for non-dirt tracks posted. Did I miss them?

Trying to decide if I'll stay at my place in Ingram and ride up each day. Bummed it's not based out of Kerville this year for that reason.

Last edited:
I've been watching for non-dirt tracks posted. Did I miss them?

Out there around Junction...most any map will do for finding pavement. FMs RMs & RRs

There are a few nice long lonely paved County Rds further West & South of Sonora & Ozona
A couple of RMs run mostly parallel to I10 hedded West outta Junction. Keep ya outta the big riggs path.

I had considered takin Strom A Thon further West at one time....but that thought never progressed much past the consider phase.

Attachments

• 20210128_203943.jpg
    20210128_203943.jpg
    394.4 KB · Views: 26
  • 20210128_204055.jpg
    20210128_204055.jpg
    326.9 KB · Views: 26
  • 20210128_204115.jpg
    20210128_204115.jpg
    255.6 KB · Views: 20
  • 20210128_210401.jpg
    20210128_210401.jpg
    343.7 KB · Views: 19
  • 20210128_210428.jpg
    20210128_210428.jpg
    351.4 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
I'm considering joining you all for this ride. Since I picked up a 2019 GSA I have been wanting to get into the adventure riding some. I did some riding in Mexico riding last year which had us on some dirt / gravel roads.

For off road I think I mostly prefer hard packed gravel / dirt when off road. I notice a lot of the bikes here seem to be smaller, lighter weight bikes and I'm wondering if something like the 1250 GSA is maybe too big for the off-road routes those of you here like to do?

I've been riding motorcycles all my life, mostly sport / sport tour. I put 112k on my last FJR. I rode dirt bikes as a kid, but that was long ago. I don't think I'd like a lot of semi technical single track on this bike. At my age, the bikes weight is felt. So, I'm just curious as to what type of off roading this ride would encompass? And if you felt like a bigger adventure bike would fit?

The other concern would be, finding the right group to ride with and the best way to go about that? Thanks to the organizers of the ride, I know the work it can take. Any input is appreciated.

I'm considering joining you all for this ride. Since I picked up a 2019 GSA I have been wanting to get into the adventure riding some. I did some riding in Mexico riding last year which had us on some dirt / gravel roads.

For off road I think I mostly prefer hard packed gravel / dirt when off road. I notice a lot of the bikes here seem to be smaller, lighter weight bikes and I'm wondering if something like the 1250 GSA is maybe too big for the off-road routes those of you here like to do?

I've been riding motorcycles all my life, mostly sport / sport tour. I put 112k on my last FJR. I rode dirt bikes as a kid, but that was long ago. I don't think I'd like a lot of semi technical single track on this bike. At my age, the bikes weight is felt. So, I'm just curious as to what type of off roading this ride would encompass? And if you felt like a bigger adventure bike would fit?

The other concern would be, finding the right group to ride with and the best way to go about that? Thanks to the organizers of the ride, I know the work it can take. Any input is appreciated.

I am considering bringing my GSA as well. I was originally planning to ride the 500 but it's on mousses now so I like to limit it's pavement exposure and I will be riding it for four days a few weeks prior at Rally at the Rock so I think I will have had my fill of the little bike for the month. If you're planning to be on a big bike and a few others here mentioned that they might be as well, then maybe we can get a big bike group together that will still be dirt focused but on the lighter side?!

Last edited:
I finally got my ducks in a row therefore I will be there! Staying at the Tree Cabin RV Park from May 23 to May 28. Have not done a group ride since the Medina County 200 in 2021, so looking forward to this. I can lead a group if needed as I usually ride with "Ride with GPS" linked to my helmet. I prefer to "cruise" and enjoy the ride/stop for interesting spots, not in a hurry to get back to camp and sit around. I will be riding a WR250R. :rider:

Did I miss it? What time is the rider meeting at Best Western? I might trailer in on Saturday morning and camp Saturday night

If you're planning to be on a big bike and a few others here mentioned that they might be as well, then maybe we can get a big bike group together that will still be dirt focused but on the lighter side?!
Sounds like a plan! Where are you staying? Best Western? Or elsewhere?

Who else is on a bigger bike that may want to join a bigger bike group?

I finally got my ducks in a row therefore I will be there! Staying at the Tree Cabin RV Park from May 23 to May 28. Have not done a group ride since the Medina County 200 in 2021, so looking forward to this. I can lead a group if needed as I usually ride with "Ride with GPS" linked to my helmet. I prefer to "cruise" and enjoy the ride/stop for interesting spots, not in a hurry to get back to camp and sit around. I will be riding a WR250R. :rider:
That's cool! Maybe you can help me with my Sena spider? Haven't had any luck connecting with other riders? Probably age related 😅...

Sounds like a plan! Where are you staying? Best Western? Or elsewhere?

Who else is on a bigger bike that may want to join a bigger bike group?

I haven't decided. Originally I was planning to bring the 500 which would have allowed me to bring my camper and stay at the RV park but I am not sticking this big old girl in the bed of my tall truck so I'll either have to tow it out or ride out. I have a place in Ingram I can stay at which I am considering doing but that'll require me to ride up and back each day and I am not sure that's worth the hassle if we have early and/or late days. If I elect to stay in Junction then I'll grab a room at one of the many hotels there.

I'm considering joining you all for this ride. Since I picked up a 2019 GSA I have been wanting to get into the adventure riding some. I did some riding in Mexico riding last year which had us on some dirt /

There are very few public roads in the hill country where your gsa would be out of place. Maybe best to avoid a couple notorious water crossings like james river but that's true with anybody. If you have to ride with loaded bags then the dynamics change a bit so plan accordingly.

There are many options for adventures on the many dirt roads. I've done a few surveys out that way and will take this opportunity to satisfy that "wonder where that road goes" itch that I oftentimes get. Google Earth a is great "prerunner"! See y'all there!

I can give it a whirl, though I haven't worked with a Sena unit. I use mine to connect to my phone and my riding guidance app therein.
Yea, I can listen to my music and GPS prompts but that's too much distraction offroad. Better to have the ability to warn riders of stuff coming up. Senas are supposed to interface with other brands...Let's give it a shot...
See y'all there

Back