• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Africa Twin thread

If you want to buy a brand new one, Honda of Russellville (Arkansas) will have the best price. I saved $2401 over the best price I could get in the Houston area and that included taxes.

Mine is pretty hard to find lately. I know I parked it in my garage somewhere.
I can relate. There’s a workbench and a couple of toolboxes in mine somewhere also.

Saw a nice Africa Twin on the showroom at dealer in Victoria today.... it was very nice. So was the CRF450RL 😀

I've reduced the wind buffeting on my AT a bit with a fork shield, but I need to go a step further.

I have the base model with the small windscreen. I don't want to go with a large windscreen for a couple reasons, so I'm looking at some windscreen visors, like the Puig.
1659109432683.png

Anyone have any experience - good or bad - going this route?

I've reduced the wind buffeting on my AT a bit with a fork shield, but I need to go a step further.

I have the base model with the small windscreen. I don't want to go with a large windscreen for a couple reasons, so I'm looking at some windscreen visors, like the Puig.View attachment 326139
Anyone have any experience - good or bad - going this route?

As you may recall, I have a forkshield and a cheap Chinese knockoff of that Puig addon screen. It works great for me, but I have a '19 with a Twitter stock windshield. I do still have the stock windshield from my '17, it's not immaculate and I don't know if the bolt pattern is the same, but you're welcome to try it.

Very kind offer of you, but I've found the bolt patterns - '17 vs '21 - are not the same ...

Found out why my windshield was a little wobbly at speed, the apparently common front subframe crack as seen in the rust line below. Spent a few hours today pulling it apart to get that out to mig weld it up. I'm a super amateur welder, but it was a fun little project. Hoping to get it back together tomorrow, we'll see what time allows.
1659845291519.png

Wasn't too bad getting it all apart honestly, we'll see how it is to put back together I guess.
1659845343344.png

The entire front side weld wasn't doing a thing anymore, boogered that up a bit first. Then I used a little CAD(cardboard assisted design) to make a gusset with some scrap metal i had laying around.
1659845532730.png

1659845556715.png

The factory gussets on the backside were holding it all together, i boogered up the failed weld on that side as well, now we'll see if it'll go another 80k miles before it cracks again.
1659845622268.png

Attachments

• 1659845478469.png
    1659845478469.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 95
I bolted the Camel Adv support brace on my 2017 shortly after I got it and it seems to have prevented a problem so far. You did a nice repair job.

+1 for the Camel Adv support brace, although it didn't help my Madstad brackets, which just both failed for the 2nd time. Madstad did send me a new set. I'll be doing a mod on the new brackets which includes anchoring the whole assembly to the Camel Adv support brace.

Mine has the camel adv brace, but cracked anyway. I've got the madstad windshield and it seems fine, what sort of failure am i looking for here @Flipit ?

Today while i had all the front fairings and junk off I finally replaced the cruise control switch pod/wiring so it lights up again, ended up fishing the wire out with a pull cable and back through to make it way easier and ensure it went exactly where it came from. I also finally ran my heated gear connection and tidied up the fuse box a bit. Put it all back together, then I relocated my tire pressure gauge to where i can see it better, angled it so i can actually remove the usb cable if need be. Honestly best $25 I've spent on the thing, no need to check pressure manually anymore, and can tell at a glance if i'm good to go.
1659910106056.png

...what sort of failure am i looking for here @Flipit ?
This is the 2nd failure I have experienced. I'll post up my solution when I get the new brackets installed - sometime after my garage cools down to under 500 degrees.

MadstadBrackets.jpg

Reactions: N+1
+1 for the TPMS.
Very nice to get up every morning on a trip and be able to see what your tires are doing before you roll out for the day.
I bought the solar version.

I think I want to trade my Vstrom 1K for a AT. You guys have some really good looking bikes.

I think I want to trade my Vstrom 1K for a AT. You guys have some really good looking bikes.

I don't know what year your Vstrom is but the Africa Twin is on a whole other planet compared to my old '04 DL1000. The suspension, wheel sizes, weight, and mass centralization (read lower CoG) are big pluses if you care about off pavement performance. It also doesn't have the fairing produces lift issue the first gen Vstrom has. The only thing I liked better was the Vstrom motor, but that was with a power commander. I haven't messed with the fueling on the Twin. It's not as exciting, but it's more controllable. That's an advantage anytime in trying to go slow.

I don't know what year your Vstrom is but the Africa Twin is on a whole other planet compared to my old '04 DL1000. The suspension, wheel sizes, weight, and mass centralization (read lower CoG) are big pluses if you care about off pavement performance. It also doesn't have the fairing produces lift issue the first gen Vstrom has. The only thing I liked better was the Vstrom motor, but that was with a power commander. I haven't messed with the fueling on the Twin. It's not as exciting, but it's more controllable. That's an advantage anytime in trying to go slow.
It’s a 05. Has tons of upgrades including suspension but I just can’t rip it in the dirt like I want to. A 21” front wheel and more travel would fix it really.

Attachments

• 2C547EDD-E101-48BB-B80A-77CE1B59EBEF.jpeg
    2C547EDD-E101-48BB-B80A-77CE1B59EBEF.jpeg
    511.3 KB · Views: 97
I got a ride in today. 30 mile round trip for cattle feed and beer. They say the DCT learns, and I swear it automatically pulls into the gas station to get beer.

Attachments

• The Africa Truck.jpg
    The Africa Truck.jpg
    174.5 KB · Views: 89
Here are a few additions that are really practical, as I'm looking at more of a comfy adv tourer than off road beast. Madstad's 20" windshield cleaned up the nasty buffeting the useless OEM windshield allowed. They were nice enough to offer me the 10% discount a couple weeks after the 4th of July sale. I had this windshield on my Tiger 800 as well and it transformed the bike. There was already a wind reduction plate added between the triple tree and fuel tank and I'm guessing its doing its job. An older GPS I found in my truck fit perfect with the cell phone holder that came on the bike, and I had two identical GPS units and power set ups, so it one fails, we got a spare. The $32 Chino TPM is a great safety device and can make the difference in keeping a tire repairable. Have one on my RT as well. The cell charger and voltmeter came on the bike. Added an OEM center stand on so I can service the bike easily ($211 from Chaparral). Then a $96 rear rack plate, that should allow me to stack enough camp gear to go out for a while without side bags. Found the top bag in its brand new packaging among my wife's old gear. Heck yeah! She had every kind of bike accessary know to man at one time. And my bike even came with a tank bag which will help capacity a bit.

Now, if anyone has a Corbin seat, I could use it :-)

Attachments

• Madstad.jpg
    Madstad.jpg
    166.8 KB · Views: 91
  • useful additions.jpg
    useful additions.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 90
Reactions: N+1
Back