• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Africa Twin thread

A mechanic that worked for me moons ago was adamant about tube-to-tire ratios.

His formula was simple - on-road replace tubes for every two sets of tire; off-road replace tubes with every set of tires.

He was also opposed to HD tubes. He was a long-haul tourer and claimed HD stood for 'heat damaged.'

I'm not sure there is any science to it, but we never had any customer complaints.
Thanks guys for the input. A TWT brother is going to help me with changing the tires as he has a nice machine, and my usual shop won't promise to change em, even if I pull the wheels and am ok waiting around half a day. I am looking for tubes to have on hand just in case I need them. Its always wise to have extras around if you are touring, especially since the rear tire size is an oddball.

I've put a 140-18 tube in without a problem before and that's all I'll but from here on out until I have a problem. Most of the bigger ones I've gotten from my local Honda dealer are more like 170-18 sized.

New tires new tubes. Keep the old ones for spares. HD tubes on dirt bike if you air down might help prevent pinch flat. Some say HD tubes are hard to patch. For your AT I would use new standard duty tubes and pack the old ones for spares, just in case you have a flat down the road.

RMATV also has the OEM rear tube in stock. Possibly less than the dealer price.

Screen Shot 2022-08-25 at 2.07.10 PM.png

RMATV has only the one for our bikes.
what shop sells this? RMATV says it looks like an OEM PN they don't have... I'm gonna grab the ones on hold for me at Ridenow Georgetown tomorrow a.m. Slap em in Sat with Texas Rider's machine. To bad Ridenow can't install the new tires for me like they have done so many times over the past years. They used to do it for me every couple months while I'd wait an hour or two. They were more customer centric once upon a time . Now they won't even make you an appointment for it. Welcome to the world of corporate moto shops.

Gary and I camped last night at the kriver campground. Adam Sandoval and his right hand man Matt came over and shared a camp fire. Adam has a 2016 Africa twin and he is selling his Jesse bags and rack for $600. Great deal! You can see the Jesse bags in action on his YouTube channel when he did the TAT.

If interested you can call Matt 321-505-4636

Hey what frequency do ya change oil at on these things? I see 8K listed in the manual but I'm thinking somewhere around 4K seems far better. I'm at 3k now from my first change since I've owned the bike and the oil looks nice and clean still, but I'm a fluids changing fanatic, with 3 sets of filters sitting around and 2.5 gallons of Rotella T6 tempting me to change it way early :-)

Hey what frequency do ya change oil at on these things? I see 8K listed in the manual but I'm thinking somewhere around 4K seems far better. I'm at 3k now from my first change since I've owned the bike and the oil looks nice and clean still, but I'm a fluids changing fanatic, with 3 sets of filters sitting around and 2.5 gallons of Rotella T6 tempting me to change it way early :-)
I’ve been changing mine every 2500 miles or there about. I use Honda 10w40 oil vs the 10w30 the manual lists. The oil viscosity is recommended by my dealership service department.

I have used T6 for years. I change mine at about 6-7k miles. Manual does say 8k. But if your bored just get after it Ed 😂

I run 5W40 T6 in mine. I ran it to almost 8k on my last interval, which was too long. Going for about 6k this time, which should be about right.

Ive got t6 15-40 in it which shoud again be ok for a warm weather fall as id purchased a 2.5 gallon jug. I noticed the gallon of T6 i just bought was 5-40 . Not sure why they are messing with viscosities. Maybe i should mix em :-)

Here it is... 2.5 gallon size. Wally mart, $59

Attachments

• 15.40 T6.jpg
    15.40 T6.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 80
I do mine about every 4000 miles. I use BelRay 10W-40.

I use Rotella in my lawn mower.

I do between 4000 and 5000 using wix filters
And Valvoline 10w 40 Full Synthetic

Back