• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Anyone want to do a BDR?

Reaction score
First Name
Frank
I’d love to do a BDR but I don’t want to do one on my own. I think folks would consider me to be a B+ rider and always up for a challenge.
I’ve never done a BDR but have a lot of off road experience.
I would prefer to do it with someone that has BDR experience but it’s definitely not a prerequisite. I can go almost whenever as long as it’s not between May 8 and June 24. Mid to late march would be ideal.
Anyone interested in a long ride?

A Backcountry Discovery Route.

Basically a ride that traverses land (usually divide up by state or region) that concentrates mainly on back roads.

Fellow gsa chap here. Despite the bdr crew filming folks riding BMW's, pick your bdr carefully. There's usually a go round for technical sections but not always and some bdr's don't play well with big heavy (loaded) motorcycles.

Fellow gsa chap here. Despite the bdr crew filming folks riding BMW's, pick your bdr carefully. There's usually a go round for technical sections but not always and some bdr's don't play well with big heavy (loaded) motorcycles.
Thanks for the advice sir. That’s one reason why I wanted to do the NM BDR first. It doesn’t look to intimidating or overly technical.

BDRs are fantastic way to see the state/country; I noticed that you are in TX, so the closest one is NMbdr.
I've been on 8? BDRs solo, so far from CA to NEbdr (although never done one end to end in one shot).

Don't hesitate to ride solo if you can't find a companion.

Couple of pointers;
- Make sure you can pick up your downed bike either solo or with someone else; Stirling Norris
has some good solo/GSA riding videos on YT.
- Pick your moments; If in doubt use your gps to find a go around a nasty section. Don't take risks, it will take
a long time to get medical help to you.
- You don't HAVE to do the whole BDR, pick sections, ride, take a day off, turn around, do some sight
seeing...... you don't have to prove anything to anyone.
- Make sure you and your buddy have a Plan B if something goes wrong. I always carry 2 days food/water in case
I get stranded.

The advantage of riding the BDR is that you WILL bump into others riding the same trail.

All the usual stuff like extra food/water/tools/ Inreach.....

Don't forget to have FUN,FUN,FUN.......

Great advice and thanks for the encouragement. If I do in fact go alone I may do the MA BDR. I believe it’s supposed to be the simplest of them all and I have family in MD, VA, and PA I could visit with.
Fun is the name of the game. Thanks again

If you do in fact ride the MAbdr - drop me a line, I'll be in the Wellsboro area for 10 days around
the 7th June so can "accompany" you for a day or 2
That would be great however, as of now I will be conducting a military test from 08may24 - 22jun24. The timeline may change but I doubt that it will at this point.
This unfortunately wouldn’t line up with your schedule.

Very cool, are you interested in doing a BDR at some point this year?
Not for sure right now. I have another trip that may interfere. Thinking about it though. What time frame are you looking at.

Thanks for the advice sir. That’s one reason why I wanted to do the NM BDR first. It doesn’t look to intimidating or overly technical.
Very rocky. Have a great skid plate. I damaged my exhaust on my V-Storm and a friend cased his KLR.

Im in Houston on a GSA also. I would be interested in NMBDR. I work 14 on and 14 off. So I am wanting to hit NM and Colorado sometime. Would you want to camp…or hotel…? Im not against camping but would prefer hotels when possible. Less gear to haul..?

Im in Houston on a GSA also. I would be interested in NMBDR. I work 14 on and 14 off. So I am wanting to hit NM and Colorado sometime. Would you want to camp…or hotel…? Im not against camping but would prefer hotels when possible. Less gear to haul..?
Finally someone that wants to have an adventure!
I had my mind set on camping and the occasional hotel, but I could easily sway the other way. I suppose it depends on how many days you’d want to stay out.

Back