• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

DROOL.... New BMW 800 GS is here!/New F800GS/F800GS (Merged)

$295 assembly prep? :ponder:

I thought the same thing. I suppose that they will pass on whatever cost they can... why? Because they can... at least for a while or as long as the market demand will tolerate it. With pre-ordering going on at full MSRP, I dont expect any discount whatsoever on anything related this model.

I hate chains. I wonder how difficult it would be to put the belt drive system from an F800ST on a GS.

Chains are a lot easier to change/repair than final drives and belts are very susceptible to damage from rocks, trees branches etc. off road.

I think they made the right choice with a chain.

I have two friends who have both lost the factory belts AND the temporary repair ones on an Alaska trip.

The only dissapointment about the F800 GS is that it does not come standard with seemingly standard equipment for such a bike (for its price point).

I would *like* to see the following as standard for a self-professed Adventure Bike.

Hand guards
Center stand (on chain drives are a virtual must).
And finally a bash plate.

All of these are extra available at your overpriced parts counter.

I get the notion that Hard Bags, top case and mounting brackets are all options/aftermarket. But it always amazed me that even the Suzuki VStom didnt include Center Stands with them either. To me, thats just stoopit.

The only dissapointment about the F800 GS is that it does not come standard with seemingly standard equipment for such a bike (for its price point).

Kind of reminds me of the first time I went to shop for an import pick-up truck, and found that the rear bumper was an option! Give me a break!

I don't think the hardbags should be standard on this bike, but certainly the hand guards and a skid-plate. Oh well. I'm still drooling over the bike.

You guys know me?

Here's an 800/650 GS for size comparison...

Attachments

• TOR 08 025.jpg
    TOR 08 025.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 128
Kind of reminds me of the first time I went to shop for an import pick-up truck, and found that the rear bumper was an option! Give me a break!

I don't think the hardbags should be standard on this bike, but certainly the hand guards and a skid-plate. Oh well. I'm still drooling over the bike.

Exactly.

Market a truck based on its power, load capacity, and show commercial after commercial of its towing ability and how it out tow's the competition but when you buy the the thing, having the ability to tow anything they say "Yeah... well, thats a little extrey!" :trust:

Yep, it used to be all the domestics as well....you want the fancy chrome one it costs this much, you want the shop down the street made painted steel bumper with our dealer name stamped into it, it is a little cheaper.

I remember standing in front of the bumper display rack when I was about 10 years old. My mom was buying a new Toyota pickup (Mojave Edition - anyone remember those? I think is was just a regional dealer installed appearance package, but it sure looked cool). I begged for the shiny chrome bumper, but she went for the cheap painted job. :(

Here it is in all it ugly gold colored glory.
24d2_12.jpg

Here's an ad, so maybe is was nationally available. Such a cool little truck. We didn't make it out of the dealer with that cool sport bumper. Couldn't mount a hitch on it, so my mom swapped it for the ugly one.
080404200.jpg

/threadjack

Last edited:
How about the part thats just below that claiming "Sports Car-like Performance" :rofl: :lol2:

Hey, didn't you see the part about 100 horsepower? :lol2:

Well, to that little kid, that thing was a rocketship. :lol2:

I remember standing in front of the bumper display rack when I was about 10 years old. My mom was buying a new Toyota pickup (Mojave Edition - anyone remember those? I think is was just a regional dealer installed appearance package, but it sure looked cool). I begged for the shiny chrome bumper, but she went for the cheap painted job. :(

Here it is in all it ugly gold colored glory.
24d2_12.jpg

Here's an ad, so maybe is was nationally available. Such a cool little truck. We didn't make it out of the dealer with that cool sport bumper. Couldn't mount a hitch on it, so my mom swapped it for the ugly one.
080404200.jpg

/threadjack

was that in California? I remember the Mojave edition, but I was in CA in the early-mid 80s. That pic looks like a SoCal type house as well as what appears to be a blue license plate.

Nope, we lived here in DFW when we bought it new from the dealer. I just thiefed that pic from the interwebs.

I got to see it last night.

Gulf Coast BMW has one sitting in their showroon right now. He let me sit on it! :eek2:

Its sold already, but at least I got to see it in person.

I just got back from seeing it in person. It is smaller in person than I had envisioned but that's a good thing. It might be a perfect bike for me if I didn't ride two-up so frequently. I guess it will just have to serve as a spare niche bike for me. It looks great. :rider:

I'm going to have to go take a look tomorrow. Not that I'm going to buy one new, but I'm tempted...

Back