• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Heading out

Mexican hot dog with bacon,beans, tomato,salsa, mayo, mustard. Chips and lemonade $5.50
IMG_20220418_130115930.jpg

HR just curious why you chose the DRZ400SM with a 19 inch front tire over your KTM 390 for this adventure you are on ? No rabbit trails intended. Love the report and photos.

HR just curious why you chose the DRZ400SM with a 19 inch front tire over your KTM 390 for this adventure you are on ? No rabbit trails intended. Love the report and photos.
I bought the KTM to replace the DRZ. I wanted fuel injection, 6 speeds, less weight and more power. The KTM gave me all of those, but it has the opposite problem from the DRZ, first gear is too high. Some of the tight switchbacks l want to ride would be impossible for me on the KTM at the speeds I want to ride. Also, I have not been able to find front sprockets for the KTM

Last edited:
What did you think of 191 around the St David area? Did it still suck with lousy pavement and whoop-de-doos?

What did you think of 191 around the St David area? Did it still suck with lousy pavement and whoop-de-doos?
The only part of 191 I remember doing was from Safford to Wilcox. After Chiricahua, I rode the dirt road over the mountain to Rodeo. Someone at a service station suggested I do 180 south instead of 191 and l' m glad I took his advice. Good pavement, lots of fast sweepers and good scenery. I have done the fun part of 191 three times in the last five years, or I wouldn't have taken his advice.

The only part of 191 I remember doing was from Safford to Wilcox. After Chiricahua, I rode the dirt road over the mountain to Rodeo. Someone at a service station suggested I do 180 south instead of 191 and l' m glad I took his advice. Good pavement, lots of fast sweepers and good scenery. I have done the fun part of 191 three times in the last five years, or I wouldn't have taken his advice.
Yes, 180 is a great road. Butch Cassidy's gang hung out around Alma "back in the day".

For those who don't carry cooking gear, what do you eat for breakfast?

Here I sit drinking coffee. BUUUMMMED. I can't find my trip log. 13 days lost. I write nearly every day, but I seldom miss a day while riding. New log book starts today.

If I don't carry cooking gear - breakfast is at a diner in the first town I pass. Dinner is in the last town... and I typically only do those two "meals" - with lunch just being snacks..

This is actually an often-overlooked way to moto camp. Camping doesn't require cooking. Eat dinner when you last fill up for gas in the evening, then drive to the campsite - might be minutes or hours away. In the morning, break camp quickly and hit the road - and stop for breakfast along the way. You can't really do this when backpacking, but as long as you pass a few towns every day, you can reliably do this when moto-camping.

But, more often I carry a jetboil for coffee and oatmeal in the mornings.

But, more often I carry a jetboil for coffee and oatmeal in the mornings.

My typical minimum is my MSR pocket rocket and a small pot to make a cup of tea. Never hurts to pack a mountain house or two in case other meal options are limited or unavailable.

I'm carrying a small pan that I can use to cook in. It also doubles as a cereal bowl. I left the house with eight packets of oatmeal that I premixed with dry milk, suger and strawberries. When I ran out, I bought dry, pre-sweetened cereal, but that requires milk. I like Jeff S's idea. Less to carry.

That saves a lot of weight and space. If I'm in civilization it's a quick trip to the arches for sausage mcmuffin and senior coffee. Lunch is fish steaks and crackers...candy bar when the clock strikes high noon. Wherever. I quit eating supper several years ago and just never really got back into it so two meals a day comes in handy sometimes.

Today was one of those days with very little natural beauty being photographed, but it will be one of the most memorable days of the trip. I rode about 200 miles on Route 66. For some reason, when the first older Corvette passed me it didn't seem unusual. The third one broke through my skull, these people are reliving the old TV show, Route 66. I saw a couple more and finally got a picture when one passed me going into a town. They stopped and so did I. Also, I met a guy on a 1961 NSU moped. He's from Germany and shipped the bike and trailer, yes he's pulling a trailer, to Orlando Florida two years ago. He just got the chance to pick it up this year and he is riding it from Florida to LA. His clutch is slipping and he seemed to be surprised that no shop could get him a replacement. He may end his journey early. I only have pictures on my camera, but will post in a couple of months, when I get back home.

Last edited:
Dennie, I am really enjoying your photos and travel notes. Makes me want to hit the road! Thanks for letting all of us join you.
Your welcome. Since you know my name,and even spelled it correctly, I feel we must know each other in a situation other than TWT. If you want to hit the road, I'll be in and around Vegas for a couple of days. Fly and buy:trust::trust:;-)

Back