• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

I will be riding in Texas soon - need advices

Re: I will be riding in Texas soon - Need your advices :)

I will check on hotel tomorrow (Friday).

We have been really busy at work this week and I have not had the normal free time in the evenings to mess with route planning. I'll get on that this weekend. Basically, I just plan to head West, avoiding the main highways as much as possible. Once we clear the West side of I-35, it will be back roads all the way to Kerrville. If we get there early, we can do some more riding in the area.

Arriving Houston today, but it rain too bad.
I drove from Airport back to Hotel without any issue, just missed one Exit :zen:
But when going out at night, heavy rain, so I saw at least two road accidents on free way.

Welcome to Texas!

For your Friday trip, Scott mentioned a few places. Might I also toss Luckenbach into the mess? Lot of folk history in that little place and it's always fun, especially on a Friday.

I like the Austin, Wimberly, Blanco, Luckenbach, Johnson City, Pedernales, Austin loop myself.

Very nice ride! Enjoy your time here and have fun!!!!
Hi Scott.
Not worrying for the bike now. I got something.... :sun:
So what is our riding detail then?
What time should I depart? I may depart from downtown Houston or around Zip 77095.
What time is my ETA back to departure location?
Where we stay for the Fri and Sat nights? What is daily budget? Anyone else will join us?
I normally wear leather gears while riding out. Is is too hot there to wear full leather?
I am anxious to meet you in person.

Wish I could bring my bike there..... :rider:

_DSC1676.jpg

Hey Scott swing by Bastrop area Saturday and show him a little cross country racing! TORCS is at the awesome Geortz ranch that w/e. I'll be there Saturday only.

It's great that more people join the ride...
Looking for a sunny weekend to meet up you guys.

Day to day on the leathers. Today? Good. According to the TV weather idiots, this next weekend...passable. I foolishly wore leathers last weekend counting on the predicted high of 89. It hit 95 and I almost cooked myself. I felt like I was inside the cow rather than wearing it.

Arriving Houston today, but it rain too bad.
I drove from Airport back to Hotel without any issue, just missed one Exit :zen:
But when going out at night, heavy rain, so I saw at least two road accidents on free way.

Welcome.
Hope to meet you next Saturday.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Visited my friend today. Tried his CBR600 within his house area and feel good, even with T-shirt, sandal, and jeans. ;-)
534410_531402813542209_2064134210_n.jpg

There will be some questions that you guys may help:

1. I will be riding from Downtown Houston on Friday morning. Does anyone in the group will ride from Houston too? Please join me as I am not so confident to get out downtown on the traffic....

2. I want to buy a replacement for my water reservoir + tube for my hydration backpack. It's 2 litters. I don't know where to buy around downtown.

Thank you.

Welcome to Houston! If your staying on the southside of town come to our wednesday night bike night, we normally have 6 - 10 guys telling stories and sharing laughes! :welcome:

Academy, Gander Mountain, REI, Sun and Ski, those are a couple of places to get hydration replacement parts. :thumb:

Do you have the ability to carry any luggage on the CBR?

:tab I have the route for West of Austin pretty well figured out. I am still thinking about the Houston to Austin route. We pretty much have all day to wander around and hit back roads rather than just riding straight there. I'm trying to figure out a good place to meet that gets us near good roads and is easy for you to get to. I am thinking maybe meeting in Montgomery. It is just West of I-45 from Conroe where Hwy 105 and FM 149 cross. There is a big Valero gas station right there on the corner at the intersection that would be easy for you to find. I don't know how to make routes on Google maps, but I have attached a Garmin GPS file. Maybe someone else reading this thread can view the attached file and figure out how to put it on Google so you can see it?

I figure we could meet at 9:00am. If you leave NW Houston, it would take you maybe 35-40 minutes to get there. Then we'd head North up towards Madisonville and do a nice fun loop. We'd work our way North and West of College Station, then run down to Independence, and the nice scenic and fun FM 390 over to Burton. From there, we'd loop around Lake Sommerville and then run some back roads up North of Tx Hwy 79. Here we would start heading West towards North Austin. Total miles from NW Houston, around 450, but most of it is 60-70mph so we can crank it out without too much trouble ;-) Ask your buddy what the range on the CBR is so I can plan gas stops.

Attachments

• Oct5Ride.gdb
    202.5 KB · Views: 162

I'll also put together a route for you to get home Sunday. I might be able to run most of it with you, but at some point will have to peel off to head back North toward Huntsville. I need to be back here around 4:30pm. But that gives us plenty of time to run some back roads instead of doing the main highways.

Academy has replacement bladders with tubes.

Academy, Gander Mountain, REI, Sun and Ski, those are a couple of places to get hydration replacement parts. :thumb:

Academy has replacement bladders with tubes.
Thanks guys. Got the water bladder tonight from Academy.

Welcome to Houston! If your staying on the southside of town come to our wednesday night bike night, we normally have 6 - 10 guys telling stories and sharing laughes! :welcome:
Hey, what the address is that? Any thread on TWT talking about that bike night? I am at zip 77002. I can drive there if not too far. :eat:

So who is riding and what days . . .?
I am thinking of joining the Friday ride to Austin.

So who is riding and what days . . .?
I am thinking of joining the Friday ride to Austin.

:tab Right now, for Friday we have just me and Viethorse. Meet in Montgomery at FM 149/Hwy 105 at the Valero. Get to Austin by a VERY round a bout way by dinner time at Rusty's place.

:tab I think we have a full group for Saturday. We have six riders. If we get more than that it gets pretty hard to keep everyone moving and to keep a decent overall pace (including stops). More than that and the stops start taking a lot longer for gas, restrooms, eating, etc,...

:tab However, we plan to be back in Austin by 6-7pm (before dark). We are thinking of an open meet/greet/eat somewhere like Rudy's BBQ on 183. It would be an easy place to get people in/out of compared to a sit down and order type of place. Maybe hang out there for a few hours.

:tab We'll be getting up and riding back toward Houston Sunday morning, leaving between 8-9am.

Do you have the ability to carry any luggage on the CBR?

:tab I have the route for West of Austin pretty well figured out. I am still thinking about the Houston to Austin route. We pretty much have all day to wander around and hit back roads rather than just riding straight there. I'm trying to figure out a good place to meet that gets us near good roads and is easy for you to get to. I am thinking maybe meeting in Montgomery. It is just West of I-45 from Conroe where Hwy 105 and FM 149 cross. There is a big Valero gas station right there on the corner at the intersection that would be easy for you to find. I don't know how to make routes on Google maps, but I have attached a Garmin GPS file. Maybe someone else reading this thread can view the attached file and figure out how to put it on Google so you can see it?

I figure we could meet at 9:00am. If you leave NW Houston, it would take you maybe 35-40 minutes to get there. Then we'd head North up towards Madisonville and do a nice fun loop. We'd work our way North and West of College Station, then run down to Independence, and the nice scenic and fun FM 390 over to Burton. From there, we'd loop around Lake Sommerville and then run some back roads up North of Tx Hwy 79. Here we would start heading West towards North Austin. Total miles from NW Houston, around 450, but most of it is 60-70mph so we can crank it out without too much trouble ;-) Ask your buddy what the range on the CBR is so I can plan gas stops.

I can transfer that tracklog to Google Earth and also to my Garmins without any issue. I can see the routes which you have been riding thru.
Need an application to convert the gdb file then I can upload onto Google Map.
Don't have time to do it now.
However, I am staying at Hyatt Regency so I can depart from here.
Just tell me the address or co-ordination of the meeting point, I will try to be there. Or if someone could pass by Hyatt and go with me, that would be great.

Hey, what the address is that? Any thread on TWT talking about that bike night? I am at zip 77002. I can drive there if not too far. :eat:

Here is link to the thread, you will have to keep an eye on it to get the final decided eating place for the week, we are really bad about not making a decision until Wed. afternoon!

http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8064&page=197

I can transfer that tracklog to Google Earth and also to my Garmins without any issue. I can see the routes which you have been riding thru.
Need an application to convert the gdb file then I can upload onto Google Map.
Don't have time to do it now.
However, I am staying at Hyatt Regency so I can depart from here.
Just tell me the address or co-ordination of the meeting point, I will try to be there. Or if someone could pass by Hyatt and go with me, that would be great.

:tab If you can see it on your GPS, then you are good to go. I did not realize you had a GPS to use.

:tab If you look on the map and find Interstate 45 going North out of Houston, you will see the town of Conroe. The main highway running East/West through Conroe is Hwy 105. Follow that West and you will see the town of Montgomery where FM 149 crosses Hwy 105. FM 149 runs North/South. There is a Valero gas station on the Southwest corner. That would be the meeting place. 9:00am.

Yes, I have my GPS. However I am trying to re-install the US map so it can guide me correctly.
Follow this link, you may check my route from hotel to meeting place and tell if anything wrong: http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=1...=30.07152725,-95.53116861,102774.05,0.102,0,0

Btw, I forgot to bring my tankbag with me. So if anyone have a tankbag could lend me for some days that would be great. Else, I have to use my laptop backpack to put my stuff. That is not a good way to store things.

Almost ready:

302672_531875656828258_994887239_n.jpg

I have a tank bag (small) that you can use. I will be downtown Houston tomorrow and can drop it at the hotel, send me your name and I will leave at the reception.

I am planning to ride with you Friday to Austin.

From mobile

I have a tank bag (small) that you can use. I will be downtown Houston tomorrow and can drop it at the hotel, send me your name and I will leave at the reception.

I am planning to ride with you Friday to Austin.

From mobile

Wow. That' s really great. Thank you so much for that.
What time you come by tomorrow?
If I am not there, pls leave it to Trung Nguyen.
And will you depart with me from my Hotel?
Thank you.

Thanks for your PM, will leave the bag at the reception, probably around 7:00 am before going to work.

I live in Katy (west of downtown) let's see if I go to the hotel to ride and meet Scott. I will confirm...

From mobile

Last edited:

Friendly reminder- take it easy around town, especially Montgomery. I know you guys know this but our visitor needs to know. Wish I could go along but the planets aren't in alignment.:mrgreen:

Back