• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Lane Splitting SB506 [mega merge]

What, first lane splitting, now thread splitting? :rofl:

Lets catch it next time around. I'll lock this thread after this session and we can start clean in two years...if it doesn't pass this time.

Hopefully it'll pass this year and we can start a new thread about how all the cagers are trying to run us off the road :lol2:

Yeah I know this sucks, I really hope this bill gets passed, I got my hopes up two years ago when it was SB506 and it passed thru the Senate with no problems, only to sit there in the House and rot. Unfortunately, I am afraid with so much on the table this year, school financing, budget deficits, and redistricting, this bill with hundreds of others will fall by the wayside, as the limited time available winds down.

It looks like HB1571 died in committee again... does anyone have info that differs? replacement Bill?

Thanks

Erik

Even if it passes, i am still not going to do it here in Houston. Too many Things that could go wrong here.

If passed you wont catch me doing it in Houston unless there is some kind of massive marketing campaign about it. Without properly educating the population people wont tolerate it and I believe will intentionally try to prevent it.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2

If passed you wont catch me doing it in Houston unless there is some kind of massive marketing campaign about it. Without properly educating the population people wont tolerate it and I believe will intentionally try to prevent it.

You are absolutely correct! And here in my area we have idiots doing it in sparse traffic that will eventually cause retaliation by the cager.

So if made a legal option, you will not take advantage of it, because your afraid others may not like it?

Hmm, ok,, I can accept your position on it's face at the same time disagree with it and my opinions.

Many folks disagree with you riding a motorcycle, as you are a potential funding disaster to the city and state coffers. Same with my ownership of a gun, someone else's drinking of alcohol in there home, another's black skin, belief in a god at all, or other then the one they do.

Even though all those things are protected by law, or higher principles..... some will disagree, even to the point, they physically try and stop others.. to those that do, I say, give it your best shot, but you will not be unopposed. That is not bravado, that is simply who I am, what I was raised to think, and what I have spent a career believing.

Last edited:
So if made a legal option, you will not take advantage of it, because your afraid others may not like it?

Hmm No. People would be realistically concerned that without an effort by the State to inform people of the change some commuters would take actions to prevent lane splitting that would endanger riders and are adult enough to think the extra risk may not be worth the bother. Personally I can see both sides.

Hmm No. People would be realistically concerned that without an effort by the State to inform people of the change some commuters would take actions to prevent lane splitting that would endanger riders and are adult enough to think the extra risk may not be worth the bother. Personally I can see both sides.

:giveup: If that is a way a person feels on the topic, I support them in there personal opinion..and decision to not do something legal, and morel, because others may not like it or it exceeds there own personal comfort and security level.. That last part makes sense to me completely.. to not ride a street bike, jump from an airplane, ride a dirt bike or even ride a horse, simply because it is an activity with risks that are beyond what the individual is willing to risk.. I get that... and would never have hard feelings about it.
It's the part about not doing something legal, morel and otherwise ethical just because some insane person out there MIGHT get mad at me for choosing to do something IAW the current law.... That I don't get.

Wanting "State to inform people of the change" sounds alot like a A: waste of time, it has failed thus far with "Look for Motorcycles" "Don't drink and drive" "dont text and drive" "only use hands free cell phones" B: worth a shot to toss up some bill boards and radio ads.. but Im not holding my breath that it will make a difference.

If I mis understood the above posts and they are just the personal security risk kind of thing, my apologies... And well.. I don't live in Huston... Perhaps you all have so many insane people there .... it really is a risk to live, ride, lane share :lol:

bones...I disagree with your innuendo and attempted slight with the adult comment... But will say, it cuts both ways.

Last edited:
It's interesting to me that car drivers get all foamy at the mouth when you talk about lane splitting on the motorcycle, but then the same car drivers don't see anything wrong with "sharing" a lane with bicyclists when they blow by at 50 mph 16 inches from their handlebars...

Hmm, ok,, I can accept your position on it's face at the same time disagree with it and my opinions.

Many folks disagree with you riding a motorcycle, as you are a potential funding disaster to the city and state coffers. Same with my ownership of a gun, someone else's drinking of alcohol in there home, another's black skin, belief in a god at all, or other then the one they do.

Even though all those things are protected by law, or higher principles..... some will disagree, even to the point, they physically try and stop others.. to those that do, I say, give it your best shot, but you will not be unopposed. That is not bravado, that is simply who I am, what I was raised to think, and what I have spent a career believing.

Having a hard time understanding your comment.....if in relation to my post above yours. I DO lane split/share, just not in SPARSE traffic[no need to]. Yet there are those that split ALL THE TIME, which IMHO is going to cause SOME-not all, cagers to become infuriated and perhaps doing "street justice".

This!

:giveup: If that is a way a person feels on the topic, I support them in there personal opinion..and decision to not do something legal, and morel, because others may not like it or it exceeds there own personal comfort and security level.. That last part makes sense to me completely.. to not ride a street bike, jump from an airplane, ride a dirt bike or even ride a horse, simply because it is an activity with risks that are beyond what the individual is willing to risk.. I get that... and would never have hard feelings about it.
It's the part about not doing something legal, morel and otherwise ethical just because some insane person out there MIGHT get mad at me for choosing to do something IAW the current law.... That I don't get.

Wanting "State to inform people of the change" sounds alot like a A: waste of time, it has failed thus far with "Look for Motorcycles" "Don't drink and drive" "dont text and drive" "only use hands free cell phones" B: worth a shot to toss up some bill boards and radio ads.. but Im not holding my breath that it will make a difference.

If I mis understood the above posts and they are just the personal security risk kind of thing, my apologies... And well.. I don't live in Huston... Perhaps you all have so many insane people there .... it really is a risk to live, ride, lane share :lol:

bones...I disagree with your innuendo and attempted slight with the adult comment... But will say, it cuts both ways.

I will definitely be splitting lanes when I am confident that most people in the state are familiar with the law. Until then i have been getting around just fine without such a law for the last 23 years. :-) If I were visiting LA I would not be worried. Cagers there is very familiar with lane splitting.

It's interesting to me that car drivers get all foamy at the mouth when you talk about lane splitting on the motorcycle, but then the same car drivers don't see anything wrong with "sharing" a lane with bicyclists when they blow by at 50 mph 16 inches from their handlebars...

You mean passing as close as 3'..... no ... wait..... Gov. Perry vetoed that. We do have the law in Austin though.

Ok, overtaking and sharing/splitting differ. Bicyclists typically ride to the right either in bike lanes, shoulder, or near the curb line. Sharing or splitting is passing between lanes (hopefully) moving in the same direction.

As a runner who often gets passed by cars going 50, 60, 70 mph on rural roads I can really sympathize with that. On the other hand I'd like to see a law with draconian punishment for bicyclists that are lane splitting and blocking traffic. It seems that every time I'm near Rice I work to pass someone on a bicycle only to have them lane split when I stop at the next red light. Inevitably they run the light and get in the way again.

I will definitely be splitting lanes when I am confident that most people in the state are familiar with the law. Until then i have been getting around just fine without such a law for the last 23 years. :-) If I were visiting LA I would not be worried. Cagers there is very familiar with lane splitting.

+1. I've had Texans try to close the gaps I'm splitting in- even when it's 106degF outside and I'm only splitting to keep moving so that the heat doesn't pool up quite so much. Texans drive almost solely with their egos, so until they've been educated that lane splitting is legal, and probably until someone is prosecuted for vehicular homicide for killing a lane splitter, they're unlikely to accept your splitting without putting up a fight.

I'd probably start splitting the moment it was legal, however, just because I could, and would either wind up being that vehicular homicide, or just relegated to dodging to the other side of cars that try and close the gap I'm aiming at.

I split a bit today on the way home, jammed on 75. I follow the Cali rules when I do it. Some guy today did not like it at all.

when I lived in San Antonio in the early 80s I used to split lanes on my 550 Seca all the time. I just didn't know I was being bad.

I don't do it now ('cause I am chicken ****).

But no way I'll stay at a stuck traffic light.

Back