• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Looking for curvy paved routes *EAST* of Austin other than 969 to Bastrop, Bastrop State Park 1A, 304 to 2571 to Smithville and back via 535

Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Collins
I have been riding west of Austin for almost 20 years, and now live east of Downtown, and I am looking for interesting curvy roads EAST of Austin. Willing to go North or south to find them. I live near 969 and Decker Lane and am looking for breakfast ride destinations that are 40-100 miles away.

Last edited:
That roadcurvature site is very cool.

OP, you are going to have to go west to get to the closest curvy paved roads. If you want a breakfast ride destination that's 40-100 miles away, I would recommend taking the fastest possible route to 1431 and then taking it all the way to Marble Falls and go to the Bluebonnet Cafe. Once you are in MF there are a ton of great rides from there. But plain old 1431 from Cedar Park to Marble Falls is pretty brilliant.

There really is a dearth of decent roads to ride East of I-35 until you get way East like Nacogdoches.

I should have mentioned the kurviger app as well. It's more for A>B routing than finding a curvy road but if you want to take the route with the: most curves, fastest route, or something in between, it's a great app.

Lime Creek Road is near you and is really nice.

I ride Lime Creek Rd. all the time, have been doing so since the late 80s. But I wouldn't recommend it generally for a few reasons, mostly having to do with safety. #1 there is often a lot of sand/gravel over the road right where you don't want it, in the curves. #2 during weekends the road is crowded with folks who just got a Corvette yesterday and want to see how fast they can go so they can post it on Youtube, and they are always over the center line in turns going about 3x the posted speed for the turn (like 45+ in a 15mph turn). #3 In non-peak times, there's a lot of construction and delivery truck (UPS. FedEx, Amazon etc.) traffic on the road.

When I ride there, I am taking off like in the mid-day on a weekday. I don't try to ride fast, I just go the speed limit, so I have plenty of time to deal with the UPS truck that can't fit in their lane coming in the opposite direction on every turn, or to make way for the organ donors trying to make their Aprilias go 150 mph. But during the work day, the dudes who just bought an M3 are at work.

IMHO these days, Lime Creek Rd. is just too dangerous for recreational motorcycling. I know every turn and every driveway and every construction area and I still am very careful when riding out there.

Now in a minute someone will come by and tell me that I'm being over cautious and they have ridden it and no problems and blah blah. Yeah, I'm an actual grandpa, and I am not motorcycling because I need some kind of adrenalin rush.

Last edited:
Hey guys, I should’ve mentioned that I fairly regularly do ride Park Road 1 C through Bastrop and booster State Park in fact, I was just there on Monday and it looks like they may be soon opening one a as they appear to be finishing up the bridge construction there. I also used to live in Cedar Park very close to the northern end of lime Creek Road so well well familiar with both those roads and I’ve been riding west of Austin for 15 years with a group of friends weather permitting on Sundays so for the most part pretty familiar with what’s out there as well, that said I am really wanting to find roads EAST of downtown Austin and I am willing to go north up towards Georgetown before heading east or south down near Lockhart or whatever to find engaging roads that go to the east.

Hey guys, I should’ve mentioned that I fairly regularly do ride Park Road 1 C through Bastrop ..I also used to live in Cedar Park very close to the northern end of lime Creek Road

OK, well I do like the ride out looping around Granger Lake but it's not like it's curvy roads anything like the west. From I-35, 1431 East to 95, north to 1331, 1331 past the lake, across the dam, then FM971 all the way back to I-35. It's a nice relaxing ride with halfway decent views, but curvy it's not.

2484 westward from Salado runs by Stillhouse Hollow Lake and it's a really nice ride. I would hang a left on Stillman Valley Rd then make your way back via 195, 487 and 2843.

My church group did a ride from Georgetown down 29 and some other routes to Cameron, which was scenic, but not really anything like curvy. There is a really good burger joint in Cameron.

OK, well I do like the ride out looping around Granger Lake but it's not like it's curvy roads anything like the west. From I-35, 1431 East to 95, north to 1331, 1331 past the lake, across the dam, then FM971 all the way back to I-35. It's a nice relaxing ride with halfway decent views, but curvy it's not.

2484 westward from Salado runs by Stillhouse Hollow Lake and it's a really nice ride. I would hang a left on Stillman Valley Rd then make your way back via 195, 487 and 2843.

My church group did a ride from Georgetown down 29 and some other routes to Cameron, which was scenic, but not really anything like curvy. There is a really good burger joint in Cameron.
Thanks I will check those out

FM713 between SH304 and FM20 has some nice long sweepers.

FM1296 between FM713 and Waelder isn't bad, then pickup FM1115 North to Cistern, then you can pickup Rosanky Rd north that turns into Cistern Rd and dumps you back on Jeddo Rd to FM535. Cistern Store has food and drinks.

Depending on how fast you want to ride, Jeddo Rd and Cistern Rd off FM535 and Peach Creek Road off SH304 are also nice rides, but the slower back country roads kind of stuff.

If you want a longer trek, take FM153 out of Smithville through Winchester, over to 77, then Post Oak Rd to 2145, then 2981 to Oldenburg then 237 to Round Top. You can back track to Warrenton and take 1291 up to 290 and back to Austin.

FM1296 between FM713 and Waelder isn't bad, then pickup FM1115 North to Cistern, then you can pickup Rosanky Rd north that turns into Cistern Rd and dumps you back on Jeddo Rd to FM535. Cistern Store has food and drinks.

Depending on how fast you want to ride, Jeddo Rd and Cistern Rd off FM535 and Peach Creek Road off SH304 are also nice rides, but the slower back country roads kind of stuff.

If you want a longer trek, take FM153 out of Smithville through Winchester, over to 77, then Post Oak Rd to 2145, then 2981 to Oldenburg then 237 to Round Top. You can back track to Warrenton and take 1291 up to 290 and back to Austin.
Thanks I’ll checks these out

I’ve done 153 to 77 through Winchester a while back and rode on to Fayetteville I think. Not much there but a cool old court house/jailhouse

Can you remember burger joint name? Is it Texas Burger? We go up there some and would like to try it. Thanks.

I rode Lime Creek last year and my brother and I were the only ones on it except for a guy on a green bike. We all stopped at the same overlook like area to take pics then parted ways. There wasn't any more dirt and gravel hazards than any other road.

Have you ridden twisted Sisters? It's west of you. Also look at a ride to Lukenback and out to Marble Falls across the Balcones Wildlife refuge area. Incredible roads and scenery. Devils Backbone out of San Marcos. Make sure to stop and staple a dollar to the Tavern. Lots of big names got their music start at that place. You can ride over the Pennybacker bridge and make sure you stop and hike up to the overlook. Mt Bonnell and the overlook. Part of my adventures, I look for Texas towns with funny names to ride to, Ding Dong, Goober Hill, No Name, Oatmeal, and many more.

I rode Lime Creek last year and my brother and I were the only ones on it except for a guy on a green bike. ... There wasn't any more dirt and gravel hazards than any other road.

Yes, your one ride experience obviously trumps my 2-3x rides a month for the past 5 years experience.

It may have been a weekday that we went. And it may have been when everyone was so scared of catching somehting that they all wore undies on thier face. But I'm not sure.

I don't know what style of riding the OP is talking about. How about the Texas Overland Hill Country Route I'm wanting to do this one in my Jeep.

If you are looking for Lime Creek Rd. type road surface and turns, but more scenic with better sight lines and a whole lot less traffic, I would recommend going out to Cow Creek Rd instead, and take it from 1431 to 1174 and either double back or turn left on 1174 back to 1431 to complete the lollipop. Less chance out there of a head-on with a UPS truck or new-to-me-BRZ and less chance to run off the road and off a cliff when you get it wrong because you really went out there to see if you can do 15mph turns at 60mph.

But bear in mind, most of Cow Creek Rd. is posted 30mph speed limit, and there are at least two possible low water crossings on it. I've never seen any county sheriff's deputies out there but if a bunch of hoonigans start heading out there, I'm sure they'll follow and issue a whole lot of "unsafe speed" tickets.

For a curvy road with a better maintained surface, better line of sight, and much more fun at speed, 1431 gets the job done much better than these back roads IMHO. 1174 isn't as curvy but the views are spectacular. My normal hour-plus route is 183 north to 1869 west to 1174 south to 1431 east back to 183 in Cedar Park, which to me has the magical mix of great two-lane roads, curves, scenery, whole thing. If I have more time on my hands I skip 1869 and go up to 243 before Briggs, take 243 to Bertram, stay on it until it joins 1174 just north of 1869, then same route from there.

With few exceptions, Texas is sweeper country even in the hill country. There are plenty of sweeping roads east of I-35 but it seems the curviest ones are along property lines. Some of those are too tight to have much fun on AND the problem with most park roads is a concentration of people with low speed limits. Recently, I found that the area between the two yellow lines I added in the attached image is really nice. Lots of trees, canopy and sweepers.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    3.1 MB · Views: 58
To all those who threw out ideas that are not east of Austin thanks for the reminder, but I’m more or less familiar with all those roads and have ridden them many many times so I want to restate again that I’m just looking for paved roads east of Austin other than the roads that I have mentioned above or have been discussed above already

It may have been a weekday that we went. And it may have been when everyone was so scared of catching somehting that they all wore undies on thier face. But I'm not sure.

I don't know what style of riding the OP is talking about. How about the Texas Overland Hill Country Route I'm wanting to do this one in my Jeep.

Only looking for curvy paved roads east of Austin not already mentioned

If you are looking for Lime Creek Rd. type road surface and turns, but more scenic with better sight lines and a whole lot less traffic, I would recommend going out to Cow Creek Rd instead, and take it from 1431 to 1174 and either double back or turn left on 1174 back to 1431 to complete the lollipop. Less chance out there of a head-on with a UPS truck or new-to-me-BRZ and less chance to run off the road and off a cliff when you get it wrong because you really went out there to see if you can do 15mph turns at 60mph.

But bear in mind, most of Cow Creek Rd. is posted 30mph speed limit, and there are at least two possible low water crossings on it. I've never seen any county sheriff's deputies out there but if a bunch of hoonigans start heading out there, I'm sure they'll follow and issue a whole lot of "unsafe speed" tickets.

For a curvy road with a better maintained surface, better line of sight, and much more fun at speed, 1431 gets the job done much better than these back roads IMHO. 1174 isn't as curvy but the views are spectacular. My normal hour-plus route is 183 north to 1869 west to 1174 south to 1431 east back to 183 in Cedar Park, which to me has the magical mix of great two-lane roads, curves, scenery, whole thing. If I have more time on my hands I skip 1869 and go up to 243 before Briggs, take 243 to Bertram, stay on it until it joins 1174 just north of 1869, then same route from there.
As mentioned above, I used to live in Cedar Park Town Center very near 1431 and lime Creek roads, so have ridden all of the above mentioned roads numerous times

Back