• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Looking for curvy paved routes *EAST* of Austin other than 969 to Bastrop, Bastrop State Park 1A, 304 to 2571 to Smithville and back via 535

Here's a track I saved from another ride.

GPX viewer

Attachments

• 2020 Rally Road Ride Short.gpx
    352.7 KB · Views: 78
  • 2020 Rally Road Ride Short.PNG
    2020 Rally Road Ride Short.PNG
    480.9 KB · Views: 69
FM1296 between FM713 and Waelder isn't bad, then pickup FM1115 North to Cistern, then you can pickup Rosanky Rd north that turns into Cistern Rd and dumps you back on Jeddo Rd to FM535. Cistern Store has food and drinks.

Depending on how fast you want to ride, Jeddo Rd and Cistern Rd off FM535 and Peach Creek Road off SH304 are also nice rides, but the slower back country roads kind of stuff.

If you want a longer trek, take FM153 out of Smithville through Winchester, over to 77, then Post Oak Rd to 2145, then 2981 to Oldenburg then 237 to Round Top. You can back track to Warrenton and take 1291 up to 290 and back to Austin.
Thanks 2N2Out. I rode to Smithville today for breakfast at Comfort Cafe and I rode Jeddo, Cistern, Peach Creek, 713, 20 and 1296 to Waelder out of Rosanky. All decent recommendations and a welcome change of pace

I would suggest a ride down to Shiner to the Spoetzl Brewery via Gonzales. It is not a challenging ride by any means, but it is pretty in the spring.
The problem with that idea is that I will have to drink a beer at the brewery, just to see what is new......then will have to take a nap before I will be able to ride back.....

It may have been a weekday that we went. And it may have been when everyone was so scared of catching somehting that they all wore undies on thier face. But I'm not sure.

I don't know what style of riding the OP is talking about. How about the Texas Overland Hill Country Route I'm wanting to do this one in my Jeep.

Looks a bit too rugged for my level of riding. Olld guy with a 600 lb GS.

I saw some possibly interesting roads on Curvature a few days ago, and rode them on Monday. 969 to Lower Elgin Road to 1704 just south of Elgin, then pick up 95 south to Old Sayers Rd. This continues through rolling farm and ranch road with much of it being dirt/gravel and ends up connecting to Main street Bastrop. Then over to 71 to 969 and back to east Austin. Breakfast lunch stop in the Elgin Historic district is "Lucy"s Kitchen". Had a great Club sandwich there,....highly recommend, but the Ice Tea,.....well I don't know what happened there,....the absolute worst I have ever had,.....avoid at all costs.

My go to "heading west" from the Houston area is to jump off south of La Grange on 609, then west on 2237 to Muldoon, then Cistern. From Cistern it's Jeddo Rd / Charcoal Rd to Jeddo, then 713 to McMahan and on into Lockhart. From there it's dealer's choice depending on if I'm going to Austin, San Antonio, or points west. These little roads aren't technical, and surprisingly you'll come up on a big truck from time to time, ranch dogs more often, so it keeps my attention on what I'm doing. It just beats the larger highway options.

There is an awesome little picnic shelter in Muldoon if you need some shade - it's at the corner of 2237 and 154.

There are some fun short jaunts around NE Austin, nothing epic but some roads I enjoy. In general, it's all underwhelming compared to the West (probably obvious to the OP considering the title). Some roads I enjoy but not a connected route: S. 1660 out of Hutto, I would take it until it hits 95 and find my way thru Taylor on more backroads only to lose my way thru Waterloo, in that area there are some roads that are ridden with potholes and unpaved, you can always find ones that aren't, but hey, that's part of the adventure. From there you can find back roads and mosey your way to Lake Granger and find 971, and possibly make your way to 1105 in Schwertner. Since you've gone that far take Ronald Reagan Blvd from IH35 to 2338 until you hit the Andice General Store for lunch! Now you'd be North of the ATX and maybe I've said too much, but if you haven't been the burger alone would make that ride worth it.

IH35 to 2338 until you hit the Andice General Store for lunch!

Ha! There are probably some better ways to get to Andice from there without using I-35 at all, but once you get there, hey, you're in my neck of the woods, close enough to that 243-1174-1431-183 epic route.

I should have mentioned the kurviger app as well. It's more for A>B routing than finding a curvy road but if you want to take the route with the: most curves, fastest route, or something in between, it's a great app.
I looked for the kurviger app. No results.

There are some fun short jaunts around NE Austin, nothing epic but some roads I enjoy. In general, it's all underwhelming compared to the West (probably obvious to the OP considering the title). Some roads I enjoy but not a connected route: S. 1660 out of Hutto, I would take it until it hits 95 and find my way thru Taylor on more backroads only to lose my way thru Waterloo, in that area there are some roads that are ridden with potholes and unpaved, you can always find ones that aren't, but hey, that's part of the adventure. From there you can find back roads and mosey your way to Lake Granger and find 971, and possibly make your way to 1105 in Schwertner. Since you've gone that far take Ronald Reagan Blvd from IH35 to 2338 until you hit the Andice General Store for lunch! Now you'd be North of the ATX and maybe I've said too much, but if you haven't been the burger alone would make that ride worth it.
I have been to Andice for a burger. Was worth the ride. On my recent ride to Georgetown then east to Granger lake I had lunch at “wildfire” on the historic George town Square and had their big band cheesesteak made from beef fajita meat with Oaxaca cheese, peppers and onions.

Attachments

• 59B1B5FF-76BA-4CE1-A98A-2EF9C9686348.jpeg
    59B1B5FF-76BA-4CE1-A98A-2EF9C9686348.jpeg
    319.8 KB · Views: 62
Ha! There are probably some better ways to get to Andice from there without using I-35 at all, but once you get there, hey, you're in my neck of the woods, close enough to that 243-1174-1431-183 epic route.
And hey, if you’re heading that way, you might as well make a breakfast or pie happy hour stop at Bluebonnet Café and head on over to Park Road 4 to do that loop then 29 east to connect with 1174 and over to Cow Creek to 1431

And hey, if you’re heading that way, you might as well make a breakfast or pie happy hour stop at Bluebonnet Café and head on over to Park Road 4 to do that loop then 29 east to connect with 1174 and over to Cow Creek to 1431

Yep! But you might wind up having to stop and camp if you do that whole route!

My go to "heading west" from the Houston area is to jump off south of La Grange on 609, then west on 2237 to Muldoon, then Cistern. From Cistern it's Jeddo Rd / Charcoal Rd to Jeddo, then 713 to McMahan and on into Lockhart. From there it's dealer's choice depending on if I'm going to Austin, San Antonio, or points west. These little roads aren't technical, and surprisingly you'll come up on a big truck from time to time, ranch dogs more often, so it keeps my attention on what I'm doing. It just beats the larger highway options.

There is an awesome little picnic shelter in Muldoon if you need some shade - it's at the corner of 2237 and 154.
I’ll check them out!

Back