• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Looking for Ft. Teran

ta2240 said:
Danny would you be willing to bring the bike to Houston?

The way things have been going lately it would have to be on a weekend. Whatcha got in mind?

TeamSwaney has a good connection at Pro Works Racing and Randall the owner kind of figures your price is high. I don't know if you trust the folks that have your bike now but this guy is a good guy and is a pro motocross mechanic who knows his stuff. He is in Highlands just east of Houston

I appreciate the option. Let me study on it.

I believe the prices this guy was looking at were new OEM parts (head and all valve train components, jug, piston, rings, rod, etc.) at Honda prices. I looked at those parts on Bike Bandit and was staggered.:shock:

One motorcycle salvage outfit in California, that did not have that engine, told me I should expect to pay around $1 per cc. I have yet to see one for near that. If I can get a running engine with a guarantee for under $1K would that be reasonable?

DANNYROTH said:
If I can get a running engine with a guarantee for under $1K would that be reasonable?

If I were to buy a used engine I would rebuild it so I cannot say if $1000 is reasonable.

TeamSwaney just returned from vacation and I will call him to have him catch up on your situation and he can directly relay the info. to Randall. That way you can get the information directly to him and get a better idea of a potential price.
Have you checked with Honda about a new motor?

I looked at the PWR web site, WOW! They sure don't believe is leaving well enough alone. Maximize your resources to gain competitive advantage!!

I would gladly settle for a plain stock setup. The only thing I need to outrun is Fbronco86's '89 KLR. Do you think they have some stock take-off parts laying around?

No, they dont work on many 650's. They mainly work on race bikes but they are good at what they do. The will do what you want them to do completely stock or some really crazy head work. I will get TeamSwaney to PM you or reply here. I have a call into him now.

The most important thing is to get you back in the saddle so we can find that Fort!

I found a "bare" engine that the guy said is an '04, with 630 miles. "Runs good", came off a wrecked bike, "no damage to engine". $850 plus freight. This guy deals mainly in sport bikes.

What questions should I be asking?

Danny you might want to get this in the help forum so more see it.
Does he give any warrantee ?
Compression test ?
It would be nice to see what the oil looks like.
Good Luck! We need you back on the back roads :-)

Engine is coming! '04 model, reportedly with 630 miles, 30-day warranty. Seller passed my background check, I called three motorcycle dealers/shops in his area and the BBB. All reports were good.

I will use carb, starter, and all covers off my motor. I just bought a new complete gasket set so oil leaks should not be a problem.

Next challenge, slip all this by the Treasurer :giveup: without causing a divorce. :storm: Maybe it will be cooler weather when I recover from the whuppin' :hack: I'm sure to get!

Boy, I really miss the BRP! I'll be so glad to be :rider: On The Road Again!

I'm not sure what happened first, overheated or low oil. Classic case of operator error. Result, looks like anything that required oil inside got starved.

Learnings:

Don't only put in amount of oil that the owner's manual lists. Check the oil levels in the crankcase and at the filler in the proper fashion (be sure it has oil in the crankcase by checking at the inspection plug on the lower right side, run the motor until the pump has picked up the oil in the sump and circulated it, then check the level at the filler on the frame.)

Just because your bike doesn't drip oil or smoke doesn't mean that oil isn't being lost. Check levels frequently!

Danny,

my KLR was running hot...... fuse blew on the fan circuit but i replaced and its fine now.......... thats one thing though....... its a lot easier to check the oil on a wet sump with a window port than on those dry sump babies...

sorry to hear about u losing then engine but you had suspected that when it got so hot.

Engine came in this afternoon. Looks good! Will be back in action by next weekend.:rider:

DANNYROTH said:
I looked at the PWR web site, WOW! They sure don't believe is leaving well enough alone. Maximize your resources to gain competitive advantage!!

I would gladly settle for a plain stock setup. The only thing I need to outrun is Fbronco86's '89 KLR. Do you think they have some stock take-off parts laying around?

I am sure you can keep up you just need to learn hose to use that twist grip with your right hand a little. I should be home for a few weeks in mid sept maybe I can get the KLR out then and ride.

What happens is my need for self preservation overcomes my need for speed! When things start sliding around I let off on the throttle!

DANNYROTH said:
What happens is my need for self preservation overcomes my need for speed! When things start sliding around I let off on the throttle!

When things start to slide around thats when it gets fun.

So mid sept ish you gonna be ready to go on a ride

Mike, I'm in serious withdrawal right now. Have you gotten to ride any in Canada?

Bike should be ready to ride this week!

DANNYROTH said:
Mike, I'm in serious withdrawal right now. Have you gotten to ride any in Canada?

Bike should be ready to ride this week!

No I have not been on a bike up here I thought about renting a bike for the weekend but I dont have my helmet or my jacket with me so.

The BRP is back at home!!:rider::clap::clap::clap:

New engine is real smooth (for a thumper), with lots of power.

Time to start a new thread regarding Ft. Teran. Let's see . . . plan to make the ride when the high temperature is lower 80s.

Congratulations on getting the BRP back on the road.:clap:
We need to do some riding but you are right let it cool down before we hit the East Texas sand roads. :giveup:
Good luck with the new engine. Hope it continues to run well for you.:rider:

My old engine never ran as smooth as this newer one. Even the exhaust has a smoother tone. I wonder if the older motor either had a hot cam in it or had some kind of problem when I got it. It had 3400 miles on it when I bought it from at least the 2nd owner. I had not ridden a 4 stroke single as big as this and assumed that it was supposed to sound and feel like that.

Back