• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

MC Camping on the Cheap

Drew, when you're able, you might post those picks over on the Moto Camping Primer thread.

Didn't realize until I was watching a WWII show recently that the mess kit Sterno sells is designed after the Brits mess kit.

Sterno:

10460235.jpg

WWII era British army:

WWII-British-2-pc-steel-Mess-Kit-marked.jpg

I found a Sterno hack that cuts boil times in half. It uses a can opener to open the entire top of the sterno before lightening. Check out the video:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpQjWQk7Qis"]Sterno Stove Kit - Boil Test 2 - MrFullautoak47's Mod - YouTube[/ame]

i-zKsKD6C-M.jpg

For 95 bucks, I scored this "4" man, 3 season tent.

Plenty of room for moto gear and stuff off the bike, and to move around a bit.

More and more parks and state natural areas are poo pooing hammock camping, so I armed myself with a tent.

Great reviews on Amazon and YouTube abound on this tent, and its about as cheap as a hotel room for 1 night (but not a hotel room in Miquihuana, Mexico - $7 :zen:)

Good looking tent. I switched to a 3-season 2 years ago. An awful lot of tents nowadays are basically screen shelters with a rain fly, and they don't keep the cold out - or the wind for that matter.

The other piece of gear I got for the tent is an empty Gatorade bottle. Now that's camping on the cheap.

The other piece of gear I got for the tent is an empty Gatorade bottle. Now that's camping on the cheap.

A useful multi-tool, as it can be used as a water bottle, coffee cup, night pot, or you can throw it at a pesky bear.

A useful multi-tool, as it can be used as a water bottle, coffee cup, night pot, or you can throw it at a pesky bear.
That's way too many uses of the same bottle for me. Lol
Best not to buy lemon lime Gatorade then for drinking. You wouldn't want to get the bottles mixed up.

_

Tent just showed up at the door

After I practice setting up the tent, I'll repack it without the poles

It'll go back in the bag it came in, but I'll add two new things: a footprint and a separate tarp. Plus all the paracord. It's amazing without the poles how small these three items pack down.

The poles (and any pegs) will ride in a dry bag with other gear on top of a pannier.

i-zKsKD6C-M.jpg

For 95 bucks, I scored this "4" man, 3 season tent.

Plenty of room for moto gear and stuff off the bike, and to move around a bit.

More and more parks and state natural areas are poo pooing hammock camping, so I armed myself with a tent.

Great reviews on Amazon and YouTube abound on this tent, and its about as cheap as a hotel room for 1 night (but not a hotel room in Miquihuana, Mexico - $7 :zen:)

How about a review after your next camping trip? I've been looking into adding a small tent to my gear.

How about a review after your next camping trip? I've been looking into adding a small tent to my gear.

For sure, be glad to

Just want to emphasize that I went with a "4" person tent, but I personally consider it a "small tent" as far as travel and transport. To me, the amount of fabric difference between carrying between a 2 man tent and a 4 man tent is almost non existent. The difference may be seen in the length of the poles, which is another reason I pack poles separately anyway.

I have a 1 man North Face TreeFrog tent - to heck with that! Going to donate it to the scouts.

For sure, be glad to

Just want to emphasize that I went with a "4" person tent, but I personally consider it a "small tent" as far as travel and transport. To me, the amount of fabric difference between carrying between a 2 man tent and a 4 man tent is almost non existent. The difference may be seen in the length of the poles, which is another reason I pack poles separately anyway.

I have a 1 man North Face TreeFrog tent - to heck with that! Going to donate it to the scouts.

or you could donate (or sell cheap) to a fellow TWTer who also works with youth :mrgreen::trust:

I haven't experienced this yet, though I don't normally hammock camp in state parks, mostly backcountry backpacking trips. But it's unfortunate, I sleep better in a hammock than on the ground. I'm assuming it's a tree issue, but shouldn't they allow if you have wide straps like the ENO straps?

That's way too many uses of the same bottle for me. Lol
Best not to buy lemon lime Gatorade then for drinking. You wouldn't want to get the bottles mixed up.

_

Yum. Tastes like yellow snow. :lol2:

Tent just showed up at the door

It'll go back in the bag it came in, but I'll add two new things: a footprint and a separate tarp. Plus all the paracord. It's amazing without the poles how small these three items pack down.

Yeah. I use fairly thick plastic painter's cloth to cut a footprint that goes under my tents. I just roll the groundcloth up with the tent; it makes it only slightly thicker.

I'm assuming it's a tree issue, but shouldn't they allow if you have wide straps like the ENO straps?

You would think. I'm guessing the reasoning is that strapping the same trees over and over in a confined area like the specified camping areas at state parks and SNAs may harm the bark layer on those trees. Out in the boonies, no two trees typically get hung on so there's that.

Now with the tent and the hammock, I'm ready for whatever I find.

I really enjoy cooking in foil packs. It is the perfect clean up - just toss it. I am trying to think of some way to carry the aluminum foil without the bulk of the whole roll. All I can come up with is folded sheets. Any ideas?

Just to wet your appetite:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJWyQUSabAE"]How To Make Shrimp Boil Foil Packs | Delish - YouTube[/ame]

I really enjoy cooking in foil packs. It is the perfect clean up - just toss it. I am trying to think of some way to carry the aluminum foil without the bulk of the whole roll. All I can come up with is folded sheets. Any ideas?

Just to wet your appetite:

How To Make Shrimp Boil Foil Packs | Delish - YouTube

It may not be thick enough, but you can try this: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Reynolds...00168&wl11=online&wl12=38474060&wl13=&veh=sem

Sorry about the long walmart link. I have some from costco that I use in the grill doubled up when cooking fish.

That box of pop up foils looks like it would be even bulkier to carry.

I think a roll of foil is the best. Ditch the box and use the empty space inside the tube for storage. Maybe a thin nylon tool roll wrap or pouch around it so the outer foil doesn't get damaged in your pannier.

_

That box of pop up foils looks like it would be even bulkier to carry.

I think a roll of foil is the best. Ditch the box and use the empty space inside the tube for storage. Maybe a thin nylon tool roll wrap or pouch around it so the outer foil doesn't get damaged in your pannier.

_
I would just tear open the box to get what I need then slide that into a gallon zip-loc and stuff someplace flat in the luggage. What I have done in the past is unroll the foil from the roll, and re-roll around a pencil (dropping the pencil out when done) and then slide the small roll into the partial roll of paper towels I carry (in a gallon zip-loc). The towels are bulky, but I tend to always take them anyway.

I think we need a new thread. Motorcycle Camping on the Small, or something like that. You know, where everyone can share their packing secrets to getting it all on the bike in the smallest package possible. TX_Northstar seems to be very good at this. Me, not so much. :D

I have another thread called "Moto Camping Primer - Everything You Need, Nothing You Don't". It deals with pack lists and packing. You could use that one.

Sounds like tshelfer has the thread, I've seen it but maybe need to revisit it. I was just amazed at the amount of thought TX_Northstar put out there. And yet it all makes sense.

Back