• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

MC Camping on the Cheap

Never seen a pouch without it being tuna or salmon. Will try them.

Bought one of these from Amazon after watching youtube. $15 with the TWT link. Saving it as a gift.

Z-p37yqcpEx_.jpg

Too many Youtubes to list... Used the Support TWT link to Amazon on this screen. Sometimes you have to change pages to see it. Then I search for "Stanley camping stainless".

Thanks, wasn't sure what I was looking at there to go searching, but yes, that led me right to it.

This is ideal for the lightweight camping that boils water for coffee, tea, noodle and rice mixes. It is missing the ability to fry an egg and bacon or grill some dogs or a burger.

Just depends on what's on the menu.

I need a little bag to put it in even though it is a "kit" and has some room inside of foil, matches and maybe some fuel. There are two cups inside.

I have been fiddling with aluminum can stoves today. I'll watch a Youtube, attempt to cut it out, fail, rinse and repeat. Finally got far enough into one that I think I can finish but realized it was not one of the designs that you can rest a pot directly on the top.

There must be a dozen different designs. There is one made with a Vienna sausage can and a hole punch that looks real easy.

The alcohol stoves I am looking at require that you wait until all the alcohol burns out before you can cool it and pack it. But the biggest drawback is the stability especially if you use a big pot or a frying pan on it. It is best for boiling a cup of water for soup or tea.

These might be a good DIY project for Christmas gifts.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fT7v9pGciQI&t=2s"]Awesome Alcohol Burner! How to Make Your Own from a Vienna Sausage Tin - YouTube[/ame]

works good, but what if it tips over? I was trying to think of a base of some kind to support Vienna can. I like the bbq ones with crackers

Last edited:
I think all the backpacking stoves are somewhat unstable, but some more than others. Lot of people won't do alcohol at all, the propane have shut off valves.

The slightly larger single burner propane stoves that use the big green coleman propane bottles have a big base that anchors them but they are on the large size for backpacking (which means motorcycle camping too).

Yeah maybe a ring made with copper wire with out riggers, but kinda defeats the compactness. I want to make one, What size holes 3/8ths.

I didn't measure the holes on the soda can stove I am fiddling with. Instead, try a thumb tack, the ones with a handle.

If you are talking about that Vienna sausage can stove, it looks like a hole punch - a pretty big hole.

This does not fall under the cheap category for an alcohol stove but...

Stainless steel, sealable after it cools down, a cap with a handle to "shut it off"
and a pot stand.

And right now for only a few extra dollars, a 25oz pot and lid

no affiliation and mods please remove the link if forbidden...

"old link expired new link for stove only"

https://www.selfrelianceoutfitters....ainless-steel-alcohol-stove-w-flame-regulator

Last edited:
This does not fall under the cheap category for an alcohol stove but...

Stainless steel, sealable after it cools down, a cap with a handle to "shut it off"
and a pot stand.

And right now for only a few extra dollars, a 25oz pot and lid

no affiliation and mods please remove the link if forbidden...

https://www.selfrelianceoutfitters....eel-alcohol-stove-cup-set?variant=32741643905

I think $30 would qualify as inexpensive. I have passed on the DIY alcohol stoves because they seemed sketchy and dirty. I would consider one of these if my Coleman peak-1 from 1985 ever died. I paid nearly $40.00 for that 32 years ago. :)

Bought a set of 3 ditty bags for $5 at Walmart. I used one to bag my Sterno stove kit. Another on my Stanley camp kit. Here is the Sterno and the box it used to be carried in.

33945684541_46d8c1f1e6.jpg

With the SL350 down with a bad valve, I started building a homemade camp cook set. The new idea is to coat the coffee can pot with olive oil or another grease so that it does not rust like the can behind it. Made a bail from a coat wire and punched holes with a nail. Also testing the alcohol stove made with a Vienna sausage can and a $2 hole punch. This works but HAS to have a windbreak. A mug (two cups) boils in about 6 minutes.

34034792106_3c77636174.jpg

I guess I am fiddling with stuff while the rest of you are camping this nice Easter weekend.

@SL350 I think what you are doing is cool, but please indulge my question: Is this so you can camp cheaply or because you just like doing things yourself? If the former, I have some old, small camp stove stuff I can send your way for less than the price of the Vienna Sausage can.

I was asking myself that same question today, why am I doing this? I do already have more than enough for my camping.

here is what I answered myself- cause I want to make some gifts instead of buying them and I like doing it. It's like why some go to Hobby Lobby and make a project for a family member to hang on the wall.

Then I started thinking about the targets of these gifts, my three grandsons. Instead of building three and gifting, I figure I would just get good at it and then someday sit down with them and make their own with them if they show an interest in my kit.

I will use this stuff I made today. In fact I will practice with it before I load it on the bike. A friend and I were planning a bike based overnight camp to Mineola next month before I spit a valve Wednesday. Maybe that ride will still make.

Eric - about the stuff you can send me that is less cost than an emply $0.50 can of Viennas, post up for everyone!

A couple notes about that coffee can with the bail. It is a little over 3 ounces which is lighter than the titanium kits. It is a common can for several different brands of coffee and I chose this can because of those lines. The bottom line is exactly 1 cup, all other lines are 1/2 cup going up to a total of 4 cups (two mugs of coffee). It's cool that it's already marked for your soup and rice mixes.

Heads up...

Local WallyWorld had a generic helinox chair
rated for 225 lbs for $15 in the camping section

NOT listed on the website

Last edited:
I picked up one of these to use when camping off the bike. I took it to Arkansas just to try it out, even tho we took full size chairs. I think it'll work fine for moto camping. The frame is steel, rather than aluminum. The Wee won't mind the extra weight. ;-)

It's practically never about the weight unless you take bowling equipment camping. A VStrom is a pack mule (like most dual sports); you run out of places to tie or hang things long before you get close to the weight limit.

It's practically never about the weight unless you take bowling equipment camping. A VStrom is a pack mule (like most dual sports); you run out of places to tie or hang things long before you get close to the weight limit.

Until it starts to tip over.:eek2: :trust:

Tested the coffee can pot today. I boiled water in it (that's what they do best, no cleaning). In a small ziplock freezer bag I cut up a single turkey hot dog (no sausage in the house) and added 4 eggs and salt/pepper. I ate half for breakfast and I guess the other half is coming for lunch.

The bag held up to 20 minutes on the alcohol stove. It took so long because the foil I was using for a lid was blowing off, something that the Stanley never does with its lid. The windscreen is not complete either, but I couldn't help noticing how the alcohol stove just can't boil like propane or butane. Twenty minutes is a long time but that was for 4 eggs.

The texture was a bit rubber but the taste was scrambled eggs. With sausage instead of dog, it would have tasted better. Butter too.

I don't like Mountain House eggs at all but just getting water up to a boil is what these do best, cooking not so much.

So far I like the pot to boil, but I wouldn't leave the skillet at home.

Like I'd ever tip over a loaded bike. Oh wait.... :oops:

Not to hijack a camping thread, but... this reminds me of one of my very first motocamping trips. I had loaded the bike the evening before and then parked it in it's usual place, which happened to be a narrow space in an open shed on a horse farm where I was living at the time.

Next morning I'm duckwalking the bike backward out of the space, the right pannier barely taps a piece of farm equipment. That bike went down so fast I hardly realized what was happening.

I had to take everything off to be able to pick the thing back up. :giveup:

Back