• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Mextrek #18 "Remembering Pelo Loco aka Day of the Dead" Oct 28 to Nov 5 2023

I've sent the money and filled out the form but have not received confirmation. Is there something else that I need to do?

Also, plug on my youtube channel, I've got some older mextrek content, even if the editing isn't great :P

I'm also uploading a bunch of raw footage from near Santiago in case you're curious about the dirt riding out there

edit: also, my last ride report had some of the best mexico mountain pictures I've ever seen

Last edited:
Everybody attending should get a new haircut in honor of Curtis. What a group photo that would be.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230615_093212_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230615_093212_Gallery.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 64
Update 10/23/2023

The list:
1. Rich
2. Michael
3. Bill
4. Greg
5. Shai
6. Thomas

I will update the list if it changes.

---------------------------------------------------

I'm in, with some modifications. My wife is flying to Guanajuto. I'm taking a few days to ride my motorcycle there to meet up with her. She & I will hang out for a few days and then she will fly home and I will ride home. I'm planning on riding dirt every day I can to and from. I talked to Peter and he okayed me joining the MexTrek ride for a day.

Here's what I'm planning:

Friday: arrive in McAllen
Saturday: ride to Galeana via the Gold Standard route
Sunday: pavement to General Zaragoza, ride the southern half of the Zaragoza route to Doctor Arroyo, pavement to Rioverde
Monday: ride new dirt route over the mountains from Rioverde to San Miguel de Allende
Tuesday: ride to Guanajuato
Wednesday - Thursday: Guanajuato
Friday: pavement then dirt from Guanajuato to Rioverde (different from the new dirt route on Monday); then pavement north for the remainder of the day
Saturday: arrive back in Mission

I'm open to leading a small group (6 max) on any section of the above. If you want to do the Gold Standard to Galeana, you are welcome to ride with me. If you want to ride the Zaragoza loop, you are welcome to ride with me and then divert back to Galeana rather than continuing on south. If you want to explore new routes in the mountains between Rioverde and San Luis Potosi, you are welcome to ride with me on Monday, Friday, or both. It's possible you could ride with me to San Miguel and then rejoin the MexTrek group once we arrive. It might even be possible to ride the route between San Luis Potosi & Rioverde on Friday, and then continue on to Real and rejoin the MexTrek group. Whatever works for you.

For those that join me, I use the Cardo system for communications. I will be riding my Honda 300 Rally, so I'm not fast on the highway sections (I usually ride 60-65 mph on the highway).

Last edited:
Hey Gang,

Registration here and open:

Together we've adventured a pretty good amount, in such a short amount of time, the last 6 years often and famously with Sir Curtis Pelo Loco Jones Esquire, RIP.

I wrote in the memorial guidebook that we will honor Curtis on all future Mextreks, loudly, and with hands up!

I found out yesterday that Curtis, in his expertly prepared notes for the afterlife instructed he be cremated and his ashes spread in many of the places he loved most. Curtis loved Mexico, dearly, and entrusted the "Mextrek OG's" with the task!

Mextrek 18 is renamed in Curtis' honor and will be leaning on the short list of OG's to make a plan to help Pelo Loco be one with mother earth again. Anyone not familiar with Mexico's day of the Dead and remembrance of loved ones lost should do a quick google search. What a wonderful way to remember our friend.

We'll be in Santiago, Galeana, San Miguel, Guanajuato, Real De Catorce. Curtis knew and loved each of these places. We'll tuck a bit away for Baja and give Zeke a pinch for the ranch. Maybe Terlingua too. We'll do what we'd want done for us.

Adios Amigos, and Rest in Peace Uncle Curtis!

View attachment 343264

View attachment 343265

For all the newcomers to T.A.R.A. and Mextrek, we invite you on one of the most exciting trips on a long time.... Halloween in San Miguel and Day of the Dead in Guanajuato. This will be bookended by 2 days in Galeana riding the Sierra Madre dual sport region and 2 days after riding to the ghost town of Real de Catorce then a final bougie night in Santiago, the playground of Monterrey's nuevo riche. Cost: $50 experienced, $25 added for first timers for guidebook and maps and that little extra care needed!

Rough schedule:

Friday, Oct 27th: Arrive in McAllen by midnight.

Saturday Oct 28th: McAllen to Galeana via Rayones and Cienega del Toro gopher fields

Sunday Oct 29th: Rides out of Galeana, south, along rivers and canyons

+++
Alternate "Lite" weekend:
Monday, Oct 30th: day rides out of Galeana
Tuesday, Oct 31st: head home
Cost $25
+++

Regular ride continues...

Monday Oct 30th: Ride some highway to the gringo HQ of San Miguel de Allende, with dinner overlooking the Parroquia, the most beautiful church in Mexico, in what the town Conde Naste calls "The most Beautiful City in the WORLD".

Tuesday Oct 31st: San Miguel, Market, Hot Springs, and Halloween parties

Wednesday Nov 1st: Ride overland on the picturesque "Silver trail" to Guanajuato and attend evening Dia de los Muertos parade. GTO is DOD headquarters parades, costumes, tunnel parties, etc...

Thursday Nov 2nd: Enjoy Guanajuato with day ride to mummies, 100 foot Jesus, vineyard tour, evening pub crawl

Friday Nov 3rd: ride north thru the forest to the magical ghost town of Real de Catorce, horseback riding to the old mines

Saturday Nov 4th: Head to Santiago via glorious Hwy 20, thru the ski town of Monterreal for a final banquet at the amazing Hacienda 208

Sunday Nov 5th: Santiago to home, wherever that is.

No Xilitla this time around? Any opposition to a party leaving Galeana a day early to fit in a night in Xilitla?

edit: Also I've kept an eye on the Grutas farther south, but that's a decent bit out of the way

Last edited:
Back