• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

offroad gear for hot weather

KenH

Inactive Member
Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Last Name
Haley
Back into motorcycles after 30 years and I'm overwhelmed by the number of choices in gear. What's the best value in offroad gear (pants, jerseys, armor, protectors) for very hot weather? I already have helmet, googles, gloves, and boots.

The KLIM Moab and Dakar gear is supposed to be very nice. I got to see the Moab version a couple of weeks ago and the friend wearing them said they were great so far in the heat. He had just spent the day riding in the desert outside of Alamagordo.

They are over the boot pants and both the jersey and pants have lots of vents.

In the texas heat? you want to stay cool? Good luck. NM heat is nothing like what we have here.

Try one of those cool vests, they'll last for a little while. Other than that..camelback,LOTS of water, ride earlier in the day...or go ride and get used to it.

I have the same theory on dirt as on asphalt: Yo u can replace sweat MUCH easier than you can recover from not wearing all your gear in a spill. It's all about risk mgmt. wear as little as you dare...and kiss ladyluck square on the smoocher everytime you head out. Last year I broke both wrists for lack of wearing wristbraces on dirt....end over end at about 45mph'll do it to ya. This years collarbone would've been MUCH worse than a collarbone/shouldertearing had I not been wearing kneebraces,full pressuresuit, HELMET, boots..and assorted gear...notice my sig has no more dirtbike in it? heh..

I also don't buy the " I don't need it if I drive slower" excuse. Just like the street you simply cannot compensate for EVERY eventuality you'll encounter.

The Panther stuff isn't too bad for breathing, there's a few shirts that flow lotsa air...I recomend overpants instead of "in the boot" pants. Seem to be cooler to me to have air up your legs.

Gee...sounds like I'm onna soapbox don't it.:doh:

I only mentioned NM because we were there before it got hot here. Ventilation is the key. It's so humid here that if it doesn't let the moisture out you are going to feel wet all the time. Vents, drink water, and keep moving.

Don't forget about a 661 Core Cooler......works great!!

Eric

This might seem like a dumb question, but................ Do you use one regularly? Does it do like they claim, 5 minute soak lasts a whole day? or 10 to 20 minutes and it lasts for 48 hours?

Back into motorcycles after 30 years and I'm overwhelmed by the number of choices in gear. What's the best value in offroad gear (pants, jerseys, armor, protectors) for very hot weather? I already have helmet, googles, gloves, and boots.

The vented gear is nice but the best I've seen is home made.......... Take a cotton shirt - T Shirt or cotton jersey (hard to find Sometimes) and cut your own cooling vents (diamonds) in the shirt. I haven't used one of the cool vests but I do use my Camelback as a cooling device, fill it half full and freeze it. Get ready to ride, fill it with water and I've got an ice pack on my back and good cold water to drink. My only riding pants are the standard non-vented MSR pants. I've been known to also wear my redneck racing team gear - old over-alls and a cotton shirt. If you happen to be a little on the light side in the hair department you will want a doo-rag under your helmet. It's not really needed under the helmet but if you stop and take the helmet off it will help keep from frying your scalp and it will fry quicker than you think, don't ask me how I know this........ :rofl:

I use a full vest here, in Tucson, that you soak. It only lasts 2 hours in this dry heat but boy does it work. I haven't used it in the 105 degree stuff, but at 95 it kept me plenty cool. I wouldn't think it would work so well in a more humid enviornment since my body would soak anything I was wearking anyhow.

In the texas heat? you want to stay cool? Good luck. NM heat is nothing like what we have here.

Try one of those cool vests, they'll last for a little while. Other than that..camelback,LOTS of water, ride earlier in the day...or go ride and get used to it.

I have the same theory on dirt as on asphalt: Yo u can replace sweat MUCH easier than you can recover from not wearing all your gear in a spill.

Gee...sounds like I'm onna soapbox don't it.:doh:

LISTEN to this guy. He knows more about crashing then anyone I know, well maybe Sean knows more. :rofl:

Now that's funny!!!!!!!:rofl: HAHA...Endoweed.:lol2:

Well I race about 2 weekends every month in the Enduro Circut. I swear by the under armour shirt under my jersey as it pulls the sweat away from your body and keeps you cool as you ride. I also wear the Klim pants and a fox vented jersey and have no problems.

The key is to drink plenty of water before you ride. And no I don't mean a bottle or 2, I mean drink water the whole week before you ride. It works trust me!

Now ask me how I know this!:giveup:

Now that's funny!!!!!!!:rofl: HAHA...Endoweed.:lol2:

Well I race about 2 weekends every month in the Enduro Circut. I swear by the under armour shirt under my jersey as it pulls the sweat away from your body and keeps you cool as you ride. I also wear the Klim pants and a fox vented jersey and have no problems.

The key is to drink plenty of water before you ride. And no I don't mean a bottle or 2, I mean drink water the whole week before you ride. It works trust me!

Now ask me how I know this!:giveup:

Ok Robby, how do you know this? :mrgreen:

Well.....after my last race, I would say that the core cooler would not last all day let alone 2 hours. It does work great at first but after riding/racing for some time, I think it loses it's effectiveness to the effect that it doesn't allow airflow around your neck. Vented gear would be a plus as would pouring water on yourself or from your Camelback. I am still going to experiment with it to find a good combination. As far as a cotton shirt goes, I would rather use a dry-fit as cotton absorbs sweat and holds it.

Ok Robby, how do you know this? :mrgreen:

Tony I know this because I got severly dehydrated at the Cycle Land Enduro. 10 miles in and I was no longer sweating. It was by far the worst race for me this year. After that I quit drinking sodas & energy drinks and concentrated on drinking plenty of water and man what a difference that made. I have now placed in the top 3 at every race since then.:clap:

Vented gear. I have MSR, but will be buying some Klim Mojave pants soon. I just use a gel filled neck wrap soaked in cold water. I also ditch the goggles and were safety sun glasses. Not as much protection, but allow more wind on the face. wick dry socks work well. I have an HJC helmet and it vents O.K., but would like to find one that is in my price range with better ventilation. I think I've heard that TLD and Arai have good ventilation.

P.S. Keep moving. It works. the sun bakes you if you stop. Also, heed that tip about the water. I will stop drinking sodas a couple days before the weekend and limit beer to Friday night or maybe one or 2 saturday.

Tony I know this because I got severly dehydrated at the Cycle Land Enduro. 10 miles in and I was no longer sweating. It was by far the worst race for me this year. After that I quit drinking sodas & energy drinks and concentrated on drinking plenty of water and man what a difference that made. I have now placed in the top 3 at every race since then.:clap:

I had a feeling you were going to say you had overheated at a race. Some of our best lessons are learned the hard way. Congrats on the podium finishes. :clap:

I had a feeling you were going to say you had overheated at a race. Some of our best lessons are learned the hard way. Congrats on the podium finishes. :clap:

I see a weekend in the future Tony when I can meet you face to face and ride out at Outlaw again with Pop's and that crazy guy Eric.:rider: I think it needs to dry out a bit though.

Robby

I don't know how well it works, but the new Fox Airline gear looks nice.

Even the pants are mesh. :eek2:

Just the other day I was searching around for this kind of stuff and I saw some good threads about MiraCool stuff. Search, you will find it. Seems like the same kind of stuff like Core Cooler - but is more of a vest design.

Back