• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Pavement Routes Around Toledo Bend/Rayburn

Hail

Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Looking for some scenic pavement routes from Nacogdoches area around Toledo Bend and Sam Rayburn lakes. Anyone have something they can share?

be sure to stop at the museum in Hemphill . That's where the space shuttle Columbia broke apart. Also the old jail in downtown. it has the gallows built into the building. Kinda spooky.

I personally feel that the seafood place (Fisherman's Galley, I think?) was overrated, but I'm from Louisiana.

Didn't know there was a museum in Hemphill, I'll have to check it out.

Stu's Grill in Merryville has some great burgers if you are ever out that way.

I usually circle Toledo Bend if I feel the itch for curvy roads and have a day to kill.

FM 1012 between Tx 63 and US 190 at Newton is fun.
FM 1414 from Newton to Burkeville is fun, but has one sharp right hand corner that can have gravel because of a driveway mid corner.
Hwy 87 between Burkeville at Tx 63 up to Center is nice.
Pretty much every paved road leaving Hemphill is nice. especially 1592 and 2784.
Hwy 21 from 103 over to San Augustine is nice.
FM 330 between 21 and 87 is fun, as are FMs 353, 1279 and 1277. I like to do an up and back from on 1196 from 1277 to 103.
139, 2694 and 417 are all nice.
All the paved roads between Center and Garrison are good.
95 from 103 up to Garrison is nice.
226 from 103 to 21 is nice.

Really, pretty much ALL of the smaller FMs in that whole area East of Nacogdoches are fun/scenic with varying degrees of twistiness. There are countless dirt roads in the area. It used to be VERY sandy on many of the roads, but it seems like all the counties and the forest service have been putting down a LOT of gravel over the years, so they aren't as sandy as before.

I personally feel that the seafood place (Fisherman's Galley, I think?) was overrated, but I'm from Louisiana.

Didn't know there was a museum in Hemphill, I'll have to check it out.

Stu's Grill in Merryville has some great burgers if you are ever out that way.

I usually circle Toledo Bend if I feel the itch for curvy roads and have a day to kill.
Have to agree about the seafood place. Too much fried, too much that I suspect is frozen.

Back