• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Semi-permanent SHNF thread

Well we did get muddy as there was the occasional stretch that the only way was through the middle. It is just that 95% of the mud you could go around on the sides. Plus the mud we did go through had a fairly solid bottom. My son was on his 690 with worn ADV tires and always made it through. I was on dual sport rock tires and I did throw a bit of mud on the back of the bike. The lack of dust was well worth the occasional mud.

Can I talk a fella out of the directions to this SHNF West side park and ride?

Thnx

My bad. Its in the first post.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Since the forest will probably be closed this weekend we have a group of "seasoned" riders headed to 3 Palms Saturday, April 8. We park in the back near GP track. 3palms has 5 big bikes tracks... few trails and 2 kids tracks.

You can also buy a new Husqvarna or Triumph while you are there. They also have a new bike prep service with 3 different levels of maintenance.

The new back or Woods track is very trail bike friendly - no large jumps. Yes a good portion of the riders out there are on endure bikes.

KTM 690 Enduro r a good choice for this place?

My son Texanate rides his 690 out there all the time. Last time was on ADV tires and not on knobbies. It was a little muddy and slippery but he did fine and the deep sand was much easier then when dusty and dry. A rider without any experience might have an issue at the start, but that could be on any bike. Blasting straight through mud puddles instead of picking the driest line might also get one in trouble.

Since the forest will probably be closed this weekend we have a group of "seasoned" riders headed to 3 Palms Saturday, April 8. We park in the back near GP track. 3palms has 5 big bikes tracks... few trails and 2 kids tracks.

You can also buy a new Husqvarna or Triumph while you are there. They also have a new bike prep service with 3 different levels of maintenance.

The new back or Woods track is very trail bike friendly - no large jumps. Yes a good portion of the riders out there are on endure bikes.

Don't give up on the forest yet! We're going to have long days of sun and 80 degrees, might be open!:rider:

Unless the wind was bad and trees are down, then it starts over getting it open. :(

Looks like MUT will be closed tomorrow?

I'm no official with forest service but my guess is no unless he gets generous due to Easter weekend. And it's a 3 day weekend for him which might make it even more doubtful.

Sterling Ranch will be open all weekend, a lot smaller and 20 bucks to ride but beats not riding to me.

I'm no official with forest service but my guess is no unless he gets generous due to Easter weekend. And it's a 3 day weekend for him which might make it even more doubtful.

Sterling Ranch will be open all weekend, a lot smaller and 20 bucks to ride but beats not riding to me.

Gonna meet up with some friends at 3Palms. I need all the seat time I can get so I can keep with y'all OLD DUDES

SHTC and ODODB are having a workday to get the STRING and BALLOON trails reopened in the SHNF after a year of being closed. We need people to come out and help this weekend. Start time is 8am at the North side trailhead located just 1/4 mile north of Stubblefiield rd off 1375 on Sunday 6/11/17. If we are going to get this 23 miles of trails reopened it will take an all out volunteer effort cleaning debris, fallen trees, and cutting back over grown brush from these trails. We need volunteers to get this done. PLEASE HELP us get these trails back for riding off road again. Come volunteer and, it's a win, win for all SHNF dirt bike riders as all volunteer hours goes towards grant funding to help sustain this trail system for all off road riders.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQv4OQJJEZg"]Help- By: The Beatles (LYRICS) - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:
Note I-45 will be shut down at 1375 this weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Going to be fun! What a nightmare with the traffic.

As far as workday, this last chance workday at Cycleland, sorry.

"Awesome event. Great turnout and accomplished what we set out to do thanks to all the Volunteers."

I didn't make the workday, and this is all I found elsewhere.

Back