• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

"Traveling" w/ a gun

Traveling with a gun? I got your traveling with a gun right here, fella:

(7.5mb streaming video, ~2 1/2 minutes)
http://www.imz-ural.com/downloads/movies/Gear-UpW.wmv
:giveup:

Even the civilian Ural brochure shows a guy with a shotgun (and a labrador).

WWII military Harleys had a scabard for a Thompson, but the prize must be the French military Vespa with the bazooka. Really.

Scoot safe,
Tom

"This is my rifle, this is my gun..."

Texas T said:
Here in TX if we were to implement an open carry law I do think that many people would "freak" because it would be a huge change for them.
By-the-by, I've seen folks open-carrying in the Fort Davis area. A trans-Pecos sheriff was quoted in the paper, "Well, yeah, 9-1-1 assistance is a good 45 minutes away out here..."

Tom

ColGoodnight said:
By-the-by, I've seen folks open-carrying in the Fort Davis area. A trans-Pecos sheriff was quoted in the paper, "Well, yeah, 9-1-1 assistance is a good 45 minutes away out here..."
Sounds like a common sense law & order Sheriff to me. :thumb:

By the way, Dr John Lott has written numerous books/articles on the positive aspects of concealed carry laws. One of his most famous is More Guns, Less Crime.

If you're not familiar with him there is a blog off of the TSRA.com site that you may want to take a look at.
http://gun-control.net/?cat=6

Texas T said:
Regarding being messed with...
1. AZ has always had open carry and people do not get freaked out

I guessing you have lived in AZ (as I have). I can tell you that people DO get freaked out when you have a gun on. The two concerns are: is this person trustworthy and is some nut going to take the gun away and 'play' with it.

Sure, if you go to Crown King or someplace like that everyone is toting a sidearm. But most places I think it is a different story.

TexBiker said:
As of Sept 1, 2005:

Licenses and renewals are half-price for military personnel. Also, the age limit drops to 18 for active duty military personnel.

Well cut my legs off and call me shorty. That won't ever do me any good - but it's nice to know it'll help my brothers in arms out.

sharkey said:
Truth is, citizens shouldn't have to be licensed to bear arms but in the name of safety we decide to overlook parts of the constitutution.

I agree.

Sure, as a practical matter, getting a CHL is the way to go if one wishes to carry a handgun in the most trouble-free manner.

However, according to the 1st Amendment of the US Constitution I don't need a license from the State of Texas to own and use a printing press, internet website, or yard sign.

Similarly, according to the 2nd Amendment of the US Constitution I shouldn't need a license from the State of Texas to keep and bear arms.

Submitting to one small tyranny may seem like just being practical. Add it to the thousands of other small "practical" tyrannies, and the sum is slavery.

I've heard, though I've never read the Texas constitution (probably longer than a Tom Clancy novel and one heck of a lot more boring) that the phraze used is "keep and wear arms" in the state constitution.

I'm just thankful the Sarah Bradys of the world haven't succeeded in totally disarming law abiding Americans. The constitution and the NRA are about the only thing that's won the day so far.

CHL is the cheapest way to go. Even if you don't plan on carrying the gun on your person you can still carry it in your car or on Bike anywhere in about 15 other States besides Texas.
If you don't have a CHL and are found with a pistol in you car/bike you are most probably going to have you pistol confiscated and go to jail
and if will cost you Thousand of $ in Attorneys fees to prove you are inocent and were in fact "traveling" and may or may not be able to get your pistol back. Dogs like trucks, Cops like guns. On the other hand, how many time has an Officer ever asked to search your car of if you had a pistol?

BlueMoto said:
CHL is the cheapest way to go. Even if you don't plan on carrying the gun on your person you can still carry it in your car or on Bike anywhere in about 15 other States besides Texas.
And if you obtain a non-resident Florida concealed license (they were the first state in the nation to do this) you can up the number of states to almost 35.

There is a bill introduced in the House by one of our own TX legislators that would make a concealed license the same as a driver license in the sense that one issued in any state will be accepted in any other state. I doubt seriously that it will be passed, but kudos for the effort.

According to Packing.org there are 23 other states that honor a TX license. and they still havn't updated for NM so thats 24. nearly half of the US!
texas_php4RE61w_texas_map.gif

I don't do firearms.. however, I always ride with pepper spray.

Dog ran under my wheels two years ago and put me down.. now I let 'em have it. Not worth the broken knee and leg I sustained.

Just now returning to two wheels.. and critters beware.:giveup:

Howdy folks, I am a chl instructor and a professional bodyguard.I am not here to debate laws or constitutions. However,I will offer a few things on the pro side of having a chl.

1. Look at all the states you will avoid hassels with.
2. I have never needed a handgun when I was in my car, but I do enjoy the freedom of carrying in about 98% of the places I go in Texas.
3.Our laws in Texas gve the average law abiding citizen an oppurtunity to protect them selves and their families.

Ok, our laws are not perfect but the next time you are in the stop-n-rob filling up on gas,ask yourself how many times that place has been robbed.

If you are going to carry in your car,take a rifle or a shotgun and be done with it. A silly pistol is only made to fight yourself to a larger gun anyway. Just remember that when you step out of that truck or car, you are now unarmed because you just locked your weapon away. Your choice....and life is all about choices.

Gun ownership does not equate to being able to hit the side of the barn. Their are many collectors that do not shoot and many hunters that rezero once a year and that is it. I assure you that under stress, you will do what you have done in practise. If anyone has questions about Texas laws concerning CHL's,send them on.

Think of the CHL class as being the same as the MSF course. If money is a concern,you can probably find an instructor for $50 in the large cities. Just remember you get what you pay for.

Be safe.

tx-vfr said:
According to Packing.org there are 23 other states that honor a TX license. and they still havn't updated for NM so thats 24. nearly half of the US!
Wow, I haven't kept up with that. I guess I can let my FL license expire as it only gets me 3 other states.

Note to self... don't go to the west coast or the NE.

:trust: You also get half price for over 60 years old. If you can still hit the target.

those targets aren't that small!

I out did the army brats from Fort Hood when I took mine. and i'm no great shot

its not all that hard really...

after closer inspection, there are 27 states (including TX) that a TX CHL is good in. 1 doesn't have reciprocity, they just honor the TX permit.

Ah..ye olde handgun debate..

**Warning...long story**

As a second shift aircraft worker...I was a woman alone on the road at night, 5 to 7 days a week for about 10 years, always driving my 1985 Mustang GT, beginning in 1989 to 2000, roughly. I, of course, recognized the danger in that, and carried a handgun, concealed, in my car for personal protection, knowing that it was a misdemeanor if busted. Did I ever get stopped by police? Yes. Did they ever ask if I had a drugs or guns in the car? No.

In 1996, Texas passed the CHL bill, and the media went nuts about how Texas was now going to be the *wild west* with daily shootings over nothing more than traffic arguments. I ignored most of that, but what I did pay attention to was the media screaming that it had now become a felony to get busted with a weapon in your car sans permit. I found out later that was untrue...however, I believed it at the time and as of Jan. 1st, 1996, put away my weapon.

In March of 1996, driving home just past midnight, in my Mustang as always, heading west on I-20, just about to fork north up the east side of Loop 820, I passed another fox chassis Mustang. I looked them over, they looked me over, you know, fellow Mustang fans, right? This white Mustang was in a lane that would have continued west on I-20 and as I got on past them, I was still checking out the car in my side view mirror. It wobbled, wobbled again and slipped in behind my Mustang.

That's odd, I thought. That hunch that something just took a change for the worse settled in my gut. A co-worker driving a Chevy Z-71 pickup always followed along behind my Mustang until I exited the freeway to my neighborhood in Hurst. This white Mustang was now between me and my co-worker. Their car was easily recognized at night, as the right headlight was aimed way too low, lighting the ground right in front of the car. I left my speed steady, as my cruise control was set, and just kept an eye on their car.

They soon slowed down, changed lanes and slipped in behind my friend's Chevy truck. But as I kept an eye on the rear view mirror, I would see the white Mustang slip out just enough every few seconds to make sure that they still had my Mustang in sight. That hunch was getting stronger.

When I exited the freeway, I watched for them, and sure enough, they exited too. Well, could be coincidence, right?...not so, says my hunch. Keep watching. When I turned off the main road onto my neighborhood street, I already had my cell phone in hand, and as soon as they too made the turn onto my street, I started dialing my home phone number.

My husband answered the phone and I said, "You know, I might be in trouble, why don't you get a gun and meet me at the door." While I was saying this, I was driving along the front of my house, slowing to pull in the driveway. As I pulled in the driveway and shut off the engine, thinking I should get in the house quick, I looked in my rearview...and there was that white Mustang, blocking my driveway. I looked in my side view, and there was a man already at my rear quarter panel, approaching my window with a gun in his hand. I yelled into the phone "He's got a gun! He's got a gun!" but it turns out I was talking to air, since my husband had thrown the phone and run to get a gun. Now, it's hard to express how fast all this happens....but to give you an idea, my husband answered the phone in our living room, 15 feet away in the den was a concealed, loaded and ready to use handgun...that's the gun he was going for.

Meanwhile, the criminal points his gun at me through the window glass and says, "Get out the seat." I said "No." It takes just a fraction of a second for it to sink in to him that I said no. Then he does this little disbelieving shuffle, taps the gun against my window, points it at me again and says, "Get out the seat." Again, and a little louder and firmer, I said "No." He then puts the barrel of the gun through the open inch at the top of my window and aims it at my head. I put my hand on the barrel of his pistol and shove it back out. We go through this odd little Bugs Bunny routine a couple more times before my husband comes out the front door with a handgun of our own and the criminal disappears like a ghost, as he somersaults down the driveway. His buddy in the white Mustang took off and left him there at the sight of my husband coming out the front door. I'm ducking behind the engine block, in case the bullets let fly, because the line of fire from our front door to my car has ME included.

My husband takes two quick sidesteps to change the line of fire and draws down again...the criminal had gotten up and decided to come back. When he sees my husband again draw down, he runs and doesn't come back this time.

Now, we call the cops. They come and ask some questions, take a report and want to know why I didn't call 911. My polite reply was, "Sir, I needed immediate help."

I'm now a CHL holder, and I carry that same gun that I had put away in January 1996, in a holster, on my hip. When I'm in Texas (I'm currently working out of state) I still drive that same Mustang, wearing my gun. Now, if my husband had been any slower, if our weapon had been locked up in a safe, unloaded, don't you think he would have been walking to my funeral?

My point? There's no safer place for your weapon than on your own hip. That way, you know where it is at all times, no child gets their hands on it, no criminal gets their hands on it, and it's ready to protect yourself and your loved ones in an instant. Get your CHL, carry your weapon, practice draw and fire (dry fire) from concealed carry. Practice hitting your target without using your sights. Practice instinct shooting, because chances are, if you have to use your weapon for personal protection, it's gonna be at night. It's gonna be in a fast and furious situation. You're gonna need your instincts to be accurate.

Sad...but true. Sad...but's it's been proved to me.

Wow Sandy,
The angels were watching over you for sure. You did many things right that night and you survived. You also got very lucky that you were not killed in your drive way.The bad guy had plenty of time to pull that trigger before your husband got into position so lucky for you, he was a rookie and you did not get hurt.

I agree in calling your husband and giving him a heads up. I do not agree with leading the bad guys directly to your house. If you could have made a block,perhaps your husband could have gotten a 'real' gun, such as a rifle or a shotgun or called 911 himself.

Next time, if someone wants your 85 Mustang,give it to them.The fact is you are still alive to tell the story. I would guess by your statements that you did get some training from a professional.

Hopefully, there will not be a next time, but it is much better to be prepared than paranoid.

klrno2 said:
Now, we call the cops. They come and ask some questions, take a report and want to know why I didn't call 911. My polite reply was, "Sir, I needed immediate help."
dial911des.jpg

Excellent story Sandy. Glad it all worked out for you. If that had been me I'm sure there would have been some car upholstery cleaning bills involved on the driver's seat. :oops:

I talked to a dps officer from Dallas about this about 2 weeks ago. His side of it is that they still can and will arrest you for the carrying the gun. I dont remember the term he used but it basically meant you had to prove it to the judge on the "traveling" aspect of it. But more than likely in the field they are not going to give that decision to the individual officer so for their safetly they can book ya. Dont know the validity of that but was something I was told.

TexZilla said:
Next time, if someone wants your 85 Mustang,give it to them.The fact is you are still alive to tell the story. I would guess by your statements that you did get some training from a professional....

Not a chance, nope, ain't happening. I'm not giving up any of my possessions, especially not my Mustang to some punk, just because he's got a gun and decides that what's mine ought to be his. Our country needs more people willing to stand up for what's right, and what's thiers, than not. I'm one of 'em. That criminal may or may not have been a rookie, but he was certainly NOT expecting resistance from me, I confused him by doing the unexpected.

The training I got and continue to get, was from my husband. He's not a professional, but he's the most security concience person I've ever known.

Those boys got a really good scare that night, from a man with a gun that knew what he was doing, and it was obvious. In spite of the fact that no shots were fired that night, it scared those boys bad enough that they turned themselves in to the law the very next day.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back