• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

where to go

At the ABC in Gunnison. 330ish miles today

141 is still my favorite road so far. Something about those red canyons. Also did 92 , the Black Canyon road. I think that's my third time, 2nd time going east.
Tomorrow is still undecided.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

w/ a short repeat, back track to 92, up to 133, up over McClure pass to Carbondale, turn right on 82, thru Aspen, over Independence pass to 24

Leadville to your left, Buena Vista to your right

between Aspen & Independence pass, THE GROTTOS on the right is a worthy place to stop & take a hike, up to the cascade

there'z a WORTHY STEAK HOUSE at the south end of Buena Vista, on the east side of the road, just past the ICE CREAM SHOP, also on the east side of the road :eat::eat::eat:

thanks for taking us along

sw

141 rocks, you are doing it right man. Wish I was there.
Aspen can be a heavy traffic choke point as is Durango, 550 should be on your horizon but I know it's all good. Enjoy.

I'm trying to figure out how to spend one night in Ouray, one night somewhere else, and finish in Tucumcari on Tuesday. Without repeating myself too much. Oh and do 149. 400 mile days, give or take.

Or maybe Tucumcari on Wednesday. This no planning thing is harder than it looks.

Steve, I like your idea except for 82. I've ridden it both ways and don't like it between Aspen and Carbondale. And Aspen is a beating in itself. Not to say I won't go that way if I can't come up with something better.

Larry, Ouray and 550 are practically must do's.

Anybody else?

Phil.. I still like 64 across upper NM. It has lots of landscape changes along the way...& once you get to Angel Fire take 434 down to Mora 442 120 thru Wagon Mound to 39 & 419 to 104 into Tuc.....

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

5e6a3a7a.jpg

And yes, I went west to east
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

:clap:

Another FZ-1 rider enjoys Colorado. Stop along 550 south of Ouray and take it in, I was too scared to look down and freezing the morning I was there.

Phil,

Did you meet up with the dude that has the MS1200? - when I ran into you in Ouray a few years ago? I think he use to be a professional session drummer if I recall.

Have fun!

RB

Phil,

Did you meet up with the dude that has the MS1200? - when I ran into you in Ouray a few years ago? I think he use to be a professional session drummer if I recall.

Have fun!

RB

Nope, my plans were so last minute, they already had other plans. Montana, Wyoming, Idaho.

:clap:

Another FZ-1 rider enjoys Colorado. Stop along 550 south of Ouray and take it in, I was too scared to look down and freezing the morning I was there.

Ouray is tomorrow if I can find a room (haven't looked yet).

Plan for today was Cottonwood Pass, Independence Pass, Aspen, 133 through Paonia, and a reride of the Black Canyon, staying another night in Gunnison.

Then I found out there was a big bicycle ride from Independence Pass to Aspen. I was told Independence Pass was closed, but I don't think that was accurate. Not wanting to dodge hundreds of bicycles, I regrouped and adapted.

135 north out of Gunnison,county road(?) 742, which has just been repaved and might possibly the smoothest, best surface I have ever ridden on, Cottonwood Pass (including 10-12 miles of dirt) to Buena Vista.
Slab to 50, over Monarch Pass. Side trip to Pitkin for a bbq sandwich, which was actually pretty **** good. Owners are from Rosebud/Westfalia area and were shocked I knew where any of those places were.
Back to Gunnison for gas and back east to ride 114 both ways. 114 is another very nice road I seldom see mentioned.
395 miles.

390 miles today.
From Gunnison to 149 to 160. 160 from Pagaso Springs to past Durango was a beating, heavy equipment traffic with twenty cars lined up behind it. Clear that one by using yellow lines as optional suggestions, theres's another just like it ahead. Past Durango there's brand new pavement, but striping crews etc keep traffic to a crawl. Finally get to 145 past Delores and I remember why I came to Colorado. Lizard Head Pass, then catch 62 to Ridgeway,then 550 to Ouray.

390 miles today.
and I remember why I came to Colorado. Lizard Head Pass, then catch 62 to Ridgeway,then 550 to Ouray.

Excellent choice. Paving projects and cattle drives slow you down but also allow some time to relax and take in the sights and scents. Did you creep through 550 like a scared weenie ? I did.
Have fun.

Let us know where you ate and slept for ideas for future trips when you get back.

aight,

Thursday, Tucumcari NM
Blue Swallow MOTEL, heavy on the Rte 66 theme. Old motor court. Small room, very clean. Sheets and towels are several grades above normal motel fare.
$70. Parked the truck there until my return. Highly recommend.

Pow Wow diner. Had the taco plate, no complaints. Would eat there again.

Kix on 66. Breakfast. Good food and plenty of it.

Friday, Cortez Colorado
see above for breakfast
fast food somewhere for lunch
crackers and peanut butter in the room. After 500 plus miles I didn't feel like looking for dinner so I broke into the emergency rations

Beny's for breakfast. It was fine, nothing special. I'd eat there again too.

White Eagle Inn (Cortez)
older property in immaculate shape. Pictures on Trip Advisor didn't do it justice. Large room, definitely stay there again if in Cortez. $70

Saturday and Sunday, Gunnison Colorado
ABC Motel. Older property, perfectly acceptable. Large rooms, a little dark.
First night upstairs double, $80
2nd night downstairs king, @72

Ate at Ole Miners first night. I admit it, I'm a steak snob. The ribeye was ok, acceptable I guess best describes. Beans were straight out of pork and beans can, bread was heat and serve rolls. Meh, not that great. $30 something with 2 beers, not including tip. Probably look elsewhere next time.

Mario's pizza the 2nd night. Very good. Personal pizza and a salad.

The W for breakfast. Sorry Drew, I don't see the allure. You get plenty of food and it's mostly good. The hash browns were mostly done. Service was SLOW and there were more empty tables than occupied. Toast came several minutes after I had started my meal.

Ate a bbq sandwich in Pitkin. Surprisingly good. I've had far worse in Texas. Owners are from Westfalia and were shocked I knew where that was.

Monday, Ouray Colorado.
River's Edge Motel. I caught a special, $65. Small room, immaculate. Definite stay again

Maggie's Kitchen for a cheeseburger. Way above average. $10 or there abouts with fries(homemade) and a drink. I recommend

Excellent choice. Paving projects and cattle drives slow you down but also allow some time to relax and take in the sights and scents. Did you creep through 550 like a scared weenie ? I did.
Have fun.

The fun part of 550 is tomorrow. I came into Ouray from the north today.

sorry your experience @ the "W" wasn't up to parr

i've eaten there SEVERAL times & have never had anything less than LOTSA REALLY GOOD FOOD, W/ VERY GOOD SERVICE

depending on how fast you get to/thru SILVERTON, HANDLEBARS serves up a really good BUFFALO BURGER & PEACH KLOBBER W/ICE CREAM

if you find yourself charging on thru, or happen to wake up in DURANGO, THE DURANGO DINER serves up a good breakfast, in an old diner environment

my wife & i SHARE a KITCHEN SINK OMELET w/ GREEN CHILI ON THE SIDE

most egg breakfasts, @ THE DINER, come on top of a platter of potatoes

i usually ask for crisp/well done potatoes

shiny side up

sw & chili

Only ate at the "W" once and it was good. Recommended by the hotel in Gunnison and by others. Had a good steak at the Red Barn in Montrose. Going to have to check out the Inn at Cortez.

Back in Tucumcari. 472 miles today. Right at 2000 miles in 5 days. Thanks for all the suggestions, back to the real world next week.

couple of pics

somewhere south of Silverton on 550
colorado2014025_zpsc4dedf60.jpg

Somebody said they were running fiber optic cable.
colorado2014023_zps4d1be413.jpg

self explanatory
colorado2014021_zpsd1d02cb8.jpg

colorado2014014_zps6d654dc9.jpg

Looks good, glad you had a great ride. Welcome back to hot and humid yuck....

I arranged secure parking at our hotel, St. James in Cimarron. Secure meaning a spot in the normal parking area.

Back