• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Bastrop Trails Regular Saturday Ride

OK Folks :sun:,

I am making my New Year's Resolution here & now on TWT. I Will Come & Ride The Bastrop Trails with ya'll in 2015. I've been wanting to for years, so now is the time to make plans.

i think ya'll meet-up on Sat/Sun at 9am ish near the state park, me thinks? I'm an old, low y slow guy on an '07 KLR 650, so no tight stuff for me. Coming from NW San Antonio, so need to decide how early to depart 78240 or night before.

Thanks, Vance :rider:
PS: I suspect a few other SA riders would make the trip with me, especially on a Sunday.

OK Folks :sun:,

I am making my New Year's Resolution here & now on TWT. I Will Come & Ride The Bastrop Trails with ya'll in 2015. I've been wanting to for years, so now is the time to make plans.

i think ya'll meet-up on Sat/Sun at 9am ish near the state park, me thinks? I'm an old, low y slow guy on an '07 KLR 650, so no tight stuff for me. Coming from NW San Antonio, so need to decide how early to depart 78240 or night before.

Thanks, Vance :rider:
PS: I suspect a few other SA riders would make the trip with me, especially on a Sunday.

I don't live in Bastrop but if the rain/weather is anything like it has been in Richmond, it will be very sloppy out there this weekend. The puddles can be deceptively deep and if it is muddy, Bastrop trails are not fun, especially on a big bike.

Re: Bastrop Trails Random and Irregular Ride

Vancealot I feel you, gotta get out there (again). Don't worry, perseverance will make the day. The trails out there are fun and worth the trip.

There's actually a couple of crazy guys that take their KLR's out there too, and do pretty good with them. Scott is a beast on his!

Hope to see you soon when the weather permits.

Thanks Guys :clap:,

Glad to hear that riding a KLR up there is being done... sounds like during a little drier weather though. For a 650 on the Bastrop Trails, is the challenge more due to trees on both sides of the mirror, deep ruts, roots or etc?

If I camped on a "warmer night" b4 riding, where do most of ya'll meet-up?

Vance :rider:
San Antonio

Once it warms up a bit and dries out, it's pretty good riding. The thing about the Bastrop trails is the rocks/gravel. I've always gone slower than I would on regular dirt to avoid going down. There are a lot of wide open dirt roads but also some single track, sand pit, deep ruts and tight sports in some areas too. Nothing too difficult and don't be afraid to drop your bike, I usually do out there at some point.

There are also the East Side trails in Austin which have a lot of single track. I've ridden with a few guys who have taken their KLR out there so it's doable if you know how to handle the beast. Lot of good places to camp too, I know a few folks who camp out there sometimes who might be interested.

Thanks,

I really enjoy being in da woods, just not regularly on my klr, so all insight b4 riding there helps alot. I do know austin, but not familiar with the east-side trails... where are the entry points?

I definitely want to ride both, glad camping is an option to keep it cheap. Appreciate all tips :clap:.

The east side trails are kind of on the down low. It's mostly undeveloped land or city land and riding isn't specifically permitted or prohibited which is why most try not to bring too much attention to it or post the location on public forums. Watch the Austin Urban Weekend Rides thread and you can meet up the next time someone is riding.

Thanks, will do.

There are also the Northside trails about five locations up here. I prefer these to the Eastside trails. But both are great to have a availability. We also take the KLR to Emma Long and Hidden falls. Both places are abusive to the KLR because of the 7" clearance issues. It fun still. Riding the northside trails today.

Looks like I need to explore North/East Austin & Bastrop :mrgreen:. What's a good crossroad for the northern trails? Thx

I guessing WAY muddy this weekend.

Signatures ???? We don't need no stinking signatures !!!!!

Not me. I m going to MX. :)

I guessing WAY muddy this weekend.

Signatures ???? We don't need no stinking signatures !!!!!
I've got fresh knobbies so... no honestly I Tread Lightly but I'm getting seat time this weekend.

I havent been out there in months! I just might be able to get talked into it...

jb, where about in GT are you in? I'm over by the county park on cr175/Sam Bass.. GT zipcode, but its technically RR...

I'm on the west side off Jim Hogg Rd., just past Sun City.

I was hoping for Sat, but looks like Sunday for me now.

FF, do you know the trails out there pretty good? I really only remember the neighborhood part there across from Bukees.

I know how to get to the trails, but don't really know them well enough to link one to another and make a day out of it like Joel does.. It would likely involve a lot of backtracking and doing the same stuff multiple times. I personally don't care, its time on 2 wheels.

Sunday however is not looking good for me this weekend...

Sorry guys. After the divorce and the new lady living 300 miles away (street ride every weekend) I had to get out of the dirt for a while. Don't think I don't pine for the dirt, it's just that other things are more important right now.

Back