• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

KLR650 Thread

Probably going to be swapping my voyager xii out for a klr this weekend, any suggestions on what to look out for on the Klr? Its an 08 with a replaced engine from a 2011 with about 20k miles on the engine, and 64k on the clock of the main bike

And I can't check to start the bike cold, we are going to try and meet about halfway

Probably going to be swapping my voyager xii out for a klr this weekend, any suggestions on what to look out for on the Klr? Its an 08 with a replaced engine from a 2011 with about 20k miles on the engine, and 64k on the clock of the main bike

If the doohickey's not been upgraded, you'll want to do that. The '08s and '09s were oil burners, but yours has been upgraded to a '11 engine, so you're probably good to go. Still, might be a good idea to really monitor the oil consumption closely for a while. Finally, no matter the year, KLR really means Keep Loctite Ready.

Awesome thanks! Due to the drastic weather change and temperature drop on Saturday I will end up trailering mine there and trailering the klr back, should be able to start it cold in that case! thanks all for your help

I saw a couple Gen II KLRs in New Bruanfels today as I was riding mine. I saw them just moments apart, so it made me wonder if I was missing out on something. Anyone on this thread?

Anyone up for a KLR tech day on 4/21? I've got the tools to change a doohickey. If possible, it would be good to either do a tech day at the home of someone with a bike lift or I could host at my home, but it would be good if someone could bring a lift. I've changed a doohickey with help before and think I could help someone else who needs help with it. Any interest?

Anyone up for a KLR tech day on 4/21? I've got the tools to change a doohickey. If possible, it would be good to either do a tech day at the home of someone with a bike lift or I could host at my home, but it would be good if someone could bring a lift. I've changed a doohickey with help before and think I could help someone else who needs help with it. Any interest?
Great idea, I am to far to join but may have to have one at my house before it gets to hot to work in the garage.

@Mudslick

I'm in if it is not too far from San Antonio. I can surely break something before then and need help fix'n. 😁

Just realized that April 21st is Easter. That date may interfere with family plans. I will let you know when I do.

Yeah. Big idiotic planning on my part. Easter Sunday, sure the wife would be down for that! How about the 27th or 28th?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Definitely better for me either 27th or 28th. And that way, we're not competing with the Easter Bunny.

I need a tech session for a doohicky, change antifreeze, flush brakes, adjust valves, check headset tension and ... I live in flyover country. Maybe I'll be able to make one. Krum seems closer to Zephyr. I need to get this stuff done before my KLR becomes obsolete.

I need a tech session for a doohicky, change antifreeze, flush brakes, adjust valves, check headset tension and ... I live in flyover country. Maybe I'll be able to make one. Krum seems closer to Zephyr. I need to get this stuff done before my KLR becomes obsolete.

At least you could have one heck of a nice ride to and from New Braunfels. Some nice roads between there and Zephyr. I don't know if it's so around Fort Worth.

You're right. New Braunfels is closer. The DFW area is the wrong place for a KLR, at least with me on it. I need to order a doohickey kit. How long does it take to arrive? Do you already have the tools needed?

You're right. New Braunfels is closer. The DFW area is the wrong place for a KLR, at least with me on it. I need to order a doohickey kit. How long does it take to arrive? Do you already have the tools needed?

Yeah, I have the doohickey changing tools. You will need to buy the Eagle Mike doohickey and the gaskets (believe me, if the gaskets look good, they'll need replacing any way. Better safe than sorry.) My gaskets looked good when I replaced my doohickey and now my KLR weeps oil. Should have replaced them when I replaced the doohickey. Go ahead and get what you need for an oil change as you'll be dumping your oil to replace the doohickey. If you have torque wrenches, bring them if you could, otherwise I can rent some (I have one from Harbor Freight that I don't trust any more)

If you order the stuff you need from Rocky Mountain, it should arrive within 2-3 days, at least that's been my experience.

What's a good day for you? I guess Easter Sunday is not a good day for anyone, but the weekend following should be okay for me. I don't want to wait too long because I'm coming up on oil change time and I want to go ahead and get my gaskets replaced when I dump my oil. I'm going to also upgrade to the torsion spring at that time.

JWaller, I have a meeting on the 27th. Honestly, I'll be 72 soon and I'm getting low on enthusiasm. I've had problems with my Tenere and RT on the road. It will be best for me to do my maintenance at home. Thanks for offering the tech day. The remaining KLR owners need to keep them rolling.

With as long as the KLR was made I don’t think they will be obsolete anytime soon, I love the idea of the tech day, but honestly I just finished putting a 685 kit and thermobob and raising links.... you get the idea last week, for now I want to spend more time behind the bars than behind a wrench, keep posting dates though. I may be able to assist in tool bringing in the future. 🤙🤙

Let me start the rumor mill.
I have no idea as to the legitimacy of this but looks super cool. One can hope.
I don't see a KLR without and stock back rack though.

Back