• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

My first project bike since 2011: 1980 GS1000

TWTim

Reaction score
It was free and it actually does run –– poorly. It had been sitting for 12 or so years:

I'll make a companion video soon explaining how I got it, but the short version is that it used to be my buddy Matt's bike. Matt gave it to our mutual friend J.R., who rode it for a couple of years and then put it in a leaky shed. J.R. needed to clear it out of storage and knew I used to restore bikes on a pretty regular basis, so he gave it to me. It had a full dealer touring package installed, which as you can see, I am in the process of stripping off the bike:

The wiring, fuel tank, brakes, etc., are all a giant **** show and the touring mounts are an abomination to motorcycles:

As soon as I can get it moved to my covered porch, the real work will begin. I'm not gonna try to do this one in my garage this time, because I need the room for other things. By the way, if anyone wants to buy the Windjammer, panniers, topbox, mounts, etc., make me an offer. These are all gonna go:

I'm gonna strip this thing down to an old-school muscle bike just like I did my '78 KZ1000 restoration a few years ago:

I'm shooting for something like this when it's done:

Wish me luck! Overview vid coming soon.

Trace the Stator wires down and you'll find that one of them routes up through the switchgear then back down to the R/R. It was a holdover from when they had headlight switches and it would would disconnect one leg while the headlight was off. You'll want to cut out that loop and wire the third leg straight to the R/R.

Also, Leon (Focus Frenzy) years ago posted a schematic for cleaning up the wiring for the ignition system which provides you with a hotter spark and smoother running. That is definately worth doing as well.

Good luck with it! That bike will run forever with halfway decent maintenance.

need a parts donor bike?

Hopefully not the whole bike, Leon. But so far I am looking for a bench seat, a regular GS1000 tailpiece, a regular headlight, and maybe even a complete wiring loom that is improved or unmolested. If you would, please let me know if you have any of that. Also, I need to dig around TWT and find your wiring diagrams. Thank you, sir!

Trace the Stator wires down and you'll find that one of them routes up through the switchgear then back down to the R/R. It was a holdover from when they had headlight switches and it would would disconnect one leg while the headlight was off. You'll want to cut out that loop and wire the third leg straight to the R/R

Roger that. Excellent info. Thanks for the tip.

Also, Leon (Focus Frenzy) years ago posted a schematic for cleaning up the wiring for the ignition system which provides you with a hotter spark and smoother running. That is definately worth doing as well.

I definitely want that diagram for sure. The wiring diagram I have in the service manual is very typical of bikes from this era, but I definitely appreciate ways to improve these systems.

the 1980 GS1000G don't have the dog leg to the headlight switch so you are good there. I will dig it up, I should have a very good stock type but recovered seat, a genuine German headlight with the Euro park lamp, two tail pieces, and this donor bike has the modified harness with the ignition bypass relay and blade type fuse holder.
there is also a genuine 1980 K&N air filter, Mac exhaust. she has 150K miles on her and was about ready for a fresh top end but this bike uses a third shaft for the drive damper instead of using rubber dampers in the wheel and this one is well worn and sloppy so I parked it some time ago. it is a very good parts bike, the forks were pretty fresh when parked, it has fork brace, cross over air line and other little vintage parts. I could use the free space.

the 1980 GS1000G don't have the dog leg to the headlight switch so you are good there. I will dig it up, I should have a very good stock type but recovered seat, a genuine German headlight with the Euro park lamp, two tail pieces, and this donor bike has the modified harness with the ignition bypass relay and blade type fuse holder.

there is also a genuine 1980 K&N air filter, Mac exhaust. she has 150K miles on her and was about ready for a fresh top end but this bike uses a third shaft for the drive damper instead of using rubber dampers in the wheel and this one is well worn and sloppy so I parked it some time ago. it is a very good parts bike, the forks were pretty fresh when parked, it has fork brace, cross over air line and other little vintage parts. I could use the free space.

Excellent. Honestly sir, I don't have room for the whole parts bike, but here is what I'm interested in if you're willing to take stuff loose and send it to me (or I can just come get it some weekend):

1.) Headlight
2.) Mac exhaust
3.) Loom/Harness
4.) The better of the two tailpieces
5.) The modded seat

Just whenever you have time (no hurry as this will be a long project), IM some pics to me and what prices you'd like to get. I'd appreciate it very much.

P.S. I might be interested in the tank, too, but I'm not sure yet. Will let you know.

they have changed the evil bot and mentioning the covid -19 don't get the video demonetized now.
it looks like you have a original K&N filter in the stock cleaner.
progressive rate springs on those shocks you may have a score there, need to look closer at them for manufacture.

Awesome, thanks for all the info thus far. I'll check to see who made those shocks. BTW, my previous video got demonetized for saying "COVID-19", so I was being extra careful. I noticed they have recently remonetized it. :)

Awesome, thanks for all the info thus far. I'll check to see who made those shocks. BTW, my previous video got demonetized for saying "COVID-19", so I was being extra careful. I noticed they have recently remonetized it. :)
What is the deal with mentioning covid-19?

What is the deal with mentioning covid-19?

YouTube decides whether or not they'll allow a video to make money based on the language used in the video and other content. At the beginning of the pandemic, they were demonetizing vids that mentioned or talked about COVID-19. They have since revised the algorithm to allow it.

@TWTim if that stock header is in good shape and you are replacing it with a MAC setup let me know. I wouldn't mind using it to possibly go back to a stock type exhaust on my GS1000. Currenty have a Delkevic on there now. It's a nice looking exhaust and sounds ok but is a little on the loud side. And I htink those dual megaphones are great.

Trace the Stator wires down and you'll find that one of them routes up through the switchgear then back down to the R/R. It was a holdover from when they had headlight switches and it would would disconnect one leg while the headlight was off. You'll want to cut out that loop and wire the third leg straight to the R/R.

Good luck with it! That bike will run forever with halfway decent maintenance.

Both of my GSes are currently wired up to have the coils on straight battery power though a relay. The stock wiring is old and the resistance between the old wiring and old connectors resulted in a 4 volt drop between the battery and the coils on the original wiring.

The 1000 is on a Dyna ignition system and the 850G is on the stock system.

I'll be moving more stuff on the bikes over to new wiring as time goes on. I have a whole new aftermarket fuse block on the GS1k and plan to add my headlight relay and new headlight wiring in. Same for the GS850 but I have less room for a new fuseblock.

Last edited:
@TWTim if that stock header is in good shape and you are replacing it with a MAC setup let me know. I wouldn't mind using it to possibly go back to a stock type exhaust on my GS1000. Currenty have a Delkevic on there now. It's a nice looking exhaust and sounds ok but is a little on the loud side. And I think those dual megaphones are great.

I plan to keep the dual megaphone setup and refurbish it in case I want to put it back on later, but if I change my mind I will definitely let you know.

UPDATE (for those asking): The Windjammer is no longer available for sale. However, all the rear touring gear is still up for grabs. I'll donate more money to TWT if it sells here. Cheers. :)

I plan to keep the dual megaphone setup and refurbish it in case I want to put it back on later, but if I change my mind I will definitely let you know.
It's not a bad sounding exhaust if it's still intact. Quiet, yet has some rumble to it.

In my photosucket thread I was originally looking for a GS1000 we used to call the Grey Ghost. Was the prettiest 1000 I think I've ever seen and it was simple. Let me see if I can dig it up.

Here we go. Found 3 pics of this bike. Simple naked bike with a chin spoiler and a cafe bubble fairing, really clean paint, black Engine with some polished parts. Just a beautiful bike.

Back