• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Would have been a lot more interesting to put the K5 up against the L7. Fun to watch, but it doesn’t prove much other than the importance of a properly setup suspension.

Would have been a lot more interesting to put the K5 up against the L7. Fun to watch, but it doesn’t prove much other than the importance of a properly setup suspension.
Spoiler alert...
But the fact that the "old" bike with a ton of miles and old tech still was faster than the new one. And it was consistent too with different riders and tires.
How "setup" was the GSXR? They replaced parts, but what parts level quality was it?
It is sad that nn almost $30,000 top of the line supersport bike gets beaten by a 15 yr old supersport that was $5,000 total cost.
The suspension on the new bike should be able to handle those riders without any extra expense, it has electronic settings galore which should allow proper setup.

They did say the Duc was equipped with softer springs to make it more streetable. Could a stiffer spring really make that much of a difference when the bike itself has over 40 more BHP and weighs less?

Sometimes a track can favor one type of bike/rider over another but you'd really think that Duc would smoke it everywhere.

That was a lot of fun to watch. Those guys are total track studs. Holy smoke! They can haul **s!! Also, fun commentary.

Good post!

And that my friends is why I dabble in older sporty bikes cause I get great "bang for the buck". Plus I get to wrench a lot more and can fix most things pretty easily. Not to mention playing dial a slide is always fun. My RC8-R used to leave 1-2 in black lines on the track even after I added the Bazazz FI/TC/Quick Shift to it. I love the lack of nannies as it forces you to be better at your inputs and focus. Loves me some old sport bikes. That 2006 Gixxer 750 was business at the track and it was low buck.

My fastest lap at Cresson is a 1:25,.fastest at Hallett is a 1:27, both on a 04 GSXR 750.

Last time I was out at both tracks on my 2015 R1 I couldn't break under 1:30 at either track.

Now....some of that is I'm a few years older and slower, but also I'm pretty sure I could go out on my 2006 GSXR 750 and lay down a faster lap than I can on.my 2015 R1.

By the way, all 3 bikes have tuned aftermarket suspension and race slicks.

For me, I'm just a bit scared of the R1. It's so dad gum fast that I rarely have the courage to go WOT.

Now...if I went to COTA with it, I'm pretty sure the R1 would be faster.

The R1 is also way easier to ride. I'm not as fast, but I can run 1:30s all day with very little effort. The GSXR definitely takes.more energy to ride.

Bottom line...I love the R1, but if I were going to race, I'd pick the 06 GSXR 750. But I don't race anymore...so I'll keep the R1.

I'm like this with my car. It's 13 years old with almost no nannies and even tho it's much slower than the newer ones it FAR more engaging. And you feel like to earned your lap times and weren't just a participant in them.

That was a fun video to watch. I remember when those Suzuki GSXR 1000s came out. I think I saw about 3 of them go off Turn 1 at TWS. Those bikes could haul the mail down that straight and catch people unaware of their normal brake markers. 2004-2005 was a fun time to watch the liter bike fights. I was on my CBR929 and then swapped to an Aprilia Tuono. I was faster on the CBR, but the Aprilia was so much easier to ride.

Agreed. Also bringing this up makes me wonder what has happened to Suzuki. They used to be so good.

That was informative and entertaining. Thanks for posting that. I enjoy those guys on just about anything they do. That Throttle Out show has been awesome. In a slightly different but similar way they're like the Freiburger and Finnegan of Roadkill for motorcycles...but not quite as ghetto.:rider:

Are they not good now?

I guess they are. :shrug:

I suppose my vision is skewed because when I started riding, everyone was chasing Suzuki. The Hayabusa, the GSXRs, the DRZ400, Kenny Roberts Jr. Suzuki seemed to be the top dog. Now it just seems like they have not come out with a new motor in a decade or more.

Are they not good now?
I bought the original K2 new, and have the latest one as well. Latest generation was just revised in 2017. New bike is good. Engine has mechanical VVT, so good power. Balance free suspension absorbs bumps really well. The new bike has all the latest gadgets, IMU, lean sensitive ABS, auto blipper up and down, ride by wire throttle, etc. It's an easy bike to work on too. Typical Suzuki fit and finish and durability. I think Suzuki still retains the most "streetable" ergos for a superbike.

I guess they are. :shrug:

I suppose my vision is skewed because when I started riding, everyone was chasing Suzuki. The Hayabusa, the GSXRs, the DRZ400, Kenny Roberts Jr. Suzuki seemed to be the top dog. Now it just seems like they have not come out with a new motor in a decade or more.
I don't know what you've been watching but the 2020 Suzuki is an awesome bike. 199HP, top end brakes, full electronic package, great handling.

It's competitive at every level.

If I wanted to win, I'd take a 2020 GSXR-1000R over the Paningale v4 every time.

Now...the Ducati is definitely faster...so it will win in a drag race, but it's notoriously harder to ride and corner. On a race track or twisty road, unless you've got mad skills, you're probably faster on the Suzuki.

Last edited:
Obviously the track this was done on has a lot to do with it as well. That 200 hp Duc would be more competitive on a faster track.

Obviously the track this was done on has a lot to do with it as well. That 200 hp Duc would be more competitive on a faster track.

Without a doubt, but this comparison and surprise result still points out how our perceptions of what is fast and what is worth it are sometimes skewed.

And that my friends is why I dabble in older sporty bikes cause I get great "bang for the buck". Plus I get to wrench a lot more and can fix most things pretty easily. Not to mention playing dial a slide is always fun. My RC8-R used to leave 1-2 in black lines on the track even after I added the Bazazz FI/TC/Quick Shift to it. I love the lack of nannies as it forces you to be better at your inputs and focus. Loves me some old sport bikes. That 2006 Gixxer 750 was business at the track and it was low buck.
Agreed. Also......the lower budget makes it less of a risk to push a bit more.

I don't want to go down on any bike, but I'd much rather lowside my 06 GSXR 750 than my 2015 R1 because I have a lot more $$ tied up in the R1 and thereforethe risk is greater.

This is probably the biggest reason I'm faster on the GSXR.

Back