• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2017 Iron Butt Rally

Rider's boxing the compass, my latest peek at Spotwalla reveals ...

From north of Edmonton, AB to Texas
From California coast to easternmost Terra Nova NP in Newfoundland and Labrador

gotta love it :clap:

No red showing, hopefully that earlier occurrence was nothing major :zen:

For those into the numbers, my Excel spreadsheet with standings including Points-Per-Mile and other stats can be downloaded here (save and change the file extension to .xlsx if it doesn't do that automatically) http://www.twtex.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=41839&d=1499203210

Last edited:
I am surprised as how many the are letting their location be reported are in New Foundland . Wonder how many unreported spot riders are there or on the way ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am surprised as how many the are letting their location be reported are in New Foundland . Wonder how many unreported spot riders are there or on the way ?
At the end of Leg 2 there were still 93 riders/teams participating. I assume that the multiple-machine team of Hayosh/Carrel/Mahoney would each have their own Spot for Rally Staff Tracking purposes, making a total of 95 'Spots' being privately tracked?

Looking at the Public Spotwalla, 90 devices are currently plotted - so very few opting out of Public tracking it would seem.

Are riders able to opt-in/opt-out of participation in the Public Spotwalla 'on-the-fly', or is that an option exercised at the start of the rally and 'fixed', or ....?

Thanks in advance for the continuing education ;-)

Last edited:
Most all of the spots are generic on that page, there is no names and the numbers rotate so the only way you have any clue who they may be is via the time zone of the device, it will have the time zone and a city in that zone and in some cases it is clear who they are.
Some have a link in the bottom left corner and that will take you to varying levels of personal spot tracks, some are very detailed some only have basic info on their track.
None have names on them.
They don't have to have a spot at all, it makes scoring easier and requires less leg work.

The red flag I saw didn't stay red long. It after going back orange they were still shown at that spot for a hour before they got moving again.

Rule II.C.1.b. states that a satellite tracking device monitored by IBR staff is required to get "tracking points", estimated at 10% of total points required to be a finisher. Surely no-one elects to forego those points and not use a Spot at all?

But AFAIK that's not a requirement to participate in the Public Spotwalla tracking page - they may have a Spot that can be tracked by IBR staff without being shown on the Public Spotwalla (as seems to be the case with ~5 riders at my last check). I just wondered if the election to participate in the Public presentation could be changed during the event?

Understanding that the Public data is anonymous (and perhaps time delayed) for good reason, the number of spots is still a true reflection of those participating in that Public system, isn't it? In other words, each of the 90 'anonymous' spots on the Public Spotwalla is a 'real' participant uniquely represented.

Last edited:
Um sort of, when the game started there were a couple of spots on the public page that made a beeline to the check point hotel in Alan. It was the spots for a couple of the officials working the rally who rode down.

I have missed the daily animated Spotwalla page of Rally Riders. Its a great way to see the movement of the herd and the few lone wolfs trying for killer bonuses. Sure, the one for Leg 1 is now on the IBR's web page (and is very informative), but the second Leg's animated Spots are not. Looks to me like these two links are what I have been looking for.

Animated Spotwalla for Leg 2:
https://spotwalla.com/animator.php?id=429&idt=2#

Animated Spotwalla for Leg 3 (in progress:
https://spotwalla.com/animator.php?id=429&idt=3#

Please excuse the interruption if this has already been posted, or is common knowledge.

Fazer Phil IBA UK president has a public spot going, following him as well as the Mexico IBA representative.

Tom, the animated spot maps put a great perspective on the distance they ride and the different routes everybody developed to chase points. Thanks! You are a prince and scholar.

... the few lone wolfs trying for killer bonuses....

Animated Spotwalla for Leg 2:
https://spotwalla.com/animator.php?id=429&idt=2#

Animated Spotwalla for Leg 3 (in progress:
https://spotwalla.com/animator.php?id=429&idt=3#

I thought I wanted to be an Iron Butt guy. I even got my Certif. so I could mount the license plate plaque on the back of my bike. But, I'm not really one of "those" guys.

The bonus in Key West would've killed my ride. I would have got side tracked by a cold beer and a burger and my Spot would've never moved again! :doh:

Well, at lest one 'unreported' on a particular ferry-trip per the July 05 Day 10 Daily. :trust:

Whoa, the potential string bonus vs 'island time' and value of detailed foreknowledge of ferry schedules (and 'Wednesday exceptions') explained in that daily report again reinforces the incredible role of strategic/planning skill in this whole thing. Fascinating stuff, to the point of mind-bending even for the rested observer.

Last edited:
DOH! fazerPhil pulled my stunt and mangled his wheels on his tigger.

note no news on the Terminator on his two fiddy ninja.

good to hear old school Suzuki still smoking along.

I am amazed, riding the Rally in a URAL!

July 06 Sidebar 7 Difficulty, naysayers, effort

"Or perhaps Paul Pelland continuing without a windscreen after a death wobble crash, making a
replacement pushrod out of a drill bit in order to get back on the road, and having the engine
replaced, twice, to finish on his hopeless class Ural. Not to mention surviving questionable
wardrobe choices."

HE FINISHED!!! A LDR extraordinaire. :clap::clap::clap:

Looking at spotwalla makes me think a few are cutting it close to being time barred .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back