• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2019 husky 701 build

Loan me your kidney and I’ll mortgage my house. That might get close

4d02ab8fe51f62de839821b49c60c1ab.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

That’s s good looking bike. I guess if one comes up I’ll jump. Brand new they are about the same price so I would lean to the 701

Probably a bunch of folks over on ADVRider who'd be happy to swap dirt wheels for those SMs.

Probably a bunch of folks over on ADVRider who'd be happy to swap dirt wheels for those SMs.
I'm sure they would. But is suspension valving different? I would think it would be.
I've sent kirk a few from adv but he doesnt wanna sign up lol

Can’t I just get a dirt road ready street legal bike? Is it that much to ask ? If the crf 450l was $8k I’d already be on my 2nd oil change

The above seems to indicate that the 2 are equal road bikes and this isn't the case. The 690 is far more stable on the road and can cruise at 80mph all day.

We did a 1200 mile Mexico trip last spring with 2 690s and one 500exc. The guy on the 500 was hating life at the end of the longer days while us on the 690s were as good as to be expected. That said, when we got to the trails and technical stuff the 500 was laughing all the way to the bank while we were working much harder to stay up.
You are absolutely right for longer road sprints, that said that was the reason I got rid of my 690, I hated it on the road, just didn't fit right. I actually hurt riding it. Raised bars, lower footpegs, and tall seat, nothing worked. Didn't try a small windshield but doubt that would have helped. But I still loved the 690 on dirt roads, was a hoot. I don't want to ride either far on pavement. Why I went to the 800 gs, not near as worthy offroad but I can still get through stuff but so MUCH better on the road, I could travel on it. And sadly, around here I have to ride so much pavement to get to any decent dirt roads. If inArkansas, I'd just go with a 500 and deal with it.

Reactions: JMZ
Can’t I just get a dirt road ready street legal bike? Is it that much to ask ? If the crf 450l was $8k I’d already be on my 2nd oil change

Yes , you can just get a street legal ready dirt road bike OR just ride the one you have now. :lol2:

But is suspension valving different? I would think it would be.

The suspension is different between the Sumo and the Enduro. The most obvious difference is the leading axle fork on the Enduro.

I was just joking about the 701. I'm still in the buy a 500 club . LOL

Unless you plan to ride fairly technical stuff, I'd go with the 690/701.

I have a 2010 KTM 530 EXC (carbed). It is an awesome bike and FAR more capable than me. It is not much fun on pavement that has any straights. It is a LOAD of fun in really twisty pavement! I CAN carry a good bit of luggage,

iBOM-187.jpg

BOM-185.jpg

That was my setup for camping off the bike for a week in Montana. The 690 is definitely better able to carry luggage though. A 690 would have done that trip just fine (and many did on that trip and a similar trip in 2017). In fact, I would say the 690/701 was probably the most prevalent bike at those two trips that had about 60 riders total. The only real issue is fuel capacity and there were many different solutions to that problem from Rotopax to aftermarket gas tanks. My 530 has around 300 mile range with the 6.6 gallon tank I have on it. It carries the weight low. That is the tank you see in the pic above.

Here is one of the 690's loaded like a pack mule. I think it needs a wee bit more preload in the rear though! I would upgrade to a stiffer rear spring if I were going to be loading it like this very often,

BOM-248.jpg

He frequently had a hard time keeping the front wheel on the ground... through several gears :lol2:

Adding gas to the 690 is a pain. You have to unload almost everything.
BOM-339.jpg

Here is a 690 with the Safari tank,
iBOM-254.jpg

On a recent Colorado trip, I got to do some seat time on a 690 going up and over an pretty rough pass. The bike did great. In fact, I can only think of a few places where it got really rough that my 530 would have really been an advantage over the 690. Maybe Black Bear Pass and the West end of Engineer Pass between Animas Forks and US 550 just South of Ouray. All the other stuff we rode the 690 was great.

I have been lusting after a fuel injected KTM 500 EXC for a while now just because I am tired of messing with carbs. A 500, would make a nice partner to my 1200 GS, much like my 530 does. However, if I were to sell both and only have one, the 690/701 would definitely be a front runner.

Unless you plan to ride fairly technical stuff, I'd go with the 690/701.

I have a 2010 KTM 530 EXC (carbed). It is an awesome bike and FAR more capable than me. It is not much fun on pavement that has any straights. It is a LOAD of fun in really twisty pavement! I CAN carry a good bit of luggage,

View attachment 60074

View attachment 60071

That was my setup for camping off the bike for a week in Montana. The 690 is definitely better able to carry luggage though. A 690 would have done that trip just fine (and many did on that trip and a similar trip in 2017). In fact, I would say the 690/701 was probably the most prevalent bike at those two trips that had about 60 riders total. The only real issue is fuel capacity and there were many different solutions to that problem from Rotopax to aftermarket gas tanks. My 530 has around 300 mile range with the 6.6 gallon tank I have on it. It carries the weight low. That is the tank you see in the pic above.

Here is one of the 690's loaded like a pack mule. I think it needs a wee bit more preload in the rear though! I would upgrade to a stiffer rear spring if I were going to be loading it like this very often,

View attachment 60072

He frequently had a hard time keeping the front wheel on the ground... through several gears [emoji38]2:

Adding gas to the 690 is a pain. You have to unload almost everything.
View attachment 60073

Here is a 690 with the Safari tank,
View attachment 60075

On a recent Colorado trip, I got to do some seat time on a 690 going up and over an pretty rough pass. The bike did great. In fact, I can only think of a few places where it got really rough that my 530 would have really been an advantage over the 690. Maybe Black Bear Pass and the West end of Engineer Pass between Animas Forks and US 550 just South of Ouray. All the other stuff we rode the 690 was great.

I have been lusting after a fuel injected KTM 500 EXC for a while now just because I am tired of messing with carbs. A 500, would make a nice partner to my 1200 GS, much like my 530 does. However, if I were to sell both and only have one, the 690/701 would definitely be a front runner.
I believe you summed it up with this .

A 500, would make a nice partner to my 1200 GS,

What's the difference between the maintenance on the 500, 690 and 701?

Back