• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Bastrop Trails Regular Saturday Ride

I just don't think we should try to second guess this. Rick wasn't riding too fast. I can't count the times I have dropped my XR650L under similar conditions. I just got away with it. He didn't. Freak accident. Don't say that he shouldn't have been riding Bastrop. It doesn't matter where it happened, his number came up, period.

I have to agree with JT here. I started riding dirt on my klr 650 and took multiple trips to Arkansas and Big Bend and Rich's Hill Country ride in Junction. I had multiple drops and get offs in every location and never got hurt until the Hill Country ride when I had a get off in a slimy water crossing. I was going less than 5 mph, had my feet on the pegs and the bike just went down so fast in the green slime that I couldn't even react. Slammed down on my left side on my ankle which was still on the pegs and on my left shoulder. Thought for sure I had broken my ankle but after a half dozen ibuprofen, I completed the ride. Later X-rays confirmed that I had not broken any bones, but I am still having shoulder issues 2 years later. Prior to the water crossing get off on the same ride, I had a high speed gravel low side while I was trying to keep up with a couple of guys on ktm 990 adventure bikes:eek2: I was definitely riding faster than my skill level there, yet I didn't hurt myself or the bike. I simply picked up the heavy pig and kept going. ;-) So now I have a 525 exc and I'm still learning to ride dirt and still falling off.:lol2: Bottom line is sometimes you just go down weird and get hurt and there is not always any good reason. jmho

I'm really curious what the LEO had to say at the beginning of the video. It's surprising to me that he didn't try to turn ya'll away.

Why would he turn us away? We were riding legal bikes on public roads. I just didn't want to ride past him without talking to him on the way in. He told us we could ride the roads.

We talked to him again after the accident. He told us the ambulance would not be able to get into the area we were in. He said I could leave my trailer in front of the sheriffs office. He asked if we wanted an ambulance to come up to the cemetery where he was parked. We said if we could get the truck out to there we might as well take Rick to the hospital ourselves. He gave us his cell number and took ours.

I thought I remembered that the paved road ends right about at the cemetary and it would have been obvious that ya'll were headed into the woods area. ls the dirt portion just beyond the cemetary considered a county road?

By the way, my daughter is an LEO in Comal county so I'm not anti LEO but I certainly have never had any good experiences with LEO's while riding semi legal areas.

As far as the crash discussion, I recently crashed my road bike after 40 years of no incidents so I fall on the side of "things happen eventually" when you ride. If there was no danger it wouldn't be near as exciting now would it?

All of the gravel roads in the area are county roads. They are in awful shape, that why we ride 'em. :)
When I see an officer in a situation like that, I ride right up to them and ask. Better than making them follow you. The Bastrop County Sheriff's office is about 1/4 mile from the cemetery. I've seen them out there several times and they are always friendly and just tell us to be careful.

JT, Glad to know that it was you who stopped and that there was no issue. The advice to ask is sage. I've turned a number of tickets into warnings simply by waiting for the officer if being followed or approaching him first. I've never worried about riding the platted roads, but I've always been careful to ride like an adult when passing the police station. In the early days we were careful not to cross the lots out of concern for that causing trouble with the police and HOA.

It looks like the PFHOA and the developers are still wrestling with the logistics of building out 6.

I agree with JT. It was something of a freak accident, and at low speed.If I had had the same little spill 20 times I might have gotten hurt once.I am just getting back on dirt bikes, but have ridden hundreds of thousands of miles on the street and gravel, and don't have the impression that this place is inherently too challenging. Had I known what the place was like, I might have waited to ride there until I had knobbies. The "80/20" tires I have are squirrelly and made me nervous.

I agree that is important for people to ride at their own pace, and one can see from the video that the riders in front of me were stopped and waiting when I tried to negotiate those ruts.

It's important to keep this in perspective - go out there on Saturday, be careful, have fun, and don't mention my mishap before beer and laughter are already flowing.

Hi Rick,
You don't know me yet but I live in Bastrop and normally I never missed the rides on the trails, because I am recovering from a small surgery I miss a couple of them already.
I saw the video of the accident....well, we can talk later about the "stability leg" , "hard boots" or "better attack posture", in some way factors that contribute to the broken leg, but this was mainly bad luck, bad place, bad angle of the bike.
Sadly this always happen early on the rides, when you are full of excitement or later in the ride when you are tired....or in the case or JMZ, for no real reason, just because :lol2:
I hope you a fast, relaxed, fun recovery!! You really took it like a man, I hope I can do the same if that happen to me but probably I will be squealing like a stuck pig.

PD: I am not an expert, not even close to regular, but my first dirt bike experience was in the Bastrop trails, I also believed the place is a really good learning place. :rider:

Hey Rick, glad you're doing ok.
Here's a vid of Jessie and my ride once we got you going with the other guys. We had about a 3 hour ride, these are just some of the spots you missed and will have to get out to once you heal and are ready.

[ame="https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=osMUlC6lNYc#"]KLR 650 Triumph Tiger 800XC SE Adventure riders at Bastrop TX - YouTube[/ame]

Chiricahua, I had no idea that place is so vast! What a great playground! it looks like a lot of fun. I'm glad that you guys got in a good ride after your rescue efforts. Thanks for posting the video. I'll be in touch.

Chiricahua, I had no idea that place is so vast! What a great playground! it looks like a lot of fun. I'm glad that you guys got in a good ride after your rescue efforts. Thanks for posting the video. I'll be in touch.
Hey psi, I'd like to apologize for being so blunt in my earlier post, I was just frustrated seeing an injury that I felt could have been avoided. As a firefighter and first responder I've seen it ALL, and after awhile you just get tired of seeing people get hurt. Maybe I was venting, I don't know, but again I apologize.

Re: Bastrop Trails Random and Irregular Ride

Where would you suggest for a ride? Fly down smooth class one gravel roads at 40-50 mph?

I`m talking about someone who is a total new rider that just bought a dual sport bike . Some of the stuff at Bastrop is pretty hard ,especially if you try to go too fast for your skill level by trying to keep up with more experienced riders in a group .

Rick, sorry to hear about your accident and hope you heal up quick and get back on the bike soon. Quite a life story you have, i'd love to hear more of it some time...

Most of us would be lying if we said we didn't have our own get-offs while riding, at Bastrop or elsewhere.

Accidents are just a part of life, and they are going to happen.

Hey Psi,

keep us updated on the healing and how you are dealing with working. I'm sure you are a hero to your students!

:rider:

Hey psi, I'd like to apologize for being so blunt in my earlier post, I was just frustrated seeing an injury that I felt could have been avoided. As a firefighter and first responder I've seen it ALL, and after awhile you just get tired of seeing people get hurt. Maybe I was venting, I don't know, but again I apologize.

It's all good, Rman. Give it no further thought. Thanks for your service. You must see the worst and your take on this is understandable. Maybe we'll ride someday ... If you feel like going half speed and waiting a lot. : D

Hey Psi, keep us updated on the healing and how you are dealing with working. I'm sure you are a hero to your students! :rider:

My kids are golden. "How are you feeling?" "How can I help?" They DID love the video. LOL!! (But without being mean at all. ****, what 8th grader wouldn't?)

yeah, that's great to hear :-)

Rman is great to ride with. he was the epitome of patience with me. my first time on gravel, on my strom, fully loaded with camping gear. prolly not the best way to approach things now that i look at that in print... humm. the luck of the ignorant.

oh, and, my first water crossing was that day too!

It's all good, Rman. Give it no further thought. Thanks for your service. You must see the worst and your take on this is understandable. Maybe we'll ride someday ... If you feel like going half speed and waiting a lot. : D

Don't worry he is good at waiting, very patient with Lynne and I when we first started. Now he doesn't have to wait so much even when we are on our ST's.:rider::rider:

Don't worry he is good at waiting, very patient with Lynne and I when we first started. Now he doesn't have to wait so much even when we are on our ST's.:rider::rider:

The waiting is on purpose, gives him a chance to snap a photo and take a smoke. The faster you go, the faster will he so he still gets a wait break in.

_

Hey Rick, glad you're doing ok.
Here's a vid of Jessie and my ride once we got you going with the other guys. We had about a 3 hour ride, these are just some of the spots you missed and will have to get out to once you heal and are ready.

KLR 650 Triumph Tiger 800XC SE Adventure riders at Bastrop TX - YouTube

Still sorting out the whole Video thing. Took me awhile to get it uploaded.

The Tiger's point of view...

[ame="http://youtu.be/P3xHxPDpQbU"]Tiger 800XC and KLR 685 Bastrop Trails (Tiger's View) - YouTube[/ame]

Back