• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Beyond EPIC - a weekend hill country dual sport ride

Yea I dont forget my tire ran out of air again on Hwy 16...lol...gonna take that tire off this week and see what the **** is wrong with it.

Here's the beyond epic day 2 route. We ended up following the first (dirt) part of it, but we modified the paved (afternoon) part.
WeekendRompDay2.jpg

After Hackberry Rd we headed south to Bullhead Rd, a class 2 road. I had forgotten how much fun it is.

Donnie on Bullhead
Aug30-312008DSRide108.jpg

Rusty
Aug30-312008DSRide109.jpg

Rusty
Aug30-312008DSRide110.jpg

BigDon
Aug30-312008DSRide111.jpg

BigDon
Aug30-312008DSRide112.jpg

During our the day before I had brought up the toughest DS road in Texas. It was not part of our planned route, but XR Tim expressed interest in riding it. It wouldn't be hard to add to the route, since we were going right by it. The group discussed it and decided that those that wanted to ride it would do so while everyone else would bypass it and meet us at the southern end of that road.

Now that we had Bullhead out of the way, the toughest DS road in Texas was next.

With regard to XR-Tim's alleged splash-down in the Nueces River along Hackberry Road.... The plot thickens. While there is no photographic evidence of the actual fall, here is a picture of Tim picking up the XR immediately after the "alleged" fall. Mind you, I had to carefully guard this evidence because it was suggested to me that if I was not careful about where my camera was at all times, this picture would mysteriously disappear.
TIMdownWaterXng.jpg

Thank you Richard for the compliment. I was worried that I would not be able to keep up with everyone on a ride such as this, so I am glad to hear that I did not hinder the group, or slow you guys down in any way. Can't wait to do it again. I am working on the video portion of the ride report today... hope to have it done soon.

I discovered the toughest dual sport road in Texas last year while out exploring. It's not very long at just 5 miles, but the mile or so that uses a creek bed as road is a challenging class 3. I was on my Wee when I discovered this road and can't believe I didn't crash; class 3 is a little too much for the Wee. This time, however, I was on my KLR, which is fine for class 3.

Not everyone wanted to tackle this road, so we split into 2 groups. The 2nd group headed south via pavement to meet us at an agreed upon location.

The first part of the road drops steeply down into a valley and the waiting creek bed below. The road has some sharp drop-offs so you have to pay close attention lest you take the express route to the bottom.

Our first sight of the creek bed / class 3 road
Aug30-312008DSRide113.jpg

Shortly after reaching the class 3 section we came upon a downed tree.
Aug30-312008DSRide114.jpg

Aug30-312008DSRide115.jpg

A bypass would have to be found. XR Tim, on the most capable dirt bike in the group, blazed a trail around the tree. This is the route he found:

Ride through here
Aug30-312008DSRide116.jpg

and then through here
Aug30-312008DSRide117.jpg

and then through here and back onto the creek bed
Aug30-312008DSRide118.jpg

Ahh, this is more like it! Back to the class 3 creek bed
Aug30-312008DSRide119.jpg

Rick
Aug30-312008DSRide120.jpg

Aug30-312008DSRide121.jpg

Arnold
Aug30-312008DSRide122.jpg

Aug30-312008DSRide124.jpg

All too soon, the tough stuff was finished. We went through the gate and were back on the easier class 2 & 1 stuff.
Aug30-312008DSRide125.jpg

A little later, we linked back up with group 2 and headed south at warp 5. It was about 2 p.m. and our dilithium energy crystals were depleted and needed to be recharged. Luckily we found a re-charge station in Leakey, of all places. They even had a special on chicken fried dilithium crystals with a side order of mashed potatoes and gravy.
Aug30-312008DSRide126.jpg

If you are ever in need of a recharge in Leakey, here's the place
Aug30-312008DSRide127.jpg

We rolled out of the restaurant as a group but as we made our way northeast riders peeled off towards their respective homes, shrinking the group until it completely disappeared. And that was that. Our beyond epic adventure was done.

From humble beginnings
Aug30-312008DSRide005.jpg

to this
Aug30-312008DSRide073.jpg

some of this
Aug30-312008DSRide083.jpg

a little of this
Aug30-312008DSRide089.jpg

and a lot of this :-P
Aug30-312008DSRide093.jpg

it was a great ride.

Thanks for riding with me, guys. Looking forward to next time.

With regard to XR-Tim's alleged splash-down in the Nueces River along Hackberry Road.... The plot thickens. While there is no photographic evidence of the actual fall, here is a picture of Tim picking up the XR immediately after the "alleged" fall. Mind you, I had to carefully guard this evidence because it was suggested to me that if I was not careful about where my camera was at all times, this picture would mysteriously disappear.
TIMdownWaterXng.jpg

Alright ya got me:giveup:

While you guys were busy either taking photos of this place from the outside, or simply riding past it without stopping, I took the time to meet the owners.

They didn't say much, but they really wanted to know what we were doing in their neck of the woods. I began to tell them the story of our epic ride. They were, of course, all ears.

363601736_vmH6E-L.jpg

Bob

The SPOT device worked flawlessly. Here are a couple of views of the various returns over the course of the two days...

363624227_nW4aP-L.jpg

There were a total of 71 "hits" and 1 "OK" message that I sent from Junction.

The red arrow, hit #1, was the first ping outbound from my house, about 1/4 mile away down the road after I started the unit in my driveway.

The yellow arrow, hit #71, was the last ping inbound to my house, in fact, that's right in my driveway.

363624182_9LG79-L.jpg

Below, pings #19 and #20 of 71, so you know this is outbound to Junction, somewhere enroute. I like the terrain view on the findmespot.com website. You can see the other 3 choices in the upper right hand corner.

363624296_gVWz2-L.jpg

Here below you can see the "OK" ping, which I sent from the motel in Junction. The ping in the lower right was sent by the SPOT unit at random but happened to be in the center of Morgan Shady Park. I highly recommend Morgan Shady Park if you run the Hill Country and want a spot to camp instead of a motel.

http://www.morganshadypark.com/

If you wanted to mark your specific location with the SPOT, all you do is send an "OK" message.

363624145_xHuab-L.jpg

As I said, the SPOT unit worked flawlessly. We were out of cell phone range much of the time. So in addition to the interesting "SPOTcasting" tracking you see here, if there had been a serious problem, I would have hit the "9-11" button instead of the "OK" button, and SPOT command post personnel would have used our exact location via the GPS fix to send assistance.

I'm still playing with it, I've only had it for a week, and this was its first field test. I'll be taking it to Mexico next month for the BMW rally as well as the MexTrek event. Along with a satellite phone.

I placed it on the outside of the bag I had on the back of the bike, secured by two lanyards.

I should have had lanyards on my cycle pump bag and my gear lock - both of those fell off the bike enroute in the Hill Country - but fortunately for me, my on-road brothers found both.

Bob

Last edited:
Avatar suitable photos from our beyond epic ride. If you want the full size photo, email me.

Anthony
Aug30-312008DSRide048_edited.jpg

Rick
Aug30-312008DSRide051_edited.jpg

Arnold
Aug30-312008DSRide055_edited.jpg

Tim
Aug30-312008DSRide058_edited.jpg

Bob
Aug30-312008DSRide060_edited.jpg

Donnie
Aug30-312008DSRide063_edited.jpg

Joel
Aug30-312008DSRide066_edited.jpg

Don
Aug30-312008DSRide069_edited.jpg

You Guys are awesome with all the pictures and write ups - thanks for my Epic Avatar .............. Rick M

Thanks for a few images to add to my collection for the next round of front page images :trust:

Richard, I had a great time on this Beyond Epic Ride. I enjoyed meeting everyone. You guys had so many cameras out that I never took a picture.
Y'all took some really good shots.
But that comment "Don #1 - aka BigDon the Ironbutt impersonator" HEY!

Impersonator my Ironbutt!:rider:

Attachments

• 100_1816.JPG
    100_1816.JPG
    100 KB · Views: 192
Richard, I had a great time on this Beyond Epic Ride. I enjoyed meeting everyone. You guys had so many cameras out that I never took a picture.
Y'all took some really good shots.
But that comment "Don #1 - aka BigDon the Ironbutt impersonator" HEY!

Impersonator my Ironbutt!:rider:

My deepest apologies.

Let the record show that the correct term should have been: Ironbutt BigDon - living up to his name.

Well, I pulled my pictures off my camera and realized that I really have the same collection that others have already posted. Less actually. For some reason I didn't take many.

I enjoyed the trip and riding with you all.

I think my highlights from Saturday, riding with Don (BatCountry) were the couple of small towns we rode through that were having celebrations. One was stopping all traffic coming through town for the big fish fry. At the end of town we passed a Kawasaki mule pulling a small wagon of hay with folks in the wagon. A modern hay ride :clap:

In the town of Harper they were getting set up for a parade. They had cones down the middle of US 290 going through town. People were already lining the street in folding chairs. As we rode along the road, little boys playing in the gutters would wave at us. What a hoot! We were the pre-parade entertainment. No wheelies though.

We dodged small showers all the way from the Enchanted Rock area to Junction and keep going from hot and sunny to cool and damp. Deer all over because of the temp change and the clouds. We had BBQ at the gas station/BBQ place right near the hospital. Pretty good and really nice folks running it. They stay open until 1am in case you need food late. Apparently the rest of the town closes up early.

Sunday has been covered nicely by everybody else. We hooked up with the folks heading north on 16, the peeled off at 29 in Llano. Just dodged another storm near Burnet and made it home dry. Grabbed a couple of Aleve and a beer chaser and headed for the shower. 528 miles for the weekend and my lower back was hurting. Woke up Monday feeling great though.

Enjoyed the company and look forward to the next trip.

here is a pic at the entrance to Kent Road. The gate was chained but not locked. I have a few more pics i'll post tonight.
2820168536_37d7ff76f1_b.jpg

Speaking of enjoying the trip and looking forward to the next ride, I think this was fun enough to do again next year. Labor Day weekend 2009, the 2nd annual Beyond Epic Hill Country 600 - to Infinity and Beyond.

Last edited:
Sounds good - I am in also
Lynx 310 - start working on your KLR now and you might be ready by next Labor Day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
List - tires,brakes,lights,body work,chain and sprockets,suspension upgrade to help forward bite on gravel road turns,ect.ect. ect.
Rick M

Here's what I couldn't get. We pull into Bandera for lunch at Sonic (a more down-home Hill Country restaurant was sort of blocked off by the annual Banaera Labor Day weekend parade), and suddenly people are leaning against something to rest.

363469581_NWvef-L.jpg

363470391_vyEWc-L.jpg

The activities of our group arouse suspicion, so we are met at Sonic by the mayor, Sara Palin the vice-mayor, and minister of defense for Bandera...

363471667_RFg65-L.jpg

I didn't say it at the time, but I thought it odd that Donnie and Tim felt the need to stop in the middle of things, lay Donnie's bike down, and pray over it. Well, Donnie's bike did need prayer.

363481061_o2szj-M.jpg

Later on Rick would demonstrate how happy he was to be there and do a dance jig around Donnie's back tire...

363486320_RpzCX-L.jpg

Joel joined in, and their feet got so hot, that we had to grab a towell and fan the flames...

363486999_pcq4d-L.jpg

I did enjoy learning "Bump Gate Technology" in the back woods. This is one of my favorite photos. A metaphor of doors opening when you step out, sign up, go for it.

Several folks on the ride, including me, had never done a TWT event prior. The best thing is, making new friends, discovering hidden trails and treasures within your own radius of one day's ride from home, and adding to your off-road skills.

C'mon - adventure is calling...

363478784_Mi4xw-L.jpg

Bob

Last edited:
Bob,

You took 2 pictures of Rick's butt. Hmmm....

:lol2:

Lynx 310 - start working on your KLR now and you might be ready by next Labor Day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
List - tires,brakes,lights,body work,chain and sprockets,suspension upgrade to help forward bite on gravel road turns,ect.ect. ect.

Lol...whats funny is most of that stuff arrived today. It was supposed to be here early last week....

Stuff I got in:
Brakes
Chain
Sprocket
Tubes

Stuff I am still waiting on:
Tires

Stuff I am ordering today
Turn Signals
Replacement Bolts
Tools
Air Pump