• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Bike Recommendations - 350/400 Enduro

KTM of North Texas in Arlington has Sherco. Apparently has one of each on the showroom so not just ordering them when needed but actually has them in stock for the most part.

Thanks for the info. I'll have to check it out.

Are you comparing Beta/Sherco to KTM/Honda? The Beta dealer is closer than KTM dealer, we do have Honda dealer here. The 8 year old technology- are you referring to when Beta was using KTM engines? Bottom line, after considerable research, 60 hours on bike-very satisfied. This is my first 4 stroke after years of riding and racing 2 strokes, so the key factors were smooth power(no need to replace ecu), comfort for long rides-suspension, handling and lack of vibration compared to competition.

Yeah I am. The Beta is a great looking bike, but isn't the engine and suspension 8 years old? It seems like there ought to be a bigger discount for them. I've never associated Italy with reliable motor vehicles!

Yeah I am. The Beta is a great looking bike, but isn't the engine and suspension 8 years old? It seems like there ought to be a bigger discount for them. I've never associated Italy with reliable motor vehicles!
No, they have brand new models just like everyone else. That's the "old beta" since 2015 atleast they have been constantly improving on their bikes. And they have been winning the national hare and hound series

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

No, they have brand new models just like everyone else. That's the "old beta" since 2015 atleast they have been constantly improving on their bikes. And they have been winning the national hare and hound series

This year 2 strokes have counter balanced engines. Some folks still prefer a carb. I don't consider them outdated.

One of my riding buddies bought a 300 Last week and just gave me a ride report. He said that the bike handled really well. A little stiff in tight sections but really nice in the whoops. New bikes are typically stiff at 1st. He is a is/was a KTM guy and said he is very happy with the bike.

If you want a race bike with lights, it isn't a dual sport in the traditional since. I know many guys who love race bikes with lights, but not my style. If you want a dualsport that will go about anywhere, look at the older 4 strokes from Honda and Yamaha. Fix one up for 1/4 the price of the new rockets, ride forever, just go slower. My current adventure favorite is a TW200 bored and stroked to 276ccs, that pushes about 20-25hp through a XT 6-speed transmission and clutch. Gets down the highway (and anywhere else) fine. Not nearly as fast as the racers with lights, but cheap and easy to keep rolling, and my short legs both touch the ground at the same time. This is what floats my boat after 50 years of dirty bikes ranging from trials to dirt track to motocross to desert racing, with a couple dozen dualsports amongst them. I feel my choice is justified not only by my own experience, but by the couple dozen dualsport riders I know who have given up on the race bikes with lights and 650cc+ dualsports and settled amongst the mid-range crowd. No, the bikes I speak off don't win races, or cart you across the desert at 90mph with their relatively sorry suspensions, but wherever I go even the rattiest of dirt roads are public and have speed limits. Ask the wardens. Think carefully about what you actually want to do.

No, I'm looking for something like an old school enduro along the lines of the 70s Yamaha DTs and Honda XLs. It'll mostly be used off road but I'll ride it to those roads. I'm not looking for speed.

No, I'm looking for something like an old school enduro along the lines of the 70s Yamaha DTs and Honda XLs. It'll mostly be used off road but I'll ride it to those roads. I'm not looking for speed.
Xr650l with a lectron carb

Beta/Sherco demo at the McMahan ranch in Smithville this Sat. Bikes provided by Big Country Motorsports in Tomball. Play day also for $30. Be there! Or go to Diamond Don's vintage meet in Jefferson Tx this April. If you want an old school bike you will probably find one there, AWESOME event!

bmcdonau said:
I'm looking for recommendations for a medium sized enduro with fuel injection.....need a bike that can run here in Texas and at high altitude without having to mess with carb jetting.

bmcdonau said:
No, I'm looking for something like an old school enduro along the lines of the 70s Yamaha DTs and Honda XLs.

if you find one, we want to know!

Last edited:
I've got this old Honda, but it's been restored and I don't think I'd take it up a mountain trail. Now its developed an oil leak and I've got to split the cases to put in a new clutch actuator seal.

How does the Kawasaki KLX 250 compare to the Honda CRF250L? I heard the Honda had a pretty weak engine.

Beta/Sherco demo at the McMahan ranch in Smithville this Sat. Bikes provided by Big Country Motorsports in Tomball. Play day also for $30. Be there! Or go to Diamond Don's vintage meet in Jefferson Tx this April. If you want an old school bike you will probably find one there, AWESOME event!
Saturday or Sunday????

How does the Kawasaki KLX 250 compare to the Honda CRF250L? I heard the Honda had a pretty weak engine.

I've owned a 2014 crf250L in the past. It didn't gel w/ me for moderate to difficult single tracks due to the shallow 7"-9" ground clearance ,and the 330lbs, but the bike is built well, and honda quality hardware everywhere. with the bike being at that weight, it was exceptionally well mannered on the road, but the 2 gal tank only gave me less than 100 mile range before the low light popped on, so that was annoying for county road use. The engine is silky smooth, but it's only a 250cc, so you can't have it both ways.

If i were in the market, I'd go w/ the KLX250 for the more offroad (higher ground clearance,but also higher seat height) use vs. road, and the 250L for more road vs. offroad. Like stated, that 250L motor is class leading. it's silky smooth, solid honda quality. easily a 100k mile motor w/o a teardown if you ride it like a normal person.

I've owned a 2014 crf250L in the past. It didn't gel w/ me for moderate to difficult single tracks due to the shallow 7"-9" ground clearance ,and the 330lbs, but the bike is built well, and honda quality hardware everywhere. with the bike being at that weight, it was exceptionally well mannered on the road, but the 2 gal tank only gave me less than 100 mile range before the low light popped on, so that was annoying for county road use. The engine is silky smooth, but it's only a 250cc, so you can't have it both ways.

If i were in the market, I'd go w/ the KLX250 for the more offroad (higher ground clearance,but also higher seat height) use vs. road, and the 250L for more road vs. offroad. Like stated, that 250L motor is class leading. it's silky smooth, solid honda quality. easily a 100k mile motor w/o a teardown if you ride it like a normal person.

Thanks for the input. I doubt I'll put many miles on it around the house since I'm not really a dirt rider -- at least the dirt roads around where I live. I think ground clearance is pretty important for where I plan on using it most of the time.

Back