• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Chuck, my best friend.

I have been texting with Chuck. His is up to texting, but only every three or four days. He is going through physical therapy now. His therapist told him that he has seen people worse than him recover almost completely. I think that lifted his spirits, at least temporarily.

Tell him to grab a handful of throttle and ride it out.

Still praying that he has a complete recovery. Like JMZ said above we need to hear some stories especially ones about you.

Pick it up and let's get moving
dHR8LjDfORb44.gif

I know Chuck. I can assure you that Chuck is doing everything in his power to get better. On our South American adventure, we spent a couple weeks in Bolivia above 12,000 feet. We rode across a pass in the Andes, between Nazca and Cusco, that was 15,700 feet according to my GPS. That's almost a 1,000 feet above the tallest peaks in Colorado. Spent three nights in La Paz above 13,000 feet. I woke up every night struggling to breath. Feeling like I had 50 pounds strapped to my chest, gasping for air. I was haggard, feeling like I hadn't slept in my life. After two weeks, we finally descended to near Calama, around 8,000 feet, and for the first time in two weeks had a good night's sleep. I can imagine that is what Chuck has been going through for the past two plus months. Most likely worse. So, as unusual as it may seem, I am cutting Chuck some slack here, knowing he is doing his best.

No doubt he is doing his best. Just want him to know we are pulling for him.

I know Chuck. I can assure you that Chuck is doing everything in his power to get better. On our South American adventure, we spent a couple weeks in Bolivia above 12,000 feet. We rode across a pass in the Andes, between Nazca and Cusco, that was 15,700 feet according to my GPS. That's almost a 1,000 feet above the tallest peaks in Colorado. Spent three nights in La Paz above 13,000 feet. I woke up every night struggling to breath. Feeling like I had 50 pounds strapped to my chest, gasping for air. I was haggard, feeling like I hadn't slept in my life. After two weeks, we finally descended to near Calama, around 8,000 feet, and for the first time in two weeks had a good night's sleep. I can imagine that is what Chuck has been going through for the past two plus months. Most likely worse. So, as unusual as it may seem, I am cutting Chuck some slack here, knowing he is doing his best.
That is a very good description of what happens, your body just can't get enough oxygen and you suffer from it.

Just now saw this wow so sorry to hear about this. Prayers for a full recovery Chuck keep fighting.
My son in law and my two sisters had it but not to this extreme, just wierd how it can infect people differently.
All this brings back memories with my brother back in February all the same symptoms, but they never tested him for covid and we were around him every day for months. All this was before the shutdown.

Just now saw this wow so sorry to hear about this. Prayers for a full recovery Chuck keep fighting.
My son in law and my two sisters had it but not to this extreme, just wierd how it can infect people differently.
All this brings back memories with my brother back in February all the same symptoms, but they never tested him for covid and we were around him every day for months. All this was before the shutdown.
Same thing with a sister in law same symptoms they called it pneumonia, no one else in family got it.

I don't really know what to say or how, but Joe Fink did not make it home from a lunch meet with some other TWT riders today. He had an accident on FM 149 and did not survive. He was riding alone at the time. I don't have any other details other than there will be an autopsy done. Just kind of numb right now... I will share more when I find out. Please pray for his wife Laura.

Laura has already told Chuck. Please keep praying for him as well because he and Joe were very close.

Im with you I just can't believe it myself. Rode with him many times he was always a joy to be with. Had many stories to tell with all his traveling him and Chuck took. I know Chuck is devastated losing his best friend of many years and hope he remembers all the good times they had together. Prayers for Joe and his family.

I am in complete shock. An outstanding and very experienced rider and an exceptional person. My prayers and thoughts for Joe and his wonderful family.

My apology for taking so long to update my status. I came home on the 7th of October. I met the minimum conditions for leaving the Encompass Rehab Center in Katy. Minimum conditions are to be on none or less than three liters of oxygen per minute and be able to get around and have someone to take care of you when you get home. Were it not for my wonderful wife, I would be sunk. I can get by when resting on one liter of oxygen but if I do anything I need three or four. Walking from room to room is tiering and leaves me panting. But I'm improving, although slowly. My toughest challenge is the 17 steps I have to climb to get upstairs to the bedroom. But, after 5 times it is getting easier...not easy just not as hard as the first time. The doctors say that I should continue to improve but they don't know how much and only time will tell. I want to thank all of you for your thoughts, wishes and prayers during this difficult time for me.

I want to say some things about Joe Fink and I will say them on Tourmeisters thread.

Last edited:
Great news, Chuck. Always known you to be a fighter, so had no doubt, but was still surprised at just how bad it turned out. So glad to hear you are doing better, and have no doubt you'll beat it in time. You are so right about having a wonderful wife; they are priceless. Won't be the same without Joe around, but maybe we'll get the ol' Tuesday breakfast group going again... whenever you're ready :wave:

Chuck,

How is the recovery coming along? Are you still having to use the oxygen concentrator?

Chuck,

How is the recovery coming along? Are you still having to use the oxygen concentrator?
Thanks for asking. I’m improving but it’s slow. I don’t need oxygen as long as I’m not exerting myself. No problem sitting at the computer, watching TV or sleeping. If I get up and walk around, shower or anything active I need it although in smaller amounts like 2 liters a minute. But also, I’m doing those activities very slowly too. The other day at physical training I walked 450 feet in 6 minutes with 2 liters of oxygen per minute. Most old ladies don’t have any problem getting away from me. My doctor told me today that based on my level of improvement to date, I should be able to do most of what I used to do within four to six months. But, she also added that this is a new type of illness and nothing is guaranteed. It still was very encouraging to hear.
I hope you and everyone else on this thread are staying safe and healthy.

Back