• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Do Music and Motorcycles go together?

Road thing was just listening to Hendrix a couple weeks ago. Bought his cd used and it might be a greatest hits cd with his most famous songs on it. Drew

Morgan I heard somewhere that Golden Earring was from another country and not from the USA? I remember that song also and Bonnie Tyler and her raspy voice. Good songs. Drew

Best music is

The Humming of the bike
When GPS says you still have a few 100 miles till reaching final Destination

The rest is all extra :)

The best sound in Motorcycling is the low thump of a single cylinder. Thinking BSA Victor 441.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bO_xAN61Ubs"]BSA 441 slow idle. - YouTube[/ame]

I relax for lazy rides :zen: with:
Gary Numan, i am jen, Mr. Scruff, Ronald Jenkees, Sylvia Tosun

I generally move a little quicker than I should with:
Logistics, Paper Diamond, Polish Ambassador, quiddity

Then there's that aggressive gear-crunching I don't do...much :twisted:
Atreyu, Disturbed, Five Finger Death Punch, Korn, Neurosonic

Thing is I rarely say 'I want a lazy ride' or 'I feel quick today' so I generally put the mp3 player on shuffle with everything. My riding style can seem a little neurotic but what the hay; makes for a fun ride regardless. :rider:

I relax for lazy rides :zen: with:
Gary Numan, i am jen, Mr. Scruff, Ronald Jenkees, Sylvia Tosun

I generally move a little quicker than I should with:
Logistics, Paper Diamond, Polish Ambassador, quiddity

Then there's that aggressive gear-crunching I don't do...much :twisted:
Atreyu, Disturbed, Five Finger Death Punch, Korn, Neurosonic

Thing is I rarely say 'I want a lazy ride' or 'I feel quick today' so I generally put the mp3 player on shuffle with everything. My riding style can seem a little neurotic but what the hay; makes for a fun ride regardless. :rider:

Rhodyne I was waiting for you to chime in! Gary Numan makes riding a pleasure principle!:rofl: Drew

I can't do bands. Songs I can do. Not bands.

There's a few bands that I enjoy nearly everything of, but for the most part, I like songs, not bands.

As with many here, my tastes are more than a bit eclectic.

Newsboys
Theory Of A Deadman
Maroon5
Def Leppard
Brad Paisley (not as often on the bike)
George Strait (again, rarely on the bike)
Weezer

And many more that I won't bother you to list.

I usually have music plugged in, but if I really need to clear my head, it's just me and the engine.
Loud intake noises help :trust:

Metallica
Seether
Disturbed
Santana
Tantric

Also like in the mix:

Nickleback
Breaking Bengamin
Celldweller
Chevelle
The Exies
Fuel
Godsmack
Hinder
Diamond Rio
Linkin Park
Molly Hatchet
Papa Roach
Shinedown
Staind
System of a Down
Three Days Grace

And a few others. :mrgreen:

With over about 3800 songs, I can't go wrong.

I see we have similar musical tastes. :mrgreen:

There's a few bands that I enjoy nearly everything of, but for the most part, I like songs, not bands.

As with many here, my tastes are more than a bit eclectic.

Newsboys
Theory Of A Deadman
Maroon5
Def Leppard
Brad Paisley (not as often on the bike)
George Strait (again, rarely on the bike)
Weezer

And many more that I won't bother you to list.

I usually have music plugged in, but if I really need to clear my head, it's just me and the engine.
Loud intake noises help :trust:

Right now one of my favorite albums is Hollywood Undead's American Tragedy. Not a bad track on it at all IMO. Really looking forward to their new album next month.

Double wow it is nice to see such variety in music tastes. You TWTers are all over the place,amazing. I see bands here that I have never even heard of. Gets me wanting to make a list so that I may check them out. Also your list include old stuff I may have forgot about. Great to know that we can discuss more than just bikes here. Still alot more of you that have not put your two cents in. Lets see which type of music gets you going. A penny for your thoughts. Drew

Most classic rock gets boring quickly due to overplayed radio time growing up and predictable time scale. However, outside of US mainstream music, there is plethora vault of good music with a fresh perspective.

On my MP3 plate, I like:

Mali Latino from Mali
Adama Yalomba from Mali
Diabel Cissokho & Ramon Goose from Senegal
Amar Sundy from Alegeria
Kalaban Coura from Morocco
Muntu Valdo from Cameroon
Grupo Lokito from UK
Sarazino from Ecuador
Incendio from California
Mariposa Solar from Columbia
Lasairirfhíona Ní Chonaola from Ireland
Adama Yalomba from Mali
Angelique Kidjo from Benin

...for mainstream music, I enjoy Santana, Allman Brothers, Led Zeppelin and Eric Clapton.

RB

Most classic rock gets boring quickly due to overplayed radio time growing up and predictable time scale. However, outside of US mainstream music, there is plethora vault of good music with a fresh perspective.

On my MP3 plate, I like:

Mali Latino from Mali
Adama Yalomba from Mali
Diabel Cissokho & Ramon Goose from Senegal
Amar Sundy from Alegeria
Kalaban Coura from Morocco
Muntu Valdo from Cameroon
Grupo Lokito from UK
Sarazino from Ecuador
Incendio from California
Mariposa Solar from Columbia
Lasairirfhíona Ní Chonaola from Ireland
Adama Yalomba from Mali
Angelique Kidjo from Benin

...for mainstream music, I enjoy Santana, Allman Brothers, Led Zeppelin and Eric Clapton.

RB

Thats different for sure RB. Where did you hear about all the out of the country music? What kind is it? I do not listen to the radio very often for the same reason. They seem to play the same thirty or so songs over and over and over. Drew

I cannot stand it. I made the list too short it seems for most of you. It is hard to narrow it down especially for us music nuts out there. So I will add a few that I omitted that you can try on for size. Your assignment for today;Listen to some NEW MUSIC.
6. DADA
7. Berlin
8. Jules and the polar bears
9. Sarah Mclachlan
10. Rush
11. Gary Numan
12. R.E.M.
13. Code Blue
14. Jackson Browne
15. Rough Trade

Dire Straits
Scorpions
Fleetwood Mac
Clapton (John Mayall, Cream, Derek, etc. etc)
Outlaws
Beatles
Heart
Tom Petty
SRV
Deep Purple
Moody Blues

1. Southern Culture on the Skids

That's a great band right there.

1. Led Zeppelin
2. Van Halen
3. Megadeth
4. Journey
5. Oingo Boingo

Hard to leave off about 100 other bands. I like listening to Celtic and Bluegrass too.

Dire Straits
Scorpions
Fleetwood Mac
Clapton (John Mayall, Cream, Derek, etc. etc)
Outlaws
Beatles
Heart
Tom Petty
SRV
Deep Purple
Moody Blues

Tom Petty in my top twenty for sure. Do you have a favorite Petty song? I think "Insider" and "One story town" but it is hard to choose I have enjoyed his music forever. Really like all the songs on the first album. Drew

Thats different for sure RB. Where did you hear about all the out of the country music? What kind is it? I do not listen to the radio very often for the same reason. They seem to play the same thirty or so songs over and over and over. Drew

You ask an excellent question and that is what determines what type of music a person enjoys? Scientifically speaking, I've heard that music is very heavily associated with mathematics. Complex timing, changing timing, frequencies that are multiples of each other, etc. Our brains are very precise timers, timing multiple events at once and they make associations and prefer certain structures based on timing and mathematics, all subconsciously.

...the music genome project on which the Pandora streaming service many of us enjoy is based on a very complex series of calculations including a team of individuals who job is to break down each song to it's elemental structure. If you listen to Pandora a tab provided as you listen to the song at least on the on-line version provides a detailed structure of a song.

...for some a favorite musical style might involve

- simple, repeating, catchy melodies
- unusual vocalizations. Hard to describe, but I'm drawn towards unique-sounding choruses.
- heavy beats
- (sometimes) fast beats, 180 bpm or so
- structured music
- "riffs", both guitar and synth
- superimposition of one musical style over another

...if you like Country Western, the above motif will sound terrible. As you know, most CW songs don't have have complicated guitar structure nor complicated drum pieces unlike the various forms of jazz. Some folks dislike jazz because they can't have the typical 3 1/2 minute song with lyrics that follows pop music format. Jazz at times can feel almost frantic changing tempo and timing frequently. For this same reason, "jam bands" like Phish or even Allman Brothers can take a 3 1/2 minute studio song and extend the playing time by 20-30 minutes by adding longer solos etc.

Now as to why I might have an eclectic song list compared to the next guy? ...this has to due with two component like brand preferences in other areas of brand loyalty.

Nature: our DNA makes us differently receptive some things vs. others. (Think: cilantro, either you love it or it tastes like soap). Similarly, there are some things that might instantly appeal to your sensibilities for complex physiological reasons that can't even begin to understand. However, other things may be acquired tastes, in that subtlety that comes through repeat listening might appeal to us for other difficult to understand reasons. There are some songs or genres that you despised growing up but after time it "grows on you" as was the case with C&W at least for me. I "entered" the appreciation zone for C&W through the related genre of Southern Rock via Allman Brothers and LS.

Nurture: What music we're previously exposed to informs and affects how we listen to all other music (especially the music we're exposed to during critical periods of musical development (this is childhood and 17-25) like Classic Rock for me and yea, I even saw the Jackson Five in the Astrodome in Houston in the 70's. They were superb! In this vein, a song that is in your "nurture" comfort zone might appeal more to you more immediately, whereas an unfamiliar genre, tonality, etc. may take some time to appreciate. If a new band plays a song reminiscent of "your song" with your high school girlfriend, then it might immediately appeal to you, as opposed to something entirely unfamiliar to you.

Be open to new listening modalities.

:clap:

Riding, I prefer the music performed by the Foamie Polyurethane band.
481889.jpg

Favorite tracks are:

• The Sound of Silence
  • Can you Hear Me?
  • Beethoven's 10th Symphony
  • Your Silence is Deafening
  • Just Fade Away
  • O, Silencio Mio!

Riding, I prefer the music performed by the Foamie Polyurethane band.
481889.jpg

Favorite tracks are:

• The Sound of Silence
  • Can you Hear Me?
  • Beethoven's 10th Symphony
  • Your Silence is Deafening
  • Just Fade Away
  • O, Silencio Mio!

great choice of riding music. :thumb:

That's a great band right there.

1. Led Zeppelin
2. Van Halen
3. Megadeth
4. Journey
5. Oingo Boingo

Hard to leave off about 100 other bands. I like listening to Celtic and Bluegrass too.
Whats your favorite few Megadeth and Oingo Boingo songs Dave.Tx?
Mine: MEGADETH/How the story ends,Symphony of destruction,Train of consequences
OINGO BOINGO/We close our eyes,Just another day ,Grey matter Drew

The marimba is indigenous to Guatemala, it takes three guys to to strike the keys, not sure if that s the right term, each one has two mallets in each hand. They do some very complex rythms. Sometimes a fourth makes kind of a droning sound on it. I'm not sure how that works.

Day of the dead 2012, Todos Santos Cuchumatan, Guatemala

PB011382-L.jpg

Staggering drunks in the street are not required to appreciate the music, but they help.

Oh yeah:

1: James McMurtry
2: Steve Earle
3: Robert Earl Keen
4: the original Lynyrd Skynyrd
5: early Eagles

Midlifecrisis this is not about listening to music while riding. I do not listen while I ride. Only the drone of that inline four keeps the beat for me. It is about learning what type of music,bands,etc that people that ride on this site listen to. The music the TWT group jam to is what I am after. Please jot down 5-10 bands you like so we may have a chance too see whats on your i-pod,cd player,cass deck,8-track player,or reel to reel. Sorry the title might be a little confusing. Or maybe you were being funny? Drew

Back