• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

GS can do!

Oh, what the heck. :lol2:

brokenKTM.jpg

That is just going too far.:clap:
You are going to make them cry.:lol2:

Last edited:
Wow...

I figured this was just a little good natured ribbing when it started out. I would have never thought by posting that silly picture anybody would get their britches in a bunch. It certainly wasn't intended as personal insult or attack.

TIM.jpg

That's a problem these days, thin skin babies.

Maybe you could step it up a notch and Al & Jessie to protest at the dealership!
After all Beamer lives matter right! LOL

Bunch of wieners, getting panties in a wad, it's just poking fun at the other team. Jeeeeez really?

I actually enjoyed the jokes (both sides).

Last edited:
Wow...

I figured this was just a little good natured ribbing when it started out. I would have never thought by posting that silly picture anybody would get their britches in a bunch. It certainly wasn't intended as personal insult or attack.

TIM.jpg

Hey Roger, it's a democracy, let's take a vote and decide who's to blame! I think it was you! Or maybe it was Tom! Yeah, that's it. Did you see the picture of that 450exc he posted? (all intended in jest) :-) :lol2: :rofl:

Whose the adult in charge here?

I'm the Adult and this thread has went way to far. So I just want to tell all you guys that my on 88 GS is better than your bike and with its 50HP its way faster to.

Me thin skinned, nope, you would be wrong.

I am actually having fun watching others lash back like little girls.

Ride what you want, I'm just not a KTM fan.

Get over it.

:moon:

Hey Roger, it's a democracy, let's take a vote and decide who's to blame! I think it was you! Or maybe it was Tom! Yeah, that's it. Did you see the picture of that 450exc he posted? (all intended in jest) :-) :lol2: :rofl:

Whose the adult in charge here?

I'll take it Joe, haven't been in interweb trouble in a while. :mrgreen:

ET450 the bike crashed in the sand, smashed the front and had to be loaded on a trailer.

Here is the crashed 950. Lots of broken plastic but still able to wheelie home if the rider wasn't hurt. Just be glad that wasn't BMW plastics as repair costs would be 3X more expensive. But then KTM is the high maintenance brand so just as bad. Oops now I have polarized myself from both camps so nobody will ride with me again. Lol

DSC01769.jpg

And how was I wrong, did it not catch fire and do damage to the bike. Yes I remember you were there on the fire example. Please clarify exactly what happened to that bike and what caused it.

Cliff Note answer is: Shorai battery was abused, overheated and caught fire. Nothing bike or water related.

My point is all bike have problems and if you are going to rag on another bike and show cute pictures. Do the same with your own bike and don't whine about it when someone points it out.

I thought this is a contest and everybody takes sides and only posts about the other brand. My Yamaha is so reliable nothing to poke fun at. Of course you're free to search, find and post something. Lol And when you do I will laugh at it and probably save the photo myself.

Here's my cute picture. BMW GS water boxer rear ended the Super Tenere at high speed. OMG the Tenere got a flat rear tire! Lol

DSCN3437%20cafe_zpswlptamwg.jpg

DSCN3436%20cafe_zpsmnycxp18.jpg

_

From what you posted SB I was not 100% wrong as you stated. Close but not 100%.

I have been down more than once and never had that kind of damage. That picture is one of reasons I would not have the KTM.

Thank you for your response.

Tenere's are super reliable and no one will debate that. I really like the S10.

I wanted a KTM, the specs have me written all over them. Then went to Orange Crush quite a few times to learn about the 950/990 and from what I read from KTM owners I would rather the crashed water boxer. Not a KTM fan.

Last edited:
I'm the Adult and this thread has went way to far. So I just want to tell all you guys that my on 88 GS is better than your bike and with its 50HP its way faster to.

I tried to keep up with you guys on one of the Roll The Bones rallies when I was on my KLR... I seem to recall Calvin's 1100 GS having a bald back tire as well.

I gave up and started taking lots of pictures so ya'll would wait for me at intersections :mrgreen:

I tried to keep up with you guys on one of the Roll The Bones rallies when I was on my KLR... I seem to recall Calvin's 1100 GS having a bald back tire as well.

I gave up and started taking lots of pictures so ya'll would wait for me at intersections :mrgreen:

I remember that. The tires I had on the GS sucked, they felt like I was on a slip n slide on gravel. I can't remember what they were but they were more street bias. I now run a K-60 rear and TKC80 front, much better on gravel and made me slow down on pavement and that is a good thing since I ride so much by myself.

I would never ride my GS on Elephant Hill like in the video, wrong tool.

I tried to be somewhat nice, but I figured that I need to rebut your lame response. All my text is in bold.

I will try not to make it personal and only state what was written by you and others.

Here is the crashed 950. Lots of broken plastic but still able to wheelie home if the rider wasn't hurt. Just be glad that wasn't BMW plastics as repair costs would be 3X more expensive. But then KTM is the high maintenance brand so just as bad. Oops now I have polarized myself from both camps so nobody will ride with me again. Lol

Sorry the guy got hurt on the bike, I don't like to see anyone to get hurt at all, while riding or otherwise.

But as I stated in my other post. I have crashed many times, pavement and dirt and never had that kind of damage. My point is if it can't take a single bike crash and keep on going, well. The picture I saw of that bike at the time it was posted was the final straw for me. I was going to put what I have witnessed and read aside and buy a 990 Adventure any way. After that, no way.

DSC01769.jpg

Cliff Note answer is: Shorai battery was abused, overheated and caught fire. Nothing bike or water related.

SB, you did not clarify. You just made a statement. I call BS on you cliff note.:deal:

This is a link to the thread of the KTM battery problem. You can form your own opinion as I did and SB did. SB put a cliff note as if he is giving you the absolute fact. He just gave you his opinion. Not fact. .:eek2:

http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1263435#post1263435

Post #44 This is a reply from the owner of the bike that caught fire. Also look at post #39 where SB gives his opinion where it could have overheated, not definitive proof it was not water related. See post # 33 for another opinion to be water related not just the battery.

The owner sold the bike. Hmmmmm?
http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1291296#post1291296

I thought this is a contest and everybody takes sides and only posts about the other brand. My Yamaha is so reliable nothing to poke fun at. Of course you're free to search, find and post something. Lol And when you do I will laugh at it and probably save the photo myself.

Here's my cute picture. BMW GS water boxer rear ended the Super Tenere at high speed. OMG the Tenere got a flat rear tire! Lol

DSCN3437%20cafe_zpswlptamwg.jpg

DSCN3436%20cafe_zpsmnycxp18.jpg

_

Another poor attempt on your part to make the BMW look bad by comparing a high speed crash with another mc the same as a single bike crash in the East Texas dirt. Furthermore that S10 is non rideable also. lol

SB, with all your KTM cheer I don't see a garage full of KTMs in you sig. You only have the 300 you just recently purchased. If you are so king on them why don't you own a garage full of them? You did buy a WeeStrom and a S10 that turn out to be 2 of the most dependable motorcycles made. This fact alone tells me that your thinking is closer to mine than you want everyone to believe. Heck the 950 you brag about was for sale and you did not buy it.

In fact several others on this thread have sold or trying to sell their 950/990/1190. Just saying.:doh:

So if you want to go on and try to prove that you are the foremost authority, go ahead and have fun. I don't believe everything I read or hear. Yea, I heard you talking also in San Saba for breakfast.:lol2:

I am a rider. :rider:

Ride Safe.

Last edited:
I am actually having fun watching others lash back like little girls.

That's funny. The only post I see lashing out, are your's...

In all honesty, I really think BMW makes a cool bike, but just out of curiosity. What is about the BMW's that folks think is so superior?

Its not superior to a KTM if your talking off road it does not have a 21 inch front wheel so it dont track as good off road it was not designed to be. But when you have to do some street riding its three times as good. Its a street bike you can ride on the dirt and gravel. Plus its reliable still not up to Japanese standards but it will outlast even a jap bike. You just have a few problems along the way.

I have had three GSs, one 1150 and two 1200s. I don't like or ride them because I think they are the "superior" bike to all other contenders. I just really like them for the kind of riding I do. That's really all there is to it. When I rode your 990 Roger, I had a blast! It even gave me a bit of a twitch for another bike for a bit... :-P

This kind of discussion seems pointless though. Who cares which bike someone might think is better? Buy what you like. Ride what you like. Same goes for everyone else. End of story. :zen: Is everyone really so insecure about what decision they have made that they have to try to prove to everyone that it was the only rational decision? Good grief! I am just thrilled that there are so many incredible bike choices out there right now! :dude:

I tried to be somewhat nice, but I figured that I need to rebut your lame response. All my text is in bold.

I will try not to make it personal and only state what was written by you and others.

Another poor attempt on your part to make the BMW look bad by comparing a high speed crash with another mc the same as a single bike crash in the East Texas dirt. Furthermore that S10 is non rideable also. lol

SB, with all your KTM cheer I don't see a garage full of KTMs in you sig. You only have the 300 you just recently purchased. If you are so king on them why don't you own a garage full of them? You did buy a WeeStrom and a S10 that turn out to be 2 of the most dependable motorcycles made. This fact alone tells me that your thinking is closer to mine than you want everyone to believe. Heck the 950 you brag about was for sale and you did not buy it.

In fact several others on this thread have sold or trying to sell their 950/990/1190. Just saying.:doh:

So if you want to go on and try to prove that you are the foremost authority, go ahead and have fun. I don't believe everything I read or hear. Yea, I heard you talking also in San Saba for breakfast.:lol2:

I am a rider. :rider:

Ride Safe.

Wow, wow and more wow. Lol

Sorry you can't bait me. You can say, believe and ride what you like. That is what I do with equal opportunity. I am not a fanboy of any sole brand and I spread my love around when making my selections with value my first and foremost criteria.

I gave Cliff Notes as I won't be posting a long explanation of the entire incident that I personally witnessed and worked on. I have no time for that as I'm too busy living/loving, traveling, working and riding. If I see a long post I usually don't even read it thoroughly.

You clearly have me confused with someone else. I don't even know where San Saba is and had to map it. Pretty sure I've never been there before, at least during my current life.

_

That's funny. The only post I see lashing out, are your's...

In all honesty, I really think BMW makes a cool bike, but just out of curiosity. What is about the BMW's that folks think is so superior?

I may be lashing, I think its the KTM riders that think they and their bikes are superior. This is the vibe I get form the owners. Of course it's just my opinion just like yours.

I don't think they are superior. I like the heck out of my GS but it is not superior, never said it. It's awesome, not superior.

I don't know why I bought BMW. I am a jap bike guy and imop you can't beat the jap bike dependability. Don't care how much hp or how good the suspension and brakes are.

The the brands that riders say are so great on these rides. I went to Orange Crush, problem after problem.

To be open minded and fair. I started looking around to buy another bike besides my KLRs and see what the fuss is all about.
I could not get anyone to let me ride their 950 or 990, I was basically told to buy it and find out. That is not going to happen! I did get a short ride on Big A's 690, finally someone that would let me ride their bike, thanks again Big A. I ride other peoples bike like it belongs to them not me. After riding it I got back on my KLR. I went to check out a R1150GS. After a good talk with the man he told me to take it for a ride and take my time. What the heck, left him my keys to my truck and went for a ride. I rode the bike about 50 miles, came buy my house, parked in in my drive way and gave it a good going over. I was stunned, I could not put my finger on it, it was freaking awesome, I just couldn't get over it, it was just different than anything I ever rode. Holy cow I'm going to buy this bike, tomorrow. I never buy right now, always think about it over night. Well thought about it and called the man the next day that I decided to wait because I wanted to check out a few more bikes, he was cool with that. I wanted to check out the F-800GS and R1200GS and still not got a ride on a 990/950 yet. I was in the hunt and was going to buy a bike I wanted, the bike had to make me buy it. The BMW was eating at, couldn't put my finger on it. Drove to Austin to look at ride and potentially buy the KTM. No ride no buy. Same think with the KTM dealer here in SA, when he was on 281 north. Both wanted me to buy without riding. I did that before more than once, did not regret it one bit. But I was not going to do it again. Talked to Alamo BMW last, no problem riding their bikes. I rode the F800GS got off of it right on the R1200GS. I wasn't that impressed with the F800GS. The R1200GS was a different story I was freaking out, that was a heck of a bike. I wanted to buy it bit I knew where a R1100GS was good. I was thinking if the 1100 does to me what the 1200 and the 1150 does, I was going to buy it. I rode it and bought it.

I know this is a little long winded, but you asked.:deal: EDIT: Really really long winded

I should have done a little more research on the R1100GS. It had the well known issue of the 3rd gear skip. It did it once on the test ride but I disregarded it.

I bought it and was a happy camper, I was riding it every weekend, Sat and Sunday day rides from 275 to 350 miles each day. Its an awesome bike that made me want to ride and I did. I skipped every once in a while progressively getting worse. I had started reading and was pissed. But I was not thru riding this bike. I could not get enough and was going to fix it and ride. I did, $500 later I put a tranny out of a 99 R1100R in it, bolted right up and have done nothing but change the oil and tires and ride since then. I mean nothing.

After all this 2 guys I know that new all about my tranny problems kept telling me how great the 990 is but would not let me ride theirs. Finally When I told them to stop telling me about how great they are and let me ride theirs. Finally one of them did. It was nice and it run good, but no way that bike is going to make me get off my old R1100GS.

What ever bike I get next will have to make me sell my GS or I will keep riding it. 62000 miles and counting.

I never said the BMW was superior. I just explained why I think it is a awesome bike.

All I can say is buy one and find out for yourself!:deal:

Ride Safe.

Last edited:
Wow, wow and more wow. Lol

Sorry you can't bait me. You can say, believe and ride what you like. That is what I do with equal opportunity. I am not a fanboy of any sole brand and I spread my love around when making my selections with value my first and foremost criteria.

I gave Cliff Notes as I won't be posting a long explanation of the entire incident that I personally witnessed and worked on. I have no time for that as I'm too busy living/loving, traveling, working and riding. If I see a long post I usually don't even read it thoroughly.

You clearly have me confused with someone else. I don't even know where San Saba is and had to map it. Pretty sure I've never been there before, at least during my current life.

_

You made cliff notes that are of your opinion not fact. You helped put the fire out, you did not fix the bike.

Go read the fire problem thread.

You do know where San Saba is and you have been there. You were there on your TE630 when it was new. I don't want to have to go find the thread with pictures of your bike in the motel parking lot. I'm pretty sure there are pictures. Not 100% sure.

You talk/type so much you don't even know where you have been. Maybe you should read more, talk and type less.

For someone who is so busy you sure post a lot.

Ride safe.

Last edited:
Just out of curiosity do you really think a KTM is a better bike than a BMW? This one is for
Requared.

Last edited:
This kind of discussion seems pointless though.

Agreed. I thought it was rocking along pretty well there for a while - funny photos and some good-spirited ribbing. I even had a few photos to add, but decided not to risk appearing like I was picking sides.

Anyway, to answer the why BMW question - for me anyway. Bike one was serendipity, just dumb luck I found it before a Honda XR650. I stuck with BMW because of the dealer. I find another dealer like Lone Star I'll likely ride whatever they sell.

m

You made cliff notes that are of your opinion not fact. You helped put the fire out, you did not fix the bike.

Go read the fire problem thread.

You do know where San Saba is and you have been there. You were there on your TE630 when it was new. I don't want to have to go find the thread with pictures of your bike in the motel parking lot. I'm pretty sure there are pictures. Not 100% sure.

You talk/type so much you don't even know where you have been. Maybe you should read more, talk and type less. For someone who is so busy you sure post a lot.

Ride safe.

Beyond words.

Get into the box now, bye bye.

can-stock-photo_csp15136610.jpg

_

Beyond words.

Get into the box now, bye bye.

can-stock-photo_csp15136610.jpg

_

The reason for the ignore is you know you are wrong, FanBoy.:rofl:

And if I would have know there was a ignore box I would have checked yours as soon as I got home from San Saba and we would not be going thru this bs. I would not have even seen your ignorance shining so bright.

Now why did you post up in the first place?

I bet you have some Orange palm palms.:rofl:

Every time SB posts (not the others) the notice goes to my spam folder.:zen:

Last edited:
Back