• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Interesting

Ok.......

Ha. I put that one right up there with the ldea of spraying wd40 on brakes to stop the squeaking. Somebody get a camera, this is gonna be good...

Going easy it may keep you from pushing for a short distance down hill. Bailing wire would work better

Reactions: my6
Yep, beats the heck out of walking it back to the truck...

Ha. I put that one right up there with the ldea of spraying wd40 on brakes to stop the squeaking. Somebody get a camera, this is gonna be good...
I worked at a honda MC dealer in the late 70s. Honda actually put out a service bulletin on how to stop brake squeal. Spray wd 40 on the rotor and burn it in. It worked.
WD 40 was not water based back then, they changed formulas in the mid 80s.

I worked at a honda MC dealer in the late 70s. Honda actually put out a service bulletin on how to stop brake squeal. Spray wd 40 on the rotor and burn it in. It worked.
WD 40 was not water based back then, they changed formulas in the mid 80s.
wow

Good point....I need to add some to the emergency kit!

I would also recommend adding some JB Weld putty. It is like playdough, with an outer layer and inner layer. You cut off the amount you think you will need, then mash it up to mix the two layers. They react with each other and it starts getting hot. You mold it to the shape you need or apply it to a surface, then let it cure for about 15-20 minutes. It will be ROCK hard and will stay put for a long time, like years... A tube is about the size of a roll of quarters. You can find it at any autoparts store. I have used it to patch a big hole in a valve cover on my R1150 GS years ago, to patch a massive hole in the side of a DRZ400's crank case, and even to fix plastic fairing bits that were coming apart. I find this easier to carry and use than the two part liquid/paste epoxy stuff that you have to mix.

I also carry zip ties from the small 3-4" long ones up to thick 14" long ties.

I carry about 6-8 feet of stainless steel wire that is around 1/16" O.D. I just have it wound up in a loop and held with a small zip tie.

I also carry a pair of wire cutters, for trimming tire plugs, zip ties, bailing wire, and anything else I might need to snip.

Some folks like to carry duct tape as well. I don't just because it is bulky and gets messy when it gets hot and the glue gets all soft. That said, I have seen amazing repairs using duct tape!!

If you plan to keep doing the adventure riding thing, which often includes water crossings, you will want the tools needed to access and remove spark plugs. In addition to that, you should carry a small can of starter fluid or WD-40. This helps dry out the spark plug itself and shooting some into the cylinder can help with getting the last bits of water out. I did a trip years back to Arkansas where we had numerous bikes go under and get flooded. The first day no one had any starter fluid or WD40 and it was a nightmare. The second day we made sure to have some and it made things MUCH easier when it came to getting the bikes refired.

I carry 60 ft
Of para cord, plugs, patches, two part epoxy, , two ft of bailing wire, zip ties, matches, small led flash light, small pocket knife, steril Gauze, sterile sutures and super glue , as well as basic tools. On the bike, in the truck, and in my wife’s car. This minor emergency kit has come in handy many times and takes up very little space.
I do like the idea of the jb weld putty in stead of the epoxy.

Also. a 1 inch wide roll of gorilla tape from home depot. its duct tape on steroids and doesnt take much room.
and
couple travel size bottles of whiskey, for snake bites and such.

Back