• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

MC Camping on the Cheap

The Dallas REI location is also doing closeout prior to their move to NW HWY.

72a82b25c40137be291fd13a597971b2.jpg

To bring this back to cheap camping here's the pic M38A1 took of my campsite last weekend.

If you look closely you can see the USGI Goretex bivy sack tucked away under the trees. This is the second time I've used it and it only had minimal condensation. Temps were down in the mid 30's that night according to what everyone was saying and my feet agree because that's about when they get cold inside my current bag.

Cost $25 shipped off ebay.

Were those cinder blocks in the saddlebags or were you able to get them in the top case??? :-)

Small complaint here - but all packaged noodles or rice mixes ALWAYS use the white noodles and white rice that are not allowed on many doctor dictated diets (mine). Unfortunately it is not as easy to pour out the noodles or rice and replace with whole wheat and brown rice because the cooking times change more than a little. This is true of the canned pastas too. We get the least healthy option every time. <<Rant off.>>

Playing catch-up, here's my food knowledge:

Uncle Ben's now has already-cooked pouches of brown rice, both plain and flavored - I think they have a beans and rice one that's flavored. There are other brands too. HEB usually has at least some.

My favorite brand of pre-cooked is Tasty Bite, which leans towards Indian / Eastern flavors, but if you like those, you're golden. There are at least a dozen flavors of lentil/pea/bean-based stuff, or some that's spinach and mushroom, paneer (cheese, kind of like feta), etc. Already cooked, no heat needed but you can always heat it up. The Tasty Bite packages are bright yellow, and will be near the Uncle Ben's pouches. TB also has 3 or 4 different flavors of rice, at least one of which is brown. The selection of TB will vary from HEB to HEB.

Tasty-Bite.jpg

I should note, their Asian noodle selections taste awful to me.

The only way I can eat canned tuna is the Bumble Bee tuna medleys. They have lemon pepper, spicy thai chili, and tomato something. All 3 are excellent. Some flavors come in a 5-oz can, all 3 come in a 3-something-ounce can with crackers. I get the size with the crackers because I'm not big enough to eat a 5-ounce can of tuna in one go.

bumblebee_tuna_medley.jpg

If you can boil water and carry some freezer ziploc bags, portion out the dried bean soup stuff from the bulk bins at Central Market or Whole Foods. Boil the right amount of water, add to the ziploc, stir, close, and let sit 5 minutes. Way cheaper than Mountain House or other pre-packaged dehydrated anything.

I do the same freezer bag trick with instant/quick-cooking oats, plus some powdered dry milk - you can get small pouches at REI for a couple bucks, last you a good week or so, if not more. Cheapest (assuming you buy a big canister of quick oats, and not the pre-packaged flavored stuff), most mess-free hot breakfast I can imagine. I usually take nuts or something to add.

milkman_packet.png

String cheese will last several days at room temperature, longer at cooler temps. It's not too expensive per unit weight if you buy it in huge packs. I think it'll last awhile in the fridge, though, if you're only buying for yourself.

Awhile back, Whole Foods had these great dry sausage links, I think they were half a pound, for $7-8. Very tasty, lasted me 3 days at daytime temps no higher than 55*F. Haven't been able to find them since, though. Everything I see on amazon is $$$$.

I'm about ready to start making my own jerky or pemmican.

If you ever buy blueberries when they're in season, and discover the remains of a pint in the back of your fridge, leave it in there - those blueberries are drying out, and in a couple months you'll have a tasty somewhat-shelf-stable snack. Remember, those sell in the store for $18/lb or so. Discovered this by accident and have been drying blueberries in the back of my fridge ever since. I just leave them in the pint container, since it already has holes cut for ventilation. If you want to transport them for a trip, bring them to room temp in a sealed container with paper towels, so they don't collect condensation.

Last edited:
Yeah they have had a significant decrease in sales at that location because of the 635 project, plus being closer to the village and white rock lake puts them closer to their customers.

If you go to the new REI location, I can recommend eating at Black Forest Bakery across the street. Good German food.

If you go to the new REI location, I can recommend eating at Black Forest Bakery across the street. Good German food.

If that's where it is, that's a bit east of what I had hoped. I was picturing closer to Loop 12. Still, it's close to Central, which is a walk in the park compared to being on LBJ these days. And if German food is involved, I'm in!

I just upgraded from my bivy to one of these Catoma Advanced Bed Nets. I scored it for a little over $100 off that auction site and it satisfies my laziness when it comes to setting MC camp.

Unfortunately mine didn't come with the lady to set it up so I still have to do a little work.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1422802630467.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1422802630467.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 210
I really like it so far. It has one pole for the fly that packs down to about 1 ft long and doesnt need to be threaded through any sleeves

There are vestibules on each side for gear and the bug bivy is pretty huge. It's not tall enough to sit up in but might be if one opened the bug netting and sat up under the fly. I'm going to have to try that.

I really like it so far. It has one pole for the fly that packs down to about 1 ft long and doesnt need to be threaded through any sleeves

There are vestibules on each side for gear and the bug bivy is pretty huge. It's not tall enough to sit up in but might be if one opened the bug netting and sat up under the fly. I'm going to have to try that.

You may be my new hero

I just upgraded from my bivy to one of these Catoma Advanced Bed Nets. I scored it for a little over $100 off that auction site and it satisfies my laziness when it comes to setting MC camp.

Unfortunately mine didn't come with the lady to set it up so I still have to do a little work.

AKA, how to catch a motorcyclist. They just need to put some farkles in the middle and then snap it shut when one approaches to take the bait...

You may find this interesting:
[ame="http://youtu.be/lsIczezXBvI"]Setup Video - Catoma Outdoor EBNS.mov - YouTube[/ame]

interesting, very interesting.

but dagnabbit, i feel like i am married to the tent i have now...

I've been pretty happy with my Kelty tents, had two of them so far, decent price for the cheapskates and they are made to a pretty good quality level :)

interesting, very interesting.

The only issue I've had (and I was afraid of this) is repacking it.

I had to go step by step with a video to get it down because the instructions it comes with aren't real helpful. It was definitely worth practicing this at home.

I've been pretty happy with my Kelty tents, had two of them so far, decent price for the cheapskates and they are made to a pretty good quality level :)

I've had good success with Kelty also. I think they are a good value. The little Grand Mesa packs down fairly small with an end entrance and small vestibule. The Salida has two side entrances each with a vestibule.

I recently switched over to a Kelty Trail Ridge 3 and have been VERY happy with it. The trailridge is taller than the other lines while I could sit in my camp chair inside the Salida2 I had you had to be perfectly centered or you would drag on the netting.

The trail ridge 3 I picked up is only VERY SLIGHTLY larger than the Salida2 and has much more interior space :)

I've had good success with Kelty also. I think they are a good value. The little Grand Mesa packs down fairly small with an end entrance and small vestibule. The Salida has two side entrances each with a vestibule.

Kelty Grand Mesa II also great tent way way easier to set up than my Wal-mart beginners tent it replaced.

Based on everything I've ever seen or heard, Kelty is probably the best all around buy for most of us mortals who live on a tight budget but need to stay warm & dry a couple of weeks out of the year, with Eureka likely finishing second. There are far better products out there, but they come at a price. There are far cheaper products out there, but quality and performance may be disappointing. I should also include REI products in the all-around-bang-for-buck category. For many of us, these three brands really hit the sweet spot.

Back