• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Need sport tire in West Texas

randypower

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Looking for 180/55-17

I'm posting on behalf of @RoverT who just headed out to west Texas this morning for several days and got a nail in the tire not long into the ride.

They got it plugged, but not being an expert in plugging tires reduces confidence it will hold.

If anyone has a tire in the West Texas area (Alpine, Big Bend/Terlingua, Fort Davis) they'd sell him, we'd be grateful.

👍 I've read a lot of people that, though I have no experience myself and it's @RoverT 's first one.

My experiments in the past failed badly.. plug didn't hold. That was on a test tire, so nothing lost. I'm sure I was following instructions poorly.

I've only ever used the basic auto parts store sticky rope plugs and have confidence they stay put. I've tried to pull them out before and ended up pushing them in instead.
Worse is it may still have a slow leak.

Also remember a plug reduces the speed rating of the tire. I think the rule of thumb is 10%(?) I read it on some tire manu's site but cannot recall which one. Some folks will say all bets are off on speed rating with a plugged tire.

Dang i have a 120/70 17 front pr4 with a goog 3k left in it but no rear. Amazon gets em there fast or someone could ride one out. Why not ride into town and put one on?

I've ran string plugs for thousands of miles, my Vstrom has a plug in both tires now.... I Mounted a brand new Michelin Anakee rear on last October ...rode to Lowe's, got home and discovered a drywall screw it... less than 14 miles round trip

That's why when @RoverT text me earlier today my 1st suggestion was a plug.

Attachments

• 20220314_171552.jpg
    20220314_171552.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:
It really just depends on where in the tire the hole is. If it's midline, you should be fine. Just follow the destructions. In, twist, yank out, cut off excess.

If it's the sidewall, you can still plug it, but I'd look for a replacement quickly.

Either way, with top speed ratings normally in the 100+ area for sport bikes and tourers, keep to the speed limits and you should be fine. I can't tell what type of tire nor bike reading this thread.

I have a brand-new Bridgestone T30 sport touring tire in my garage. Bought it five months ago. 180/55x17. If your buddy is headed this way I will meet him down the road and give him a deal on it.

The group finished their ride without incident, as the plug held up!

That tire may be due for replacement soon anyway, which can be done without rush now.

Thanks for the support and follow-up.

plugs are highly underrated... its a marketing ploy to say you need a new tire immediately. Yes it might be a bit safer, but I've gone thousands on miles on plugs over the years.

I believe that, Ed, but with my lack of success when i practiced in my driveway, me plugging a tire would definitely be overrated. 🤣

I should practice again the next time i have a tubeless carcass to play with.

Last edited:
I believe that, Ed, but with my lack of success when i practiced in my driveway, me plugging a tire would definitely be overrated. 🤣

I should practice again the next time i have a tubeless carcass to play with.
Hi Randy if it's experience you want go buy a piece of land with lots of mesquite trees. You'll be a pro in no time plugging mower tires. 🚜

Hi Randy if it's experience you want go buy a piece of land with lots of mesquite trees. You'll be a pro in no time plugging mower tires. 🚜
I remember the plugs on my 3-wheeler looking like extra knobs on my worn out tires.

I have mesquite trees and chaparral which are way worse, but I just use fix a flat on the mowers :-) Not sure I've been tagged with the chaparral yet. I buy the wally mart brand foam, 2 cans at a time and if lucky only use em twice a year.

Back