• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Photo Assignment #10-ENTRY HERE-Beat the Heat

Reaction score
First Name
Brotha
Last Name
J
Post your single entry for Photo Assignment #10 - "Beat the Heat", in this thread.

All rules apply. Your entry has to have been taken between July 15th and July 27th midnight.

Please refrain from commenting on pictures (yours and others) until after the winner has been selected. Any comments posted prior to the announcement of a winner will be deleted. Pictures should stand on their own for your interpretation of "Beat the Heat". You may post only one entry but you may change it any time until midnight, July 29th.

I will open another thread, as per custom, for examples, experiments, comments, and critiques.

Good luck and have fun!
Brotha J

Last edited by a moderator:
DSCF0537.jpg

Alright everyone, pencils down!

The winner will be chosen and comments made on each entry by tommorow...this evening.

Thanks to all who participated!

thanks_graphics_16.gif

Any the winner is...SheNadya

This photgraph really captures something...SERENITY. The beauty of it is multifold. You have the woman in the water thumbing her nose to the summer heat, the rainbow (self explanitory), the land, to me, represents responsibility: far enough away to allow one to be unburdened.

Runner up: Tourmeister.
That facial expression is priceless. The image being a bit too underexposed, though, gave me pause.

Voni:
That is a great picture. The panoramic background is gorgeous! But it doesn't really tell a story. I would have liked to seen some activity.

M38A1:
Great composition! This shot really makes me thirsty.

PACMAN:
This really captures good clean family fun. It is, however, a bit out of focus.

Thank you all for participating. I'm hoping that these contests aren't dying out though. We are not getting very many entries.

Runner up: Tourmeister.
That facial expression is priceless. The image being a bit too underexposed, though, gave me pause.

Underexposed? :scratch:

This makes me wonder about the monitor settings of folks and highlights a bit of the problem with viewing of photos online versus on a print. To me it looks like it might be tending toward the over exposed side of the range :ponder:

The rainbow shot is great :clap:

This makes me wonder about the monitor settings of folks and highlights a bit of the problem with viewing of photos online versus on a print. To me it looks like it might be tending toward the over exposed side of the range :ponder:

I thought the same, a bit underexposed as well. Do the other water/pool pics in the discussion thread look dark to you?

Rainbow shot was great...besides the fact that somebody was brave enough to wade out in the water to take it.

I thought too bright was overexposed (too much light allowed). Too dark, underexposed (not enough light exposed). :shrug: I just play a photographer on the Interwebs.

The rainbow shot is great :clap:

I'm with you, it looks a little over exposed, unless I'm viewing it on my desktop at home. The CRT is going bad and everything looks dark.
it depends on the angle of the monitor when viewing on an LCD. Why is why I've heard some people in graphics say they prefer a CRT

Rainbow shot was great...besides the fact that somebody was brave enough to wade out in the water to take it.

I thought too bright was overexposed (too much light allowed). Too dark, underexposed (not enough light exposed). :shrug: I just play a photographer on the Interwebs.

you're right, overexposed = shutter left open too long (too much light comes in)
underexposed = shutter not open long enough (not enough light, so dark)

Perhaps Mr. Scott. On my monitor the image is slightly washed out.

Perhaps Mr. Scott. On my monitor the image is slightly washed out.

I think we may have a nomenclature issue

"washed out" also usually refers to too much light or overexposed.

I think we may have a nomenclature issue

"washed out" also usually refers to too much light or overexposed.

ON FILM
not enough light...underexposed (to light source)
too much light...overexposed (to light source)

On Digital we can adjust the brightness.
Overexposed= to dark
Underexposed= not enough light

ON FILM

Overexposed= to bright

you said the same thing twice, and the terms apply pretty much the same in both film and digital. The reason is on many of our cameras you can adjust the shutter speed (aka exposure). On the P&S cameras, this is done by changing the setting (sport, portrait, land scape, etc...)

To me, TM's photo was a little too bright, or washed out, or overexposed.
You mentioned it was under exposed (too dark) and said it was "washed out", you really can't have both

ON FILM

Overexposed= to dark

these two mean exactly the same thing
too dark = not enough light

I'm not sure why this is a hard concept to grasp

OK, everybody take a big breath. Go have a beer with Obama. Shake hands.

OK, everybody take a big breath. Go have a beer with Obama. Shake hands.

ah, but which beer?

personally I'd go with Shiner or a Mexican brew

I've started a discussion on EXPOSURE with some comparative shots. We can talk about it over there, ok?

...and I'll go with the Shiner thank-you-very-much. ;-)

Back