• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Photo Assignment #4: Night

I still haven't quite got my head wrapped around why you don't see me in the shot... but I am learning to understand it.....

Basically the background had more light on it than you did so the background shows through you.

I have been experimenting a little trying to get ready for this challenge.

Thought I would play some with "exposure".

I took this at dusk/nightfall tonight, just a few minutes ago actually.

520870201_2pU9W-L.jpg

I never understood how people captured these type of shots before. If someone else is like me, this is how I did it.

I chose f22 and a shutter speed of 6 seconds, with the camera on the tripod and using a remote release, I walked infront of the shot with a flash light. I still haven't quite got my head wrapped around why you don't see me in the shot... but I am learning to understand it.....

Very nice! I played with stuff like that on film 20 years ago. Another fun thing to do is zoom the lens during a long exposure, one with lots of lights in it. You can also put your flash on rear curtain sync and do the same thing. The flash will go off at the end of the exposure, freezing you with a trail of light behind you.

I have not fooled around much with night time photography... Here are a couple of shots from last night at Friday Ice Cream

BBoxPan.jpg

DSC01419.jpg

Now that I see them on screen I see things to adjust that were not obviuos at the time of the shot.... learning curve I suppose.

Here's one from a few years ago. We were camped out somewhere in Az (Gotdurt, Tx Rider, and myself). It is hard to see in this image, but there are four images of me, starting from a very hunched over caveman pose (lower left and hard to see here) to the upright pose, ending with modern man chugging a beer :chug:

FP07-197.jpg

Gotdurt wadoing the shooting and has the original full sized image which looks better. We must have tried 8-9 times to get this right. There wasn't much else to do that evening... :-P

Here's one from a few years ago. We were camped out somewhere in Az (Gotdurt, Tx Rider, and myself). It is hard to see in this image, but there are four images of me, starting from a very hunched over caveman pose (lower left and hard to see here) to the upright pose, ending with modern man chugging a beer :chug:
I remember that one and thinking 'What a perfect photo for the flow of human evolution!'

:mrgreen:

I like that photo.

I think a better camera and better skills would help me :ponder:

Always fun to try, though! :thumb:

Attachments

• DSC03520edit.jpg
    DSC03520edit.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 209
Can many adjustments be made with a nikon cool pix 5600? I have not really been able to find much.

This is pretty much what I have...taken about a month or so ago, I think I'm going to try some new ones soon..

These are unedited.. I'm not that good with P/S...I can add logos & stuff but thats about it.

I'd love to get a SLR...Some of my friends shoot for magazines and the pictures are just amazing...

KATSVARADsmall.JPG

AJsvarad3small.JPG

Haha! You fewelz! Haha!

You are forgetting about cutsie-family type pictures. Haha!

JamysNightinthePatch.jpg

Jamy's Night in the Patch (2006)

MarshmellowFlambe.jpg

Marshmellow Flambe :eek2:

WhatzNewKittyCat.jpg

What'z New Kitty Cat

JamytheBee1.jpg

Jamy The Bee (2005)

Last edited:
I think I've got a few...

259141930_LfEfC-M.jpg

259141992_ACETW-M.jpg

211877034_hDBR9-M.jpg

251254455_qoJLn-M.jpg

I wish the flower was really in focus for this one.
477642331_aNYsy-M.jpg

OK, there might be hope for me re: "Night" :mrgreen: I took the D40x downtown last night to see what I could drum up. All I did was convince myself this is hard work.

Our wonderful Capitol
04Night024_sm.jpg

The hotel's lights out front changed colors from blue to red to purple.
04Night035_sm.jpg

I love that capitol picture Scott.

Here are a few of mine. Some are kind of crappy, but what the heck.

IMG_1195.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

This really was night, but the sky light up bright after holding the shutter open.
May02AFuessen7.jpg

May8HarborBirthday35.jpg

I love that capitol picture Scott.
IMG_0003.jpg

Thanks.... I've got a few more of it from different sides.

So, how'd you do this one? I see the reflection of a 2.0 megapixel camera. But green and not 'camera body' looking?

That is the little point-n-shoot. The green is the lights around the outside of the MGM Grand.
I have one from the capitol, but I can't find it right now.

OK, there might be hope for me re: "Night" :mrgreen: I took the D40x downtown last night to see what I could drum up. All I did was convince myself this is hard work.

It is hard work, but very rewarding when you get a really good one. :thumb:

Let's see........."night" as defined by Texas traffic law is "from 30 minutes after sunset to 30 minutes before sunrise" if I recall correctly so this should qualify. :)

Let's see........."night" as defined by Texas traffic law is "from 30 minutes after sunset to 30 minutes before sunrise" if I recall correctly so this should qualify. :)

That is a beautiful photo, to be sure. :-P However, I would categorize this as a sunset/sunrise or dusk/dawn shot.

Back