• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

ROT Rally

I miss the Road Runners event myself. ROT won't sell just a one day pass, I have been and a couple of hours is about all I can stand. Grouchy old guy event it is not. So living a few miles from it , it just another annoying event. Like the marathons, bike races et el. Something I just deal with. OH yea and expect torrential down pours.:shrug: don't ask me why I just know it usually rains hard at least one day of the event.

Went 1 time. Saw my sister in law nearly naked.:puke: Not my thing.

I may try and make it maybe Friday and come back Saturday or a one day trip from Houston if I am not in Yeman .

I've never been to a rally of any kind, but was considering checking out the downtown bit on Friday. Any advice for a first-timer?

I've been a few times. Park away from the landing area down "all" of Congress. Last time I parked northwest of the Capital building and walked down. Once everyone arrives, the downtown area will be massed of people, so be patient with the crowds.

So many of the bikes are very similar in style, but wow are there some unique rides in the mix. Many of the riders show up in unique attire as well which also makes for an interesting show and plenty of photo ops.

My most negative impression of the parade is congestion downtown once everyone is there. Go with the attitude that moving around slow is good, and you should have a great time.

Well me and the friends i go with have decided to skip this year :giveup: its just way to hot :sun: with no relief in site just gonna save the money for cool stuff.

I've heard more bikes rolling past the building today than in recent weeks. I'm sure it'll pick up tomorrow and Friday.

And yes, it's hot here. I get home from work and just am done and that is only from a short commute on the bike.

Of the 35 years I've lived here, I have yet to go. I take it the event is this weekend?

I was out and about around 2:30. Lots of bikes making their way in. I've already encountered the first jerk of the season. After cutting across three lanes of traffic to cut me off so he could turn right, he starts yelling at me and gesturing wildly with his arm. I just pointed to my ear and shook my head indicating I couldn't hear him. :-P

So Kurt....

Based on prior years, what is your expectation re: calls for service this year? Or is that just a total wild card of a guess for any year?

So Kurt....

Based on prior years, what is your expectation re: calls for service this year? Or is that just a total wild card of a guess for any year?

Hard to say. We've had nine fatalities, and we've had none. Accidents aren't always coded as such and none of the codes are motorcycle specific. I can say anecdotally that we see a LOT of motorcycle accidents and there are always a dozen or more parked in front of the trauma centers during ROT weekend. Alcohol use is almost 100% in the ones I see. Inexperience seems to be another common theme.

With this heat I bet they set a record....tight jeans, leather, and obesity are not good combinations and there is plenty of that in order this weekend!!! :eek2:

I didn't know it was this week. I commute from North Austin to South Austin every day, this year I haven't noticed hordes of cruisers like I remember from years past, perhaps that starts tomorrow.

I've never gone to the actual event, but I have gone downtown for the Friday night stuff. They close Congress and let about a million bikes of every description park there free. It's the best bike show on earth.

One thing I learned. If you park your bike be sure and pick a place where you won't get surrounded. One year I came back to my bike after about an hour of rubber necking and found it surrounded by about a dozen bikes on every side.

Fortunately I'd ridden my Ninja 250, and was able to squeeze it out. Had I been on my FJR I'd have been there all night I expect.

We got our ride in today. Yes it was HOT! Not a lot of bikes out yet, normal traffic.

05.jpg

Not for me thank you. Last year I was fishing a tournament at Decker Lake. I heard the rumble of the bikes leaving their campsites in the morning for 3 straight hours. Also saw one dude bare **** naked taking a bath in the lake. Good thing I wasn't within casting distance with my crankbait!

First of all, I've been a couple times with my brother staying both onsite (camping) and in hotel downtown. It is for lack of a better term an experience, and for me was a good time since I don't take myself or "what kind of rider I am" too seriously. That being said, I can appreciate it's not for everyone and this year was not for us. There is no lack of unsafe things going on, but the things I've seen and memories I have from these trips with my brother are priceless. Just depends on your frame of mind I guess. Most dangerous part of trip for me...those pedi cabs! About dropped dad's K1200LT when one tried to go around me and forgot he had that giant thing attached to his bike.

I expect attendance will be down this year. Entertainment booked is poor, prices are up, and other costs of attendance like gas are also up. As much as I enjoy going, last year was horribly organized from check-in (tried to arrive in evening) to parking. Last year bikers had to ride a big perimeter road (not the "parade loop") passing HUGE EMPTY parking lots by the expo center to park on steep hills and far out gravel lots. No one directing traffic could be bothered with the stupidity of this decision and no one seemed to be "in charge" when I protested with several attendants and a cop. I was furious and to this day makes me a little hot to think about it.

After last year while eating upstairs at the restaurant, about 60 + naked dudes on bicycles paraded through.............we decided to take a break this year and take a cruise.

Yesterday afternoon, in rush hour stop and go traffic, my wife was almost rear ended by a goober that would wait for a gap to form, rev up his motor and rely on his brakes to stop him in time. I say almost rear ended 'cause he dumped it and slid on his side up to her rear bumper. :rofl: He got up and his buds helped him pick up the pieces so she drove on. An it was only Wednesday!

Thanks but no thanks--heading out to Inks Lake with some fellow clothed friends. Think this is going to create any unwanted traffic on hill country backroads?

Back