• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Sport Touring Helmet Arai?

Reaction score
I want to upgrade my Helmet to an Arai, as far as Sport Touring goes (I have a K1600GT) which one I should consider? They look all the same to me.
It should have great airflow, if possible vents can be closed for cold weather and support the more upright position when riding. BT cut out would be a plus too.

So if any Arai Fans are here, please let me know

What sets Arai apart for me is their different shell shapes, round oval, intermediate oval or long oval. I've worn their long oval for years and never found a better fitting helmet. So which model Arai to go with will depend on your head shape. Probably best to visit a shop with a good inventory of Arai helmets and figure out your preferred shell shape. If you haven't yet check out their website for shell shape info.

I’ll second what he said about head shape. I’m a long oval also and Arai is one of the few that fit my head.

I am good with intermediate oval. But thanks for the tip, basically the reason why they all look the same is they are for different head shape but not different style riding.

You got it. And you'll notice that not all color designs are available across model lines. I tend to wear a solid color helmet these days, but I used to get aggravated with Arai when they offered the perfect color design, just not in my preferred Signet model!

Big Arai fan, and I'd probably recommend a Shoei RF-1400 with a transition shield for best all around do everything helmet. If your dead set on Arai though it sounds like you know what 3 models you'd be looking at.

Attachments

• 20191201_173620.jpg
    20191201_173620.jpg
    264.2 KB · Views: 98
  • 20210319_144855.jpg
    20210319_144855.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 107
  • 20210319_175020.jpg
    20210319_175020.jpg
    287.4 KB · Views: 93
  • 20210517_160323.jpg
    20210517_160323.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 115
  • 20210524_232922.jpg
    20210524_232922.jpg
    189.1 KB · Views: 100
  • 20210911_180417.jpg
    20210911_180417.jpg
    182.4 KB · Views: 101
Head specific shape and the shield change system are what have kept me coming back to Arai over and over. RX-Q is currently my choice of do it all helmet that has served me well for sport touring and fits my head.

Big Arai fan, and I'd probably recommend a Shoei RF-1400 with a transition shield for best all around do everything helmet. If your dead set on Arai though it sounds like you know what 3 models you'd be looking at.

I thought Airflow is not great in the Shoei?

The only place I can tell where an Arai has more airflow is around the chin vent. OTOH there's a BIG difference in noise levels between the two. If I had to buy one helmet to do everything and if I wasn't concerned about graphics it would be the RF-1400. Hands down the most bang for the buck.

The only place I can tell where an Arai has more airflow is around the chin vent. OTOH there's a BIG difference in noise levels between the two. If I had to buy one helmet to do everything and if I wasn't concerned about graphics it would be the RF-1400. Hands down the most bang for the buck.

Ok, I will look into it. My wife has the Neotec2 and it seems a great helmet.

If you decide you have a Shoei shipped head, the GT Air 2 is designed to reduce wind resistance while riding in a more upright stance. The wind blast effect that you get with a sport / tucked in shape helmet when you are sitting upright and turning your head to check your blind spots is almost completely eliminated even at higher speed. A lot of people that complain about issues with wind protection or needing a bigger wind screen just have the wrong shaped helmet for their riding position. If you ride sitting up like a meerkat the GT air is a better choice. If you ride tucked in with your chin close to the tank, the RF 1400 would be better.

I used to swear by Shoei. I bought a GT Air the minute they came out. I have never had a helmet that fit that poorly. Even after months of fiddling I sold it. I do not feel it is a traditional Shoei shape but more oval. it was excruciating.

Quiet amazing airflow, but it never fit "right". I was good about 90 minutes then it felt like I had a vice on my skull.

I have an Arai Signet-X and have been very happy with the helmet. It fits the shape of my head, and it’s comfortable. Cycle Gear shop helped fit the model and they were spot on.

I bought the Defiant-X fits me perfectly and looks great in solid color. Only downside: the dark Smoke visor isn’t really dark and all pinlock inserts are sold out. I was about to get the Shoei RF1400 but they have no Visors in stock and the Arai just feels better on my skin then the Shoei

Back