• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Spring, TX to Benson, AZ - Follow my journey

Reaction score
For as long as I can remember I've been intrigued in the notion of riding 1000 miles in under 24 hours. Well come April I'm gonna take this notion and make it reality. Not only are we going to be doing this 1K Iron Butt ride we are taking 3 days coming back home visiting multiple interesting places.

To be totally honest.......I'm just pumped to be out on the road for more than one day.

It all starts here

Katy to Benson will be a great route for your first SS1000, no "corners" to capture on your documentation. lol

Just remember the setting sun when heading west, and don't forget to hydrate!

Paul, depending upon the time of day you're coming through, the area around the Continental Divide in NM, and the strip from Bowie AZ, through Willcox and into Benson can get quite cold in April so be prepared for that.

Ok, I've watched your videos and most of the advice you received was good. The one about not over-hydrating... not so much. You should be hydrating on a near constant basis, not just at every fuel stop. You will find the vast majority of the Iron Butt Rally riders all use a Moto Jug (or similar), or a hydration pack. If you don't have to pee at least at every fuel stop you're not drinking enough. If you feel thirsty, you are already behind the hydration curve.

Some comments based upon what I saw in the videos:

If you are going to drink any kind of alcohol, certainly don't put that in your videos and certainly don't talk about it. The home page of the IBA starts off with this statement:
"The 75,000+ members of the Iron Butt Association are dedicated to safe, long-distance motorcycle riding." When the 100+ riders are released to ride the IBR every two years they are admonished not to do anything stupid that would cast a bad light upon the association.

Time doesn't matter. As long as you finish the ride within 23H and 59M you have made it. There are no extra brownie points for doing it in 18 hours, or 17 hours or any other time frame. If you want to stop and take a nap, stop and take a nap. No biggie. Remember what's in the first sentence on the IBA page; "Safe".

One viewer commented about the receipts. Absolutely. Make sure you've read the rules and requirements for this ride and understand them. There's nothing worse than a newbie that fails to follow the rules, doesn't get approved, and then blasts the IBA for their "BS" rules. With the prep work you're doing for this ride I certainly don't anticipate you being "that guy".

REVER - try it, but it has a tendency to have a lot of glitches and drop tracking. I would not rely upon it for any backup for my certifications. I would however highly recommend a Garmin inReach or a SPOT, both of which can be tied into Spotwalla, the tracking system used by the IBA for major rallies.

Your drugs of choice are up to you, but I prefer Aleve which I take BEFORE starting my ride, and then again throughout the day / night. I eat a banana before the ride and I take Potassium pills. This helps with not only reducing joint pain but also in curtailing legs cramps after the ride. Hydration also plays a part in not getting leg cramps.

Speed. Scott was talking about being on I-10 with a 75 mph limit and running 80-90 mph. There's no need to do that. All you do is create more stress on yourself watching for the Po-Po, watching for hazards on the road with less time to react, watching other drivers, animals, etc, and you also create a fuel consumption issue. Oh, and if a trooper pulls you over for doing 90 in a 75, how much time do you think you're going to waste sitting on the side of the highway waiting for him to issue that ticket? Probably far more time than whatever you thought you were making up by speeding.

1,000 miles in 24 hours is an overall average of 43 mph. That's it. If your GPS tracks overall MPH and you're at 50 or above, you're golden. Don't worry about the hotel. Tell them to expect a late arrival. The hotel will still be there whenever you arrive.

Credit cards. Make sure you call your banks and inform them of your ride. Multiple uses of your card in a short period of time in multiple states is guaranteed to get your card shut off. Some banks (Wells Fargo) let you do this online, others require you to call them.

Battery life on your communicator. Will it charge while in use? If so, have a way to do that. If not, have additional batteries ready to swap out if your system allows for that. Otherwise, if you're at 25% capacity on a 600 mile ride, there's no way you'll have power left at 1,000 miles.

Have you read the pinned posts above?

Have you read the IBA Archive Of Wisdom?

Have you joined the IBA Forum? If not, this is where you'll find a lot of VERY experienced IBA riders. Read and learn. Once you're comfortable there you can ask to join the LDRider Mailing List. These are mainly the Old School riders who've been doing this for a very long time.

Bottom line, don't over-think this. The 1,000 mile ride is not difficult at all and you'll realize that once you've completed it. You have plenty of time. You don't need to rush at gas stops - when you hurry you make mistakes.

Once you've done this, then if you feel you want to do more you can start refining your fuel stop times. It's when you get into rides like the BunBurner Gold (BBG) which is 1500 miles in 24 hours that you really need to be on top of your game as there is no time to waste on that ride.

You're going to have a blast doing this.

Feel free to ask questions. There are several LD riders on this forum with more experience than myself to offer help and suggestions.

Last edited:
Have you already determined what you want to see, where you want to go after you finish this ride? If not, I live out here and can offer plenty of suggestions depending upon your interests.

Excellent responses Brian!

I wonder if the Trinity Site will be open? isn't that in April?? Some nice roads getting up there from where he will end his SS.

I wonder if the Trinity Site will be open? isn't that in April?? Some nice roads getting up there from where he will end his SS.
No, but I'm hoping the country gets it's stuff together this summer so that the October event gets approved.

Paul, if you enjoy the SS and want to try something different in the future, click on the "IBA Atomic 1000 SS1K Founding riders" in my signature link and see if that's something that might interest you. It's much more challenging because you have to be at a particular location within a specific number of hours on a specific day. Less than 20 people have this certificate so far.

In the last year or two I've gotten in to filming and editing so for this Iron Butt I'm digging into my creative side. With that said I've made this series of short 57 second shorts with 19 seconds of video in it to help promote it. We have some sponsors backing us, so I'm trying to do my part to help them out since they are helping us out. These videos don't have any sponsor mentions yet but I'm trying to build my subscriber base. Hopefully you guys enjoy these.

Paul, depending upon the time of day you're coming through, the area around the Continental Divide in NM, and the strip from Bowie AZ, through Willcox and into Benson can get quite cold in April so be prepared for that.
Yes, Paul...I can vouch for that. I went to HS in Tombstone just a short ride from Benson. Texas Canyon on I-8 is a great place to take a rest (a rest stop there) and take a few pictures. They actually made a tourist attraction of the caves that my brother and I found back in the late 60's. We just never told anybody about that.......
Have fun and watch out for Cochise Co sherrifs. They WILL write you a ticket for any infraction. Not real M/C friendly?....

Have fun and watch out for Cochise Co sherrifs.
In regards to that, when you're passing through NM you'll encounter various "Safety Corridors" where the traffic enforcement is stepped up. Normally I'd say find a rabbit and let them lead and you follow at a discrete distance, but in these corridors most of the folks I've seen pulled over have been by troopers that passed me (as I was doing the speed limit or slightly over) and caught up to those who were speeding. Some troopers tend to sit on the on-ramps watching the passing traffic and then they go after those that are obviously over the limit. My rule is to run just slightly faster than the semis in these areas since they're in communication with each other regarding where the troopers are.

I don't think I've ever been eastbound coming into Lordsburg, or westbound coming into Deming and NOT had a trooper or two running radar right after the speed limit drops.

I've been thru plenty of safety Corridors. I just follow the limits anyways. I'm not in a rush really but it's true those troopers sure do wait around for those speeding.

So when is this epic adventure actually occurring?

Safety Corridors, I don’t worry about them at all, I’m much more concerned about the UNsafe corridors.

I would add an additional piece of advice, base your fuel stops on the Run Out of Gas mileage of your bike based on running 100-120 mph. Those winds out west have left a many a rider sitting wishing they had topped off earlier.

We leave April 23rd @ 4 a.m. give or take and hoping there isn't some torrential downpour that morning if so we have the following weekend also scheduled just in case.

We do have intermediate alternative fuel stops that coincide with a 100-150 mile mark in case that happens or we just need a few extra breaks to stretch out. Plus we will both have those 1 gallon REDA gas cans on hand topped off.

That's for sure...and us. I don't mind the rain really. I have all the right gear but it's the other folks around me I don't feel comfortable about. There are already folks out there that drive like idiots on a good day, even worse when you add rain to the equation.

Brian has given you a boat-load of stuff...I'll just add a couple of others, lightly touched upon.

I did exactly one SS1000 with other people. Once. My first one. I'll never do that again. Time management begins to start sucking with more people and bikes involved. Well over 20,000 miles of Iron Butt riding and only twice was I a bit 'nervous' about a situation. I've blogged a lot about my rides; link in my sig.​
Every rider gets amped up about it. The night before, you won't sleep worth a crap, as a hundred things will rip thru a perfectly laid out plan.​
Oh, one more. Eat 'light' beginning a couple of days before your ride. Most people might have a 'meal' about half-way thru the ride, so you don't have to be concerned about eating again until you are off the clock. Typically, by then, you're mentally and physically exhausted, and you probably won't care to eat.​
Have fun!

So we completed the SS1000 on April 23rd without any major hitches. One electrical problem but it didn't slow down the ride, just made for an interesting troubleshooting event. We did it in 18hr23mins and finished doing about 1,047 miles. I will post up the ensuing videos in a short while. Thanks everyone for the tips as we did use many of them.

Congrats. I'm sure you'll agree that it's nowhere near as difficult as many folks would make it out to be.

I sure do agree. I will say that we were really good all the way and what drove that excitement was just being able to ride somewhere new. If i had to ride back home the same day I would not be as excited as I was doing it and going one way then taking a few days to get back.

Many folks do the one SS1K, submit their documents, get their certificate... and that's it. They do it just to show that they could do it.

Others will then do some more SaddleSores and work on reducing their stopping times, then they will look at doing other rides such as a Bun Burner or even a Bun Burner Gold. If they are successful than the world begins to open up for them with themed rides (for example, this coming weekend's Mother's Day rides) and possibly a 50CC, 100CCC, or even more. And somewhere along the way they hear about these things called Rallies, especially the Big Show... the Iron Butt Rally that begins in about two months and runs every other year. They think "hey, that sounds neat, how do I get involved", and they begin participating in smaller, regional rallies like the Heart Of Texas that was last week. And before you know it, they are addicted.
:cool2:

Back